Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2013, 08:17 AM   #1
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Unusual damsels

Even though this is for my FOWLR, I thought I'd get more replies here. Does anyone have experience with the following:

Chromis nitida "Barrier Reef Chromis"

Chromis retrofasciata "Black Bar Chromis"

Chrysiptera rollandi "Rolland's Damselfish"

Chrysiptera traceyi "Tracey's Damselfish"

Chrysiptera tricincta "Tuxedo Damselfish"

TIA!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2013, 08:41 AM   #2
MIKE NY
Two Decade club

I have both the Black Bar Chromis and the Rolland's. The Black Bar, even though its a Chromis, acts just like the Rolland's and other damsels in which it will defend a small terroritory...they are easy to keep eating most everything offered and are not as aggressive as other damsels such as Dominos, Blue Devils, Humbugs etc...I have had mated pairs of many species of damsels over the years, but they will get more aggressive in defending their nests..so I only keep singles of damsels in my tank now.

Current Tank Info: 170 gal Reef, 20 gal frag/reef,90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump, 2-250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actincs, Vertex in280 skimmer, MRC-2 Cal Reactor, Reeflo return pump
MIKE NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2013, 04:31 PM   #3
jazzman7838
Moved On

I've kept all those but C. nitida. They all like to pick at each other and act like typical Chrysiptera (including C. retrofasciata).

I always thought a sick damsel to get would be Pomacentrus vaiuli. When they're small they're completely awesome looking, as they age they are not quite as intense but certainly not ugly. They look a bit like a poor man's Interupta angel.

Juvenile

Adult

jazzman7838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2013, 09:57 AM   #4
haynesw
Registered Member

I've been looking at the traceyi too. I would be interested in hearing anyone's first hand experience regarding their degree of aggression.

haynesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2013, 10:25 AM   #5
copps
Premium Member

Hey Peter, just yesterday I received the first new fish that went into QT for my new 1300 gallon... all of them were damsels from the genus Chrysiptera. This included four each of the three you mention... from Live Aquaria.

Chrysiptera tricincta is beautiful... the beautiful striping of Dascyllus without the aggression... these are rarely available so I was happy to get all four I ordered.

The Chrysiptera traceyi came in small but are very nice... not the in your face bright blue so common in their family, but a nice purple that contrasts amongst the other species I got... it's also nice to get something exciting I've never seen in person for cheap (although expensive for a damsel).

Chrysiptera rollandi is a perennial favorite... the specimens I got from Vanuatu are the nicest I've seen... with the bright yellow cap on them... and they were on sale. This order of twelve worked out well as it got me over the free shipping...

I also received an order from That Fish Place with a bunch... this order was driven by the very rarely seen Chrysiptera flavipinnis... what a cool little species!

Even in my 1300 I'm sticking only with Chromis and the genus Chrysiptera... these are not nearly as aggressive as other genera in the family...

Let's hear more experiences!

Copps

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2013, 10:27 AM   #6
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Thanks for the replies. I have several already, but some are ridiculously shy. Maybe the fact that the really shy ones are singles?

Chrysiptera starcki x 2 - awesome, always out, zero aggression.

Chrysiptera talboti x 2 - always out, great pink color, only aggressive to each other on occasion.

Pomacentrus alleni x 3?2? Not sure if I still have 3. They are pretty shy, and VERY skittish.

Chrysiptera arnazae x 1 - NEVER see him. Half the time I think he's dead, and then surprise, there 's a glimpse of him.

Chrysiptera hemicyanea x 1 - not as bad as C. arnazae, but keeps extremely close to the rocks, and often hidden

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2013, 01:08 AM   #7
o2manyfish
Registered Member

A local vendor has two tanks with the barrier reef chromis. Each tank has about 24 fish and the tanks are about 60g. They have been sitting there for months. There doesn't seem to be any aggression issues and all the chromis have full fins.

I have kept the Tracey for several years. I had an assortment of damsels before my last crash, and the Traceys didn't stir up an trouble.

I think perhaps 2 of the Tracey have survived my crash from last month. But where they used to be out in front of the rock work they now hide behind the rocks, so I am not sure if there is 1,2 or 3 that survived.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 09:10 PM   #8
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

Just bringing this thread back to life as I picked up a pair of C. arnazae recently. They really are stunning little fish. I was wondering if anyone else has them and if they are all shy, one of mine is the other is not.

What is everyone's feelings on damsels? are they regaining any popularity, they really fit in well in mt sps tank as they provide a natural accent to the corals.

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 09:13 PM   #9
Rilelen
Registered Member

I really enjoy unusual damsels - I think damsels as a whole got tarnished a bit with the super aggressive reputation (and to be sure, some certainly are). I'd love to hear more about what others folks are keeping these days, especially if there's anything off the beaten path.

Would love to see pics of those C. arnazae you picked up!

Office Nano Tank System (29 Gallon + 20 Gallon): Saltwater mollies + fry
Rilelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 09:26 PM   #10
Sk8r
RC Mod

Aggression is often purely a function of tank size. Damsels need space, and most need a hundred gallons plus. Your little fellows are quieter and can live with less room, but most grow to nearly 5" and a maroon clown is a 'better known' example of the habit---they are damsels, and my 4.5" golden domino is a close match in territoriality, ruling 100 gallons of bowfront corner tank, but ok with her roommates, a 2" 3-stripe, a little yellowtail, and 2 Fiji blue devils, who just duck politely when Miss Titanic swims past. Everybody gets along, and I have plenty of rockwork to give them passages and caves to duck into. Damsels are great fish, hardy, resistent to pests, and cheap, but fish stores keep selling them to people with 20 gallon tanks, which is just not going to work for the reefer or the fish.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 04:59 AM   #11
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

C. Arnazae, it has a wound on its abdomen that is healing, i believe it swam into my PH?

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef

Last edited by adtravels; 05/11/2017 at 05:31 AM.
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 07:29 PM   #12
Rilelen
Registered Member

Oh wow, gorgeous pic, thanks! Ouch on the abdominal wound though, hope he keeps healing up nice.

Office Nano Tank System (29 Gallon + 20 Gallon): Saltwater mollies + fry
Rilelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 07:38 PM   #13
Dromon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilelen View Post
I really enjoy unusual damsels - I think damsels as a whole got tarnished a bit with the super aggressive reputation (and to be sure, some certainly are). I'd love to hear more about what others folks are keeping these days, especially if there's anything off the beaten path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adtravels View Post

What is everyone's feelings on damsels? are they regaining any popularity, they really fit in well in mt sps tank as they provide a natural accent to the corals.
Personally I like keeping a single damsel in a desktop nano. Keeping one by himself negates the aggression component entirely. Because they are reef safe you can throw in a couple of frags with a cool invert or two. Because of the hardiness of the fish it can tolerate any tank fluctuations that some nanos might get. In addition to being cheap and hardy like many have pointed out they are also colorful, full of character,heal quickly, do not require special needs and are not famous for being "jumpers". I also find them open to all foods from pellets to flakes to frozen.

Dromon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 09:02 PM   #14
nanoreefer1000
Registered Member

Oddball damsels and chromis are insanely underrated. I personally love the Curaçao Chromis sp. and the Deepwater Canary Damsel.