Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2009, 12:55 PM   #1
zack1a
Registered Member

Box fish - Cow Fish?

I would like to hear from anyone who has kept any of these fish. What did you like/dislike about them.

Give a man a fish and he will have to spend about two grand on a setup.

Current Tank Info: JBJ RL 30
zack1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2009, 05:12 PM   #2
brynkal
Registered Member

We have a thornback cowfish, and there is nothing we dislike about her! Tanica (the cowfish) is in a 30 gallon cube (she's only a baby, about an inch long, she'll need a bigger home, she's growing) in the family room where we spend most of our time, and we watch her a lot, she's just so cute...we have a 210 gallon reef tank, but she's more fun to watch!

Cowfish have loads of personality. She spends the day grazing at things on the rocks. She eats flake food, frozen, loves algae (the tank is a macroalgae tank, so when I move pieces around or shake them, little stuff floats away, and she is on it). Her favorite food appears to be Rod's frozen. They can take bigger things into their little mouths than you might think. They can also move faster than you would think, although probably not quick enough to get food if kept in a tank w/ faster fish.

They know who you are, and that you feed them; if you go to the tank, they come to look at you, and go up to the top, assuming that you're going to be putting in some food. We would highly recommend one!

brynkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2009, 10:02 PM   #3
zack1a
Registered Member

How do you think she would do in a Reef? What do you think the risk of her poisoning your tank is? From your description the personality sounds like that of a puffer fish I once had.

Unread 01/28/2009, 10:56 AM   #4
rguyler
Registered Member

I absolutely love cowfish/boxfish for personality and compatibility, much like many puffers (another personal favorite). They tend to be very tame and will hand feed easily. I don't know about putting one in a reef tank though. A small one may be okay for awhile but sooner or later I think it will munch on things you don't want it to. I would also be afraid of the poison thing although you have to think that a reef tank would be the least stressful environment.

If you do decide to try it, keep it well fed with frozen food right from the start and don't stress it out! ;-)

Current Tank Info: 120G Reef - AI Hydra 26HD lighting, AquaC Skimmer, Reeflo Blackfin Pump, Gyre XF250 Dual Pumps, Aqua Medic Dosing Alk/Ca/Mg & Vinegar, HydroFill Ti ATO, Basement Sump w/Refugium and Kessil 160 Blue Lights
rguyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2009, 04:59 PM   #5
brynkal
Registered Member

You read everywhere about the potential for a sick/stressed cowfish to poison the tank, but then I have never seen anyone who has actually had it happen.

That said, I think they might pick on snails, shrimp, etc when they get big, And if there are fast fish, they might not get enough to eat...

brynkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2009, 06:13 PM   #6
FishyMel
Registered Member

Boxfish poison is only toxic to vertebrates, invertebrates like coral are ok. As far as how safe they are I here they are dangerous to the animals like crustaceans. I don't know for sure but I will find out next week when my male hawaiian boxfish is in my reef. I'll tell you how that goes.

FishyMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2009, 10:44 PM   #7
zack1a
Registered Member

Awesome, I'm always looking for something that not everyone has. I think I'm going to try it. Thanks for the responses and I look forward to see what everyone else has to say.

Unread 01/28/2009, 11:39 PM   #8
FishyMel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FishyMel
I here they are dangerous to the animals like crustaceans.
Typo, I meant to say "I hear they are dangerous"

FishyMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 07:44 PM   #9
lunker
Registered Member

I have had my cowfish ina reef for 2 years now, not a single problem!!. I bought him at around the size of a dime, this is actually the second cowfish I have had in a reef, the first one wasd about 4" and nipped at my brain coral in 2 days, I dont know if the fact that when their small they arent used to eating coral yet?. Great fish, very personal, and with all the corals in my tank, the cowfish is the first thing people ooogle over. Good luck

[IMG]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums

lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 10:09 PM   #10
sunfishh
Registered Member

Great pics Lunker

Unread 01/29/2009, 10:18 PM   #11
zack1a
Registered Member

How much has he grown in the 2 years you have had him? How big is he now?

Unread 01/30/2009, 09:04 AM   #12
LisaD
That's not a salmon

I have a reticulate boxfish in a 55. It has never bothered any corals, and is a wonderful addition. They aren't very common, but IMO are ideal, as they have a nice pattern, great personality, and don't get over 4 inches. Mine buzzes all over the tank, and is constantly begging for food.

Here are some not very good pictures:

and here is what an adult male looks like!

male with female:

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment

Last edited by LisaD; 01/30/2009 at 09:10 AM.
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2009, 11:04 AM   #13
rssjsb
Registered Member

Lisa - do you have any other fish with her? Also, where did you find her? I'm wondering if this fish would work in a 40 gallon tank. I've been looking for a peaceful interesting fish for this tank, which currently houses a bluestripe pipefish and a tiny rusty goby - neither of which I ever see except at feeding time.

Unread 01/30/2009, 11:32 AM   #14
LisaD
That's not a salmon

I got this fish from liveaquaria Diver's Den, $40. There were two, and I wish I got both. I've never seen them for sale before or since.

The fish is in a 55 with:
green wolf eel blenny (have had it about 4 years)
marine betta - got it last year, at the same time as the boxfish
two seahorses - but for now, seahorses are moved because my golden dalmation dogface puffer is temporarily in the tank until I can move a puffer-cidal eel out of the 210.

this is an eclectic tank mix, but the boxfish has done great. she hangs out with the puffer, now.

I think you could have one in your 40, maybe even a pair, but they don't seem to be easy to find. most other boxfish get bigger.

Unread 01/30/2009, 12:44 PM   #15
zack1a
Registered Member

Was the other one a male ? Wow, if I could find a pair of them I would be set! Thats pretty cool that she buddied up with your puffer (one of my favorite fish). What kind of seahorses are do you have?

Unread 01/30/2009, 01:25 PM   #16
LisaD
That's not a salmon

t\They were both juveniles/females (they look the same). Kevin Kohen, Director of Liveaquaria, told me that males never come in. If I got two, them maybe one would grow up to be male.

My seahorses are both females, one is Hippocampus reidi, the other is H. comes.

I'm not a good photographer, but here are the seahorses:

My puffer won't be staying in that little tank, he is destined for the 210. This is the puffer, also from LA Diver's Den:

Unread 01/30/2009, 02:01 PM   #17
zack1a
Registered Member

That puffer is beautiful. I just sent an email to live aquaria so hopefully I can set something up or at least get notification should something come in. Now I have another question, since I can't order this on my terms and it will most likely be a spur of the moment thing, if something becomes available could I put them in a 30g L? This is just a senario, but I want to make certain that if I have to snatch these lil' guys up before my in-wall set up is finished they will be ok.

Unread 01/30/2009, 03:02 PM   #18
rssjsb
Registered Member

Zack - I just posted a question about these fish in the vendor forum. LA has acknowledged the question, so keep an eye out for their response. Unfortunately, this fish is not a species that they normally stock, so there is no option for an email notice that I've been able to find on the LA site.

Unread 01/30/2009, 03:29 PM   #19
LisaD
That's not a salmon

thank you for the compliment on the puffer. it is a pretty unique version of a dalmation dogface. they usually don't have yellow on them. there is a really nice regular dalmation dogface on blue zoo aquatics site, if someone hasn't already snapped it up.

if you get a pair of juv reticulate boxfish, I think they would be okay for a while in a 30L, just keep parameters high. I wouldn't leave them in there long term, but short term should be fine.

you may try looking into some of the other Ostracion boxfish. O. meleagris is more commonly available:

male

female

According to fishbase, this species gets about 9.8 inches, so while considerably larger than the reticulate boxfish, still doable for moderately large systems, say 90+ gallons.

Good article:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/boxfishes.htm

Unread 01/30/2009, 03:48 PM   #20
Juice It
Registered Member

My local store has a cute little cubicus about the size of a quarter. ANyone have experience with them? He is a little yellow guy with black spots. I was thinking about puting him in my little reef until he had a little size on him and then move him to my fish only.

Juice It is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2009, 04:10 PM   #21
LisaD
That's not a salmon

well, they do get 18 inches, and change quite a bit as adults. and I would be careful about tankmates.

this species wouldn't be my first choice.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...article_id=197

Unread 01/30/2009, 04:44 PM   #22
Juice It
Registered Member

Yeah, I think I will pass on it. I agree some of the others are better choices. I do wonder though about fish max size in the wild compared to in captivity. I have seen many fish that the books say would grow to 2 feet stay less than 10 inches even after being in captivity for many years.

Juice It is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2009, 05:00 PM   #23
rssjsb
Registered Member

Lisa - Could you say something about what you did to acclimate your boxfish when you added it? I would think that this would be one of the riskiest times for these fish in terms of stress/toxins.

Also, various places cite "bright lights" as stressors that could lead to a release of toxins. How is your tank lit? The tank I've got in mind has MHs, but I've been thinking of scaling back a little to save on energy anyway.

(Zack, I hope this is of enough interest to you to avoid qualifying as a hijack.)

Unread 01/30/2009, 06:53 PM   #24
zack1a
Registered Member

All of these are great questions! I was thinking about the acclimation piece too, thats got to be the most difficult time.
I think the lighting issue refers to the "flash" when they start suddenly. Do you think if you have your actinics turn on first then the bright lights it would be ok?

Unread 01/30/2009, 08:17 PM   #25
rssjsb
Registered Member

That sounds like a logical solution. Unfortunately, the ballast in this fixture for my actinics burned out (and up) about 6 months ago. I really should replace it. If I ever find one of these fish, I'll have an incentive.