Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/05/2013, 07:28 PM   #26
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Aqua, Is your DT an SPS dominant setup?

Unread 11/05/2013, 07:57 PM   #27
AquaTDV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Aqua, Is your DT an SPS dominant setup?
Its a mixed reef, but I would say it is SPS and Clam dominated
Here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z97_LEt9wkE

AquaTDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2013, 08:14 PM   #28
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

If you keep pulsing Xenia on a seperate island rock, will it somehow travel to other rocks?

I'm thinking of making a rubble of rocks island. I can just remove some of the pieces to sell later and always add more rock rubble for the Xenia to grow on. But really only if it's reasonably safe the Xenia won't spread to my main rocks.

Last edited by FlyPenFly; 11/05/2013 at 08:30 PM.
FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2013, 09:02 PM   #29
ksed
Registered Member

When i do a water change on my 120. I will put that water in the 30. But no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTDV View Post
Xenia can be quite tricky, especially in small systems. For me they seem to prefer a stable/aged system, particularly when grown in a small setup like your 30. When its time to do another water change in your 120. Empty the waste water into the 30 and see where that gets you. If this gets them going, reduce the time you are running your skimmer.

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2013, 05:39 AM   #30
dryworm
Registered Member

does xenia eat pods? i wouldn't want the xenia to eat all the pods in the refugium.

Unread 11/06/2013, 08:28 AM   #31
_shorty_
Registered Member

I recently read in the breeding forum of someone who uses a xenia refugium to raise cardinal larvae. He said between feedings they are hunting for pods... so I assume he has an acceptable to substantial population in with the xenia. I have no experience with a xenia fuge, though.

_shorty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2013, 10:42 AM   #32
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

My understanding was that Xenia are like clams, just pure filter feeders who may or may not take up some plankton sized life, not copepods .

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2013, 09:38 PM   #33
AquaTDV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
If you keep pulsing Xenia on a seperate island rock, will it somehow travel to other rocks?

I'm thinking of making a rubble of rocks island. I can just remove some of the pieces to sell later and always add more rock rubble for the Xenia to grow on. But really only if it's reasonably safe the Xenia won't spread to my main rocks.
It will spread, and if this is your DT all it will take is one floater created by a hermit crab, tang, or anything else that could dislodge the smallest of frags to get pureed in your powerhead and it will be everywhere.

These are pics from '02 of 35mm pics. It shows one of my attempts at keeping the Xenia in the DT for filtration/propagation. One positive thing is that you are looking at approx. $3000 in Xenia, which I used to purchase my current system in '04.

BEFORE- When I tried to limit its growth to the side of the tank for easy propagation.

AFTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
When i do a water change on my 120. I will put that water in the 30. But no success.
Which type of Xenia are you trying to keep?

Last edited by AquaTDV; 11/06/2013 at 09:48 PM.
Unread 11/07/2013, 03:46 PM   #34
ksed
Registered Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...03&pcatid=2803

Unread 11/07/2013, 10:03 PM   #35
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Since Xenia can be tricky sometimes could this also be done with another fast growing coral like GSP? Very curious as I'm setting up a 75 gal refugium now. IMO GSP is a bit easier than Xenia to grow fast and no need to shut down skimmer.

rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2013, 06:50 AM   #36
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Here is a video
Great tank and there's plenty of nice SPS in there. I asked because I was curious if the water chemistry would be correct with both softies and SPS in the same system. You are managing both well!

Unread 11/08/2013, 06:59 PM   #37
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgonzo View Post
Since Xenia can be tricky sometimes could this also be done with another fast growing coral like GSP? Very curious as I'm setting up a 75 gal refugium now. IMO GSP is a bit easier than Xenia to grow fast and no need to shut down skimmer.

Anyone?

Unread 11/08/2013, 07:10 PM   #38
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Anyone?
Following along and curioius to the answer of your question.

Quote:
Here is a video
Your joy in your tank is obvious and inspiring!

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2013, 02:18 PM   #39
AquaTDV
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure GSP will work if you are looking for a coral to make some money with. However I am not sure how well it will work as a potential filter. Its hard to quantify the value of Xenia as a filter, but I do know what the literature says, and it seems to support the hypothesis. I had a 60 corner full of metallic green GSP. It was a BB so the GSP covered the entire bottom of the tank as well as the sides. This made it very easy to frag and attach to rocks for the LFS to sell.

Unread 11/09/2013, 02:22 PM   #40
AquaTDV
Registered Member

That's the same type I grow. Do you have multiple bulbs to try a different/more intense light configuration? Sometimes Xenia can be very tricky. In some tanks it will take off and other it will just die. Like what is happening to you. If it just looks lethargic, and not melting away. This is probably a lighting issue.

Unread 11/09/2013, 02:25 PM   #41
AquaTDV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavoisier View Post
Your joy in your tank is obvious and inspiring!
Thank you!

Unread 11/09/2013, 03:09 PM   #42
ksed
Registered Member

i will try different lighting

Unread 11/09/2013, 08:12 PM   #43
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure GSP will work if you are looking for a coral to make some money with. However I am not sure how well it will work as a potential filter. Its hard to quantify the value of Xenia as a filter, but I do know what the literature says, and it seems to support the hypothesis. I had a 60 corner full of metallic green GSP. It was a BB so the GSP covered the entire bottom of the tank as well as the sides. This made it very easy to frag and attach to rocks for the LFS to sell.
Thanks for the response Aqua, I would be more interested in GSP as a filter not $ maker. If anyone has info on this please pass it along.

Unread 11/10/2013, 11:45 AM   #44
Flatlander
Premium Member

Great video,s. Thanks for sharing.

Current Tank Info: 50g sumpless sps tank..Evergrow 2081 led..Apex control..Tunze 9012 skimmer..Tunze calcium reactor..Tunze kalk reactor..2 rw8,s..1 MP40..1 Hydor Korillia 1200gph..Tunze ATO..all propagated sps frags
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2013, 12:41 PM   #45
badguitarist
Registered Member

rfgonzo, here is my take on the difference between Xenia and GSP. I culture both in a 400 gallon tub under natural sunlight. The GSP grows quick and can cover frag mounts relatively quickly its rate of growth definitely takes some nutrients out of the water. The Xenia I have in a 55 gallon drum plumbed to the same tub grows like a weed in fact it is too much work for me to sell it all. I sell all I can and end up just throwing the rest away. I don't even have to frag it I just throw rubble in and take it out a couple weeks later and its covered in xenia. The major difference is the biomass of the quickly growing Xenia is much more than the biomass of GSP and I think that's where Xenia works so well it needs more nutrients to create the larger biomass therefore taking more waste out of the water

badguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2013, 01:49 PM   #46
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguitarist View Post
rfgonzo, here is my take on the difference between Xenia and GSP. I culture both in a 400 gallon tub under natural sunlight. The GSP grows quick and can cover frag mounts relatively quickly its rate of growth definitely takes some nutrients out of the water. The Xenia I have in a 55 gallon drum plumbed to the same tub grows like a weed in fact it is too much work for me to sell it all. I sell all I can and end up just throwing the rest away. I don't even have to frag it I just throw rubble in and take it out a couple weeks later and its covered in xenia. The major difference is the biomass of the quickly growing Xenia is much more than the biomass of GSP and I think that's where Xenia works so well it needs more nutrients to create the larger biomass therefore taking more waste out of the water
Thank You,

Unread 11/11/2013, 08:39 AM   #47
guserto4
Registered Member

Can anyone who has had great success growing Xenia like a weed speak to water parameters and lighting? I'm becoming more and more interested in incorporating this into the filtering system of my new tank.

Current Tank Info: Under construction: 123g 80x24x16 display & 35g 24x24x16 frag
guserto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2013, 09:29 AM   #48
knight2255
Registered Member

I took down my ATS a couple months ago when I redid my return plumbing.

I wonder if I can use the old diy led arrays off my ATS to light up a xenia fuge? The leds would be 10:2:2 red/blue/uv over a 20g fuge......would that spectrum be totally out of wack?

knight2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2013, 09:02 PM   #49
amlights
Registered Member.

Wow, this is a super interesting topic. I love the idea. Going to have to try to implement it. Awesome!

amlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2013, 07:55 PM   #50
jrsp12
Premium Member

Aqua you mentioned to cycle the skimmer to get the greatest growth from the Xenia. Can you explain the reasoning behind this? It seems not running the skimmer would be more beneficial since you would not be pulling nutrients away from the Xenia.

jrsp12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ats, filtration, refugium, xenia