Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2017, 02:47 PM   #1
snowlynx
Registered Member

Who here keeps a Long Horn Cowfish?

What flowrate do you have you pump wavemakers running at?

How do you deal with the large amounts of fish waste?

I am currently running bare bottom 10 gallon with Aquclear 30
and AQ life 115 skimmer. I use a 200 GPH Hydor pump set to 50%,
I only turn this on 5-10 mins since the cowfish gets stressed from the high flow.

I am trying to figure best way to deal with large fish waste yet not being able to have high flow rate due to the cowfish likes it mellow.

I use a turkey baster every other day and trying to find other ways.
I tried poweed head with pre filter but it blows stuff every way, more than sucking up waste.

Thought of 1/2” PVC wih holes on bottom to suck up waste but still need a
decent powerhead and that means stick my hand in the water to remove
the polyfil.

Eventually will switch to a 20 gallon but still same issue.

I have snails conch cleaner shrimp but they cannot keep up with the cowfish.

snowlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 03:16 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I think you missed a zero..
You mean 100G and 200G tanks right?

Unread 12/14/2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Papermonkeys
Registered Member

I used to want a cowfish until I looked up how big the get =(
super cute when they are small

Papermonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 03:52 PM   #4
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

Haha ya mcgyvr he's using an Aquaclear 30 on a 100 gallon.

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 03:54 PM   #5
TokiHacker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferNoob4ever View Post
oh oh oh! That's rude and not a productive comment there reefernoob.

But in all seriousness even a 100 is a bit small for these beasts assuming they make it that far before nuking the tank. Do a little research through liveaquaria on these little beasts. They are cool but I personally think better left in the ocean after two bad experiences with them .

Unread 12/14/2017, 04:12 PM   #6
Tripod1404
Registered Member

I would return the fish if you still have a chance. That fish gets close to 2 feet and require 250+ gallons.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 04:14 PM   #7
Papermonkeys
Registered Member

^^ Did they nuke your tank when they didn't make it? I'm legitimately curious, I've seen some people having that experience but others that didn't . Some think it has to do with the manner they died.

But you are right, thinking about it, if they get as large as LA says (I think 18 inches) and if you have a 6ft long tank, thats already 1/4 of the tanks width, doesn't sound like a great experience for it.

Papermonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 04:15 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferNoob4ever View Post
The alternative is a cowfish in a 10g tank..
The aquaclear 30 on a 100g sounds like a better idea if we are ranking them

Unread 12/14/2017, 05:04 PM   #9
TokiHacker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papermonkeys View Post
^^ Did they nuke your tank when they didn't make it? I'm legitimately curious, I've seen some people having that experience but others that didn't . Some think it has to do with the manner they died.

But you are right, thinking about it, if they get as large as LA says (I think 18 inches) and if you have a 6ft long tank, thats already 1/4 of the tanks width, doesn't sound like a great experience for it.
They can nuke a tank if stressed and commit suicide that way, along with killing everything else in the tank

Unread 12/14/2017, 05:38 PM   #10
DreadCapn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
The alternative is a cowfish in a 10g tank..
The aquaclear 30 on a 100g sounds like a better idea if we are ranking them
Logic checks out, cannot argue!

OP, as mentioned above, take the clownfish back, this story does not have a happy ending.

I'm assuming you got this at an LFS. You should probably never listen to their advice again if they said that this was a good idea. If you have any doubts, just read the liveaquaria page:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/68/?pcatid=68

Avast Pegleg Skimmer
DreadCapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 05:42 PM   #11
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

Agreed mcgyvr. Eitherway, this is an unfortunate scenario that needs to be resolved ASAP!

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 07:42 PM   #12
snowlynx
Registered Member

Well, I been on this forum for few months. I know some are very helpful and I would get interesting comments from others.

Yeah, it is a 10 gallon, bare bottom, some live rock. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all Zero.
I know it might nuke the tank if it dies. It’s not going to grow 1 foot per day.

Even if it was in a 100 or 200 gallon, it does not like high flow so that was why I am
asking those who keep them.

I have had him for few months now. It likes to hover in one corner anyway, grazes on nori. Spits water to get my attention, lots of character.

Seriously though, those of you with smart comments, you probably have killed plenty of
fish, coral, anything else you have thrown in your tank, yet you like to burn others. Seen it over and over here on this forum.

Last edited by snowlynx; 12/14/2017 at 07:49 PM.
Unread 12/14/2017, 07:49 PM   #13
mrsixstrings12
Registered Member

Take him back. I made the mistake of buying one when I had a 38g. He ended up injuring himself on my HOB overflow and getting stuck to it. I had a low flow tank. I caught him before he actually passed and was able to keep him in a separate tank until he passed form his injuries. Soon after, I visited the local aquarium and saw that that fish grows about the size of my dog. They had one in a tank that I can only imagine was over 5000 gallons.

mrsixstrings12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 08:09 PM   #14
heathlindner25
Moved On

Type,erase.....

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 08:29 PM   #15
snowlynx
Registered Member

great advise

will upgrade to an aquaclear 50 and 12 gallon tank, buy a small sword fish and lobster for filter feeder. When the cow nukes the tank, surf and turf.

Unread 12/15/2017, 05:45 AM   #16
heathlindner25
Moved On

There's no turf in that scenario?

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 06:16 AM   #17
top shelf
Registered Member

It is extremely likely you won't get any advice from anyone other then take it back. You came seeking advice and you got it, just not what you wanted to here. It's also likely that when offered solid advice and you choose to ignore it people will be less apt to wanna help you in the future because they figure you'll ignore it anyways. A 12g tank isn't going to make a difference, that fish don't choose to be removed from the ocean but you chose to buy it so it is your responsibility to take care of and provide for that fish so your philosophy of if it dies it dies I'm sorry it's plain ignorant. Bottom line that fish needs to go back.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 07:20 AM   #18
kevin21
Registered Member

That^

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 07:25 AM   #19
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlynx View Post
it does not like high flow so that was why I am
With a larger tank as required for this type of fish you can have areas of higher flow like around the bottom of the tank to keep detritus in suspension while still having lower flow areas.. This is simply done with proper powerhead placement.
In a small tank like you have you do not have that luxury as the flow required to perform the same function will effect the entire tank.

You are right in that many/most/all of us have corals or fish or whatever die..
But there is a difference in one doing everything they can and following all the recommendations that are out there and still having an animal die or whatever vs blatantly ignoring commonly accepted/clearly defined care recommendations... Even though the fish is small now they can grow quite rapidly and it just has no business in such a small tank..

Unread 12/15/2017, 08:46 AM   #20
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokiHacker View Post
They can nuke a tank if stressed and commit suicide that way, along with killing everything else in the tank
I had one in QT in a 40g breeder, the cowfish died and the other fish in the QT were fine. They rarely nuke tanks, same is true with sea apples

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 08:49 AM   #21
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Like everyone has said, your tank is way too small. Anything under 200g isn't going to be large enough for the cowfish. I would argue that a 10g tank is too small to QT the cowfish in even in the short term.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 09:11 AM   #22
Rover88
Registered Member

Would you keep a Great Dane in a 300 sq. ft apartment and wonder why it leaves big craps on the floor?

The tank is too small for the fish.

To give you a HELPFUL answer, get a siphon and clean it manually every day. If you want to keep an oversized fish in an undersized tank, be prepared to spend a lot of time cleaning up every mess it leaves so the water conditions stay good. You'd have better luck, as the forum has told you, upgrading tanks.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 09:15 AM   #23
TokiHacker
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I been on this forum for few months. I know some are very helpful and I would get interesting comments from others.

Yeah, it is a 10 gallon, bare bottom, some live rock. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all Zero.
I know it might nuke the tank if it dies. It’s not going to grow 1 foot per day.

Even if it was in a 100 or 200 gallon, it does not like high flow so that was why I am

I have had him for few months now. It likes to hover in one corner anyway, grazes on nori. Spits water to get my attention, lots of character.

Seriously though, those of you with smart comments, you probably have killed plenty of
fish, coral, anything else you have thrown in your tank, yet you like to burn others. Seen it over and over here on this forum.
If this is your opinion, why not just do whatever you want since you are not going to accept anyone's recommendations anyways. You asked we said. Doesn't matter if you liked it or not. You need to do what is right for the fish not your viewing pleasure.

Unread 12/15/2017, 10:14 AM   #24
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
What flowrate do you have you pump wavemakers running at?

How do you deal with the large amounts of fish waste?

I am currently running bare bottom 10 gallon with Aquclear 30
and AQ life 115 skimmer. I use a 200 GPH Hydor pump set to 50%,
I only turn this on 5-10 mins since the cowfish gets stressed from the high flow.

I am trying to figure best way to deal with large fish waste yet not being able to have high flow rate due to the cowfish likes it mellow.

I use a turkey baster every other day and trying to find other ways.
I tried poweed head with pre filter but it blows stuff every way, more than sucking up waste.

Thought of 1/2” PVC wih holes on bottom to suck up waste but still need a
decent powerhead and that means stick my hand in the water to remove
the polyfil.

Eventually will switch to a 20 gallon but still same issue.

I have snails conch cleaner shrimp but they cannot keep up with the cowfish.
Quote:

The answer to what people do for the large amounts of waste for this fish is to have a larger setup that supports more filtration and more water volume for stability. Also, what mcgyvr said about the flow situation.

People's comments towards your situation aren't being smart a**, they are being reasonable and honest.

If you are looking for someone on here to tell you that they believe what you are doing is fine, look elsewhere.

Yes, plenty of us have made lots of mistakes. Those mistakes and successes from learning from them are what makes up most of our common knowledge about this hobby. Peoples recommendations generally aren't blind to that. It forms the basis for our discussions on this forum. But to say "you made that mistake and learned from it, so I reserve to ignore your learnings and make the same mistake even though I asked your opinion" seems pretty counterproductive.

It's your money, your fish, your tank. Ultimately you can do whatever the heck you want. But when you post about keeping a fish that requires a minimum of 250 gallons in a 10 and say you are planning on upgrading to a whole 20 gallons, don't expect many, if any, positive comments.

Not being disrespectful, just being realistic.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 10:21 AM   #25
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
Also, what mcgyvr said about the flow situation.
Its like when Nemo was on the edge of the reef feeling the effects of that strong current and then that surfing turtle came along and saved the day..

So I think you just need a surfing turtle..