Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2017, 11:53 AM   #1
saltywet
Registered Member

Just purchased the 9410 DC skimmer

Hi Roger,

I just ordered the Tunze 9410 DC skimmer during the President Day sale.

Do you have any recommendation on how to set up the air intake to allow for soda lime in a media reactor to help increase pH in the tank?

Thanks

saltywet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 10:47 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The best option is to pump the air through the reactor into the intermediate chamber under the cup with a small air pump, something around 300 l/hr as we don't want to pressurize the chamber. This will keep everything working stock, an alternative is to bypass the unit over foam feature and hook the silencer directly to the scrubber, besides bypassing the anti over foam feature it would also add a restriction to air flow. If you use the air pump, by sure install a check valve in the air line so if antioverfoaming is active water cannot back up into the scrubber.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 09:49 PM   #3
saltywet
Registered Member

Hmm, sounds kinda technical without actually getting my hands 'dirty' on the physical unit. I will wait for the unit to arrive before I ping out to you again.
Thanks!!!

Unread 03/05/2017, 08:13 PM   #4
saltywet
Registered Member

Okay, I have the new skimmer installed. Since, I keep it in my office, I will have to wait until Monday to see my skimmate.

Can you tell me what each white line indicates on the DC air dial? It goes from 20% to 100% Does each white line mean 10% increment?

Unread 03/06/2017, 10:54 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is not really a precise scale. You will generally be running the pump between 20-50% though, the DC pumps have a lot of power to spare and are run at the lower speed range. You could use more power with a taller cup/reaction chamber.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 03/06/2017, 10:18 PM   #6
saltywet
Registered Member

The lower the water in the sump (i.e. 5.5" vs 7") the higher the percentage of air I can get into the pump. Am I wrong to assume, if I can get more air into the hydrofoamer pump, I can get a higher pH?

There are no taller cup/reaction chamber adjustment I can make on the Tunze skimmer right? It is only through adjustment of the water sump level where the skimmer sits in?

Unread 03/07/2017, 10:00 AM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

You won't be able to use more air without resulting in a foam over. The taller cup options are the 9015.140 cup which is nearly double the height and the 9020.140 foam extractor which is about 75% taller. These would allow more air use and increase the skimmer capacity. In general the water will leave the skimmer saturated with oxygen regardless of the pump setting, this is only the amount that is processed per hour that is affected. pH will largely be a result of removing CO2 and that is likely to be identical to the CO2 level in the house with good flow and modest skimming, short of a scrubber or outside air, it is not likely to be much gain either way. A lower water level than 7" will likely result in noise.

Unread 03/07/2017, 09:43 PM   #8
saltywet
Registered Member

"A lower water level than 7" will likely result in noise"

Roger, thanks! That is my next question. My skimmer started to make a strange vibration like sound in the pump or in the skimmer chamber. The sound goes away when I pinch the airline hose in the hydrofoamer silence. However, it comes back pretty quickly.

Is this due to water height being less than 7" or is something else going on?

My water level is about 7"

Also, What do you recommend in the 'main' foam head line being away from the top of the collection cup?

Unread 03/08/2017, 09:25 AM   #9
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I know what is wrong, I have had a couple such reports and we found that the wrong air intake was used, the bottom portion of the pump. The DC version needs a different model from the AC version and this was a production mistake. I will have the right intake here next week, if you pm me your address I will send one. The air intake nipple position in relation to the impeller causes a buffeting with the speed of the DC pump. You can run it for now and the new part will solve the noise.

I would just adjust based on what collects in the cup, too dry, turn up the pump speed, too wet, turn it down.

Unread 03/08/2017, 10:31 PM   #10
saltywet
Registered Member

It is very nice to work with a person that promptly responds to questions. More importantly, knows their product very well!!

Your company is very lucky to have you representing them.

I plan to run my skimmate more on the wetter side because I use NOPOX carbon dosing. I am having trouble getting a wetter skimmate even at full power.

I believe my next step is to increase the sump water level up from 7" to 9".

Am I going about this in the right direction?

Red Sea NOPOX wants wetter skimmate to skim out the PO4. Since running dryer skimmate, my PO4 has gone from 0.07 to 0.23 in about two days.

Unread 03/09/2017, 10:07 AM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Yes, this would result in wetter skimmate, you could also just raise the basket on the outlet, this is also a possible adjustment, if you raise it above the pipe it will also have an effect. I am puzzled though as usually much beyond half power the skimmer will be foaming over, I don't know enough about NOPOX though to know if that could cause this, a photo of how it is installed would help though so I can verify everything is right.

Unread 03/09/2017, 10:57 PM   #12
saltywet
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7M_YozW2yk

I am running the skimmer at 8" water line in sump.

I think the power dial is turned up above the 100% mark.

Is it normal to see water drain out from the little outlet by the side of the neck?

Thanks for your help on this.

Unread 03/10/2017, 10:29 AM   #13
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Up all the way is 100% and down all the way is 20%, it cannot go past those. Are you sure the air hose is not kinked at some point? Yes, but if that drain is a gushing flow, then the anti over foam may be active so water is being pulled into the air intake, that causes a lot of noise (gurgling) and will restrict the air flow, this is to prevent a foam over and it is likely that a carbon dosing supplement would activate this feature. Try disconnecting the air hose at the skimmer, if it suddenly foams up vigorously, the noise and lack of bubbles is from the over foaming prevention.

Unread 03/10/2017, 06:20 PM   #14
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

I use nopox with mine no issues, it runs a shade under 50% at the pump. If I go higher it would produce skimmate that was too wet. I too had an awful noise but it is now silent and has performed flawlessly since. I don't know if I have the wrong air intAke but don't feel it needs changing now., I will check my water depth.

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 02:11 PM   #15
saltywet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtravels View Post
I use nopox with mine no issues, it runs a shade under 50% at the pump. If I go higher it would produce skimmate that was too wet. I too had an awful noise but it is now silent and has performed flawlessly since. I don't know if I have the wrong air intAke but don't feel it needs changing now., I will check my water depth.
That would be great!

Thanks

Unread 03/13/2017, 02:12 PM   #16
saltywet
Registered Member

Try disconnecting the air hose at the skimmer, if it suddenly foams up vigorously, the noise and lack of bubbles is from the over foaming prevention.

Roger, I did that this weekend and I did not get the noise and lack of bubbles....

I will try tuning down to 80% power and seeing if I can still get wet skimmate.

Unread 03/19/2017, 07:41 PM   #17
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

mine is in 20cm of water

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote