Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2017, 06:54 AM   #1
oldhead
Registered Member

Oldheads tank upgrade

So here is the stand being built. I used 3/4” birch plywood and clean pine for the trim.

Here it is with paint. Left the front trim off so I can get the tank on.

Braced the floor. I have open web truss construction, 16” deep trusses. I plywooded and screwed the side every three inches. The way the tank sits, one truss runs under the center of the stand. I also braced the plywood floor between truses to eliminate some flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 07:05 AM   #2
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post

So here is the stand being built. I used 3/4” birch plywood and clean pine for the trim.

Here it is with paint. Left the front trim off so I can get the tank on.

Braced the floor. I have open web truss construction, 16” deep trusses. I plywooded and screwed the side every three inches. The way the tank sits, one truss runs under the center of the stand. I also braced the plywood floor between truses to eliminate some flex.

40 pounds of pukani cooking. I decided not to acid or bleach, so I set in some rodi water for two days. Had an old pond pump in there that was running hot and got the water up to 90 degrees. My son text me and said I think one of your homemade cheeses went bad when it started to stink. After two days I changed the water and added salt. Tested a few days later with a salifert kit and it read 0.5 phosphate. Let it go two more days and same reading. Dosed 5 mil of lanthanum chloride and tested this morning. Down to 0.1

My new rodi tub. I grabbed a humidifier float for a shutoff.

Here is the tank in place and the plumbing done. The wife didn’t want me to drill it so I have an auto top off relay with two floats to turn the pump and skimmer off so they don’t run dry incase the overflow stops.

Unread 12/03/2017, 07:12 AM   #3
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:

40 pounds of pukani cooking. I decided not to acid or bleach, so I set in some rodi water for two days. Had an old pond pump in there that was running hot and got the water up to 90 degrees. My son text me and said I think one of your homemade cheeses went bad when it started to stink. After two days I changed the water and added salt. Tested a few days later with a salifert kit and it read 0.5 phosphate. Let it go two more days and same reading. Dosed 5 mil of lanthanum chloride and tested this morning. Down to 0.1

My new rodi tub. I grabbed a humidifier float for a shutoff.

Here is the tank in place and the plumbing done. The wife didn’t want me to drill it so I have an auto top off relay with two floats to turn the pump and skimmer off so they don’t run dry incase the overflow stops.

Here is the the sump I made. It’s a 29 gallon tank. It’s a bit tall but I can get everything out without removing it. The center brace is removable on the stand. I went with 1 1/4” unions and valve with bushings to keep the id the same as the 1” pipe. The skimmer section was initially made for a bubble curve skimmer which had an 11” max water depth. I decided to go with a reef octopus. The center chamber is for my extra rock and cheato. Not sure if you can see the cheap work light clamped to the tank. I guess now it’s time to start making lots of water

Unread 12/03/2017, 07:15 AM   #4
oldhead
Registered Member

I forgot on the first post to add info about the tank. I know deep tanks aren't the best but I just couldn't pass up a 110 gallon for $100 on craigslist. This will be an upgrade from a 36 gallon bow front.

Unread 12/03/2017, 09:23 AM   #5
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:

Here is the the sump I made. It’s a 29 gallon tank. It’s a bit tall but I can get everything out without removing it. The center brace is removable on the stand. I went with 1 1/4” unions and valve with bushings to keep the id the same as the 1” pipe. The skimmer section was initially made for a bubble curve skimmer which had an 11” max water depth. I decided to go with a reef octopus. The center chamber is for my extra rock and cheato. Not sure if you can see the cheap work light clamped to the tank. I guess now it’s time to start making lots of water

Taking this opportunity to break in the skimmer

Unread 12/03/2017, 10:48 PM   #6
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Nicely done

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 01:31 PM   #7
oldhead
Registered Member

Water and dry rock in. Put one piece of live rock from my DT and two scoops of sand. Water is finally clearing up after adding sand yesterday

Unread 12/10/2017, 01:33 PM   #8
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:

Water and dry rock in. Put one piece of live rock from my DT and two scoops of sand. Water is finally clearing up after adding sand yesterday

One of the two safety floats incase the overflow or the pump stops. The aquaclear is only running to help clear the sand cloud.

Unread 12/23/2017, 10:00 AM   #9
oldhead
Registered Member

Got my dual reactor set up today. I was going to use a separate pump but decided to use the return line since my pump is a little strong.

One of my two clowns (this one is the male) waiting for the nitrites to drop in his new home.

Unread 12/23/2017, 06:03 PM   #10
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Looks like it’s coming a long good & as plan

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 04:14 AM   #11
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNBUG361 View Post
Looks like it’s coming a long good & as plan
Yeah everything is going good. Just waiting for the tank to cycle. I thought it would be a bit quicker then it has due to using some of my existing rock and sand. The nitrites are still high but the baby snails that were on my rock from my smaller display don't seem to mind. I have 4 or 5 cruising around on the glass.

Unread 01/02/2018, 02:11 PM   #12
oldhead
Registered Member

Got the livestock moved over this weekend. Don’t mind the light, I have led’s coming this week. My tadstool is not happy. He was connected to a couple rocks and a piece got torn off, so I guess I’ll have two now.

Unread 01/13/2018, 09:43 AM   #13
oldhead
Registered Member

Had some space behind the tank so I made an ato container out of 4” pvc. It only holds about 1 3/4 gallons. I didn’t want an ato with a pump. Maybe someday I’ll change my mind. I just keep 2 vinegar bottles full of rodi in the stand and when I feed the fish I fill the ato.

Unread 01/27/2018, 02:17 PM   #14
KRUCIANKING
Registered Member

Was the flooring bracing truly needed on that size tank?

KRUCIANKING is offline   Reply With Quote