Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2015, 12:36 PM   #1
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Do Rainbow Chalice frags need all colors to grow all colors?

I've heard this from some people. I believe the color is determined by the DNA of the chalice, however I could see how the initial flesh that grows would be the color of the flesh it's stemming from. So it may be influenced by this. The reason I ask is that I just bought a SC dynamite frag that is blue with green/yellow rim and green eye, with only a tiiiny streak of red. I'm wondering how much red I'll get.

Crappy pic but you can see the little flashes of yellow in the rim and the tiny streak of red down the bottom left of the rim as well. I got a sick deal so even if it stays mostly blue green/yellow I'll be happy.

Thanks!

BigJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2015, 12:40 PM   #2
alf03
Registered Member

It'll get more red in it eventually but it takes a really long time. But once it grows out it'll mostly be blue than red.

alf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2015, 12:55 PM   #3
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf03 View Post
It'll get more red in it eventually but it takes a really long time. But once it grows out it'll mostly be blue than red.
Cool, I prefer the blue anyway. What is that assumption based on? Are you referring to my piece specifically or any that doesn't have much red. What if there is no red in the frag?

Unread 11/10/2015, 01:06 PM   #4
alf03
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
Cool, I prefer the blue anyway. What is that assumption based on? Are you referring to my piece specifically or any that doesn't have much red. What if there is no red in the frag?

Yea based on your piece. If it hasn't red I think it will eventually get it to come in if it had it in its mother colony. But from my frags before I always usually bought frags with all the colors in it because I'm very impatient. Haha

alf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2015, 05:33 PM   #5
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf03 View Post
Yea based on your piece. If it hasn't red I think it will eventually get it to come in if it had it in its mother colony. But from my frags before I always usually bought frags with all the colors in it because I'm very impatient. Haha
Cool, yea that's what I think too. Regardless it will come in, but if the frag has it then it will come in faster. I'm glad I have 4 colors in my frag! Hopefully will speed it up a little bit. Going to be a doooope chalice regardless.

How many rainbows do you have and which ones? Got any pics?

Unread 11/27/2015, 08:06 PM   #6
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Well this chalice turned half red and yellow a week after I got it so the answer is no, it doesn't matter haha.

Unread 12/11/2015, 07:27 PM   #7
BigJohnny
Registered Member

And here's what it looks like now, can barely even tell it's the same frag! Already has a 2nd eye

Unread 12/11/2015, 09:28 PM   #8
purplereef
Registered Member

So your frag went from all blue and green and just a hint of red to all red and yellow and green in a week?

Current Tank Info: 120xl Elos.
purplereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2015, 10:53 PM   #9
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Yea haha, it keeps evolving. So sick. The guy i bought it from says it will continue to change and its really obvious when its a colony and its shifting all over the place.

Mine went from all blue with green eye and green rim + one red hairline streak, to 75% red with small blue spots and orange rim, with a yellow eye and 25% blue with green rim. There's also a new green streak through the red/orange rim and a new yellow eye. It's the most epic chalice/coral coloration I've ever seen. The piece just glows and there are slight changes daily. Sexy Coral Dynamite Chalice is a perfect name. Sexy corals sells frags for $1500......now I know why.

Last edited by BigJohnny; 12/11/2015 at 11:03 PM.
Unread 12/12/2015, 08:29 AM   #10
purplereef
Registered Member

Do you have it high light currently? Also are you lighting your tank with LED's?

Unread 12/12/2015, 08:35 AM   #11
Isaacs55
Registered Member

Wow that's awesome that it's doing that! It's cool to see it change colors over its growth periods. Keep taking pictures to see the color growth pattern.

You may have to drag a piece off for me when it gets a little bigger haha

"It doesnt hurt to Read...Read...and Read some more"
"You dont know where you're going, until you know where you've been"
New Tank Build: 40 gallon mixed Reef

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon mixed Reef, Mars Aqua LED
Isaacs55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2015, 10:27 AM   #12
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplereef View Post
Do you have it high light currently? Also are you lighting your tank with LED's?
Well that depends what you consider high light. I have it about an inch off of my sandbed so not high light in my tank, however that's still about 180 PAR. I have an ATI Sunpower with 4 Blue+, 1 Coral +, 1 Purple +. I feed it Mysis once a week. Alk 8.5, Calcium 420, Mag 1450, Nitrate 0-4 ppm, Phosphate .02-.04 ppm. I've only had it for a month.

Unread 12/12/2015, 10:37 AM   #13
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs55 View Post
Wow that's awesome that it's doing that! It's cool to see it change colors over its growth periods. Keep taking pictures to see the color growth pattern.

You may have to drag a piece off for me when it gets a little bigger haha
Yea its dooooope. I agree, I will definitely continue to log pics. I'm also picking up a 3 eye frag of Sexy Corals Atom Bomb which is another epic rainbow chalice. I look forwarded to seeing that grow out as well.

As far as the frag, I gotchu bud. It has already grown a 2nd eye in one month so at that rate I'll have a colony in no time. I plan on splitting it at some point and using one half to grow out a display colony on the rocks, and the other half for growing out and selling frags.

Unread 12/12/2015, 10:43 AM   #14
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Here is the 3 eye atom bomb frag in the sellers tank, well see what it looks like after a week in my tank :

You can see again it's primarily green and blue, with some hints of red and yellow this time. Something about the make-up of his water and lighting may steer chalice towards green and blue, while mine asks them to taste the rainbow Only time will tell!

Unread 12/12/2015, 12:03 PM   #15
purplereef
Registered Member

Great job Johnny. I wish I could get my WWC Jellybean colony to color up like that. I have a 8 bulb ATI Powermodule. I will try moving my chalice closer to the center of my tank to see if I can get the red color to show up. I am giving it a lot less then 180 par. Thank you very much for your tank parameters and posting your info on your sweet chalice. Dan

Unread 12/12/2015, 02:15 PM   #16
jbm421
Registered Member

Do these guys do better in lower par for the most part?

jbm421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2015, 06:57 PM   #17
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplereef View Post
Great job Johnny. I wish I could get my WWC Jellybean colony to color up like that. I have a 8 bulb ATI Powermodule. I will try moving my chalice closer to the center of my tank to see if I can get the red color to show up. I am giving it a lot less then 180 par. Thank you very much for your tank parameters and posting your info on your sweet chalice. Dan
Thanks boss. I'll be interested to hear how that works out for you. I personally would do that very slowly because I've been told some rainbow chalice are very sensitive. Also they have varying light and flow preferences. Who knows, maybe the SC Dynamite is unique in the way it evolves, changing colors etc. The WWC Jellybean is sick regardless.

I'll ask my guy about the WWC Jellybean and whether it changes as much or if what you see is what you get for the most part, he'll know for sure. No joke, he has over $100,000 in rainbow chalices in his frag tank alone. Every single one you can imagine, he's got it. I call him "The Candy Man" haha.

Unread 12/12/2015, 07:08 PM   #18
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm421 View Post
Do these guys do better in lower par for the most part?
I would say most require low to medium par, which the definition of can vary greatly from person to person. It also depends on which chalice your referring to. While some are similar, others have different requirements. I was told my SC Dynamite liked medium light and medium flow. I'd say my 180 PAR is on the high side of that recommendation. Some would consider that high par.

If there is one you are referring to specifically, I can ask the candy man for ya.

Unread 12/13/2015, 04:00 AM   #19
Isaacs55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
Yea its dooooope. I agree, I will definitely continue to log pics. I'm also picking up a 3 eye frag of Sexy Corals Atom Bomb which is another epic rainbow chalice. I look forwarded to seeing that grow out as well.

As far as the frag, I gotchu bud. It has already grown a 2nd eye in one month so at that rate I'll have a colony in no time. I plan on splitting it at some point and using one half to grow out a display colony on the rocks, and the other half for growing out and selling frags.
Sweet! Well as soon as that happens let me know and I'll buy a few frags from you!

"It doesnt hurt to Read...Read...and Read some more"
"You dont know where you're going, until you know where you've been"
New Tank Build: 40 gallon mixed Reef

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon mixed Reef, Mars Aqua LED
Isaacs55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 03:19 PM   #20
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Wow, it already has 3 eyes! This chalice is nuts!

Unread 12/15/2015, 06:25 PM   #21
broke1
Registered Member

I would assume it has all the pigments in it, but it will be predisposed to display those colors in a preset way. Beautiful piece by the way.

Current Tank Info: Too big, yet too small
broke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2015, 04:04 PM   #22
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke1 View Post
I would assume it has all the pigments in it, but it will be predisposed to display those colors in a preset way. Beautiful piece by the way.
Thanks, yes but light/flow/water quality have a huge impact clearly. I also believe what and how often you feed it matters. I feed mine small Mysis 1x a week.

Here's an updated shot, 3 eyes and some more growth! I can't believe it added 2 eyes in 1 month, I hope that growth rate continues!

Unread 01/08/2016, 10:25 PM   #23
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Updated SC Dynamite:

And a similar transformation is happening with my SC Atom Bomb frag! Turning from mostly all blue and green to having some splashes of red and yellow! Hopefully it continues to evolve

Last week:

Today:

Unread 01/16/2016, 03:17 PM   #24
BigJohnny
Registered Member

SC Atom Bomb today, the coloring up continues! Usually see growth/coloration change the morning after feeding:

Unread 01/16/2016, 09:17 PM   #25
burton14e7
Registered Member

It looks fantastic!

Current Tank Info: Currently awaiting relapse.
burton14e7 is offline   Reply With Quote