Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2017, 08:27 AM   #1
TangReefer
Registered Member

Help with ID...

Hi guys,

I got this thing here growing on some rocks and kind of took over a green star polyps coral as well...anybody could help me with what is it and how bad it is?

TangReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 09:38 AM   #2
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Can you take another pic with the blues off? It can be hard to impossible to identify because of the color difference.

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 09:42 AM   #3
crawlerman
Registered Member

are they brittle, could be some kind of tube worm.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 09:43 AM   #4
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Could be the light, but looks like a bit of cyano on top of the frag in the first pic. Separate from the other white things though

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 03:28 AM   #5
TangReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMaster48 View Post
Could be the light, but looks like a bit of cyano on top of the frag in the first pic. Separate from the other white things though

Yes, I was fighting a bad case of cyano when the picture was taken but fortunately now that has been solved.

Regarding this post, I have taken some fresh pics today:

Thoughts?

TangReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 07:01 AM   #6
cincyjim
Registered Member

No idea. Are they soft or hard tubes (if they are tubes)? I didn't see a clean up crew but in case you do have one, do they touch the stuff?

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 07:43 AM   #7
JWClark
Registered Member

Looks like tube worms to me. I only have in the sump. Think fish keep them at bay in the display.

Somewhere on here is a thread about tubeworms causing coral damage but they are mostly considered benign. Think it was Karimwassif that started that thread--had/has a strain of tubeworms that spreads over coral skeleton and may have dissolved/drilled through some of his LPS skeletons.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 11:16 AM   #8
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Do any of them have a crown? Being that the tubes are created I would think you would see tiny worms crawling all over beforehand, especially on the glass. If not, my guess would be some sort of sponge. These things do come in all kinds of shapes, sizes & colors.

Last edited by AlSimmons; 11/16/2017 at 05:15 PM.
AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote