Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2018, 07:07 PM   #1
930Reef
Registered Member

Are purple anemones dyed to purple them up?

My local LFS told me that the vibrant purple nems are, more often than not, injected...even from reputable sellers. He says this results in an anemone that never is totally healthy. I trust the LFS on most everything, but am wondering what say you, and what evidence do you have one way or the other (experience or otherwise). They say that purple doesn't exist in nature.

930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 07:14 PM   #2
~RuSh~
Registered Member

I had a purple LTA back in the day. Mind you when it really inflated it was more brownish in color but when it was normal size, the tentacles were a pretty purple color. I never thought mine was injected and the color never faded.

Unread 04/22/2018, 07:29 PM   #3
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RuSh~ View Post
I had a purple LTA back in the day. Mind you when it really inflated it was more brownish in color but when it was normal size, the tentacles were a pretty purple color. I never thought mine was injected and the color never faded.
Interesting...So my "green" LTA was a very natural looking green/brown unless it shrunk up. When it did shrink, electric green almost. Sounds like the pics online of extreme purple are taken when the nem isn't totally inflated...which makes sense, and is fine, IMO. Purple/brown is beautiful too, and I'm sure ppl have unrealistic expectations for what nature makes (ask any plastic surgeon)

Unread 04/23/2018, 06:30 AM   #4
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

I would agree with the other posts. I have kept both a green LTA and Rose BTA for several years now. Both are very colorful and represent their colors very well. If they were dyed I would assume they would have lost there vibrant colors years ago. In fact the more I feed them the richer their colors get. As the other stated their color intensity depends on how inflated they are or the lighting they are under. I also agree with the brown/purple color. I have a bunch of Yuma mushrooms that to me look brown but I have had guest at my home look at them and ask what are those purple things. I also have some very pink colored Yuma's. These have been very difficult to keep happy but they have never lost their color but maybe intensity.

I have never kept a S. Haddoni's. But they have some very spectacular colors. I have kept s. tapetum's and they have some beautiful colors. I have a very magenta colored one with a green rim. I have had it for several years, Beautiful creature. I had a couple blue ones that were beautiful as well but during a tank move I lost those.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps

Last edited by Dean Ladd; 04/23/2018 at 06:40 AM.
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:58 AM   #5
D-Nak
Registered Member

I'd have to disagree with the LFS, as I rarely see dyed nems these days. I'm guessing that your LFS has probably been around a long time, because about 20 years ago, many of the nems that were imported were indeed dyed.

Rose BTAs started to be imported en masse about the same time I started to see a decline in dyed nems. I think the rise in popularity of RBTAs made it harder to justify dying other species. Just my opinion.

If I see dyed nems, they are usually sebae anemones (usually malu) dyed bright yellow. There's no need to dye nems purple these days -- haddoni, gigantea, and occasionally malu and LTAS all have bright purple color morphs.

Last edited by D-Nak; 04/23/2018 at 11:45 AM.
D-Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 10:53 AM   #6
griss
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
I'd have to disagree with the LFS, as I rarely see dyed nems these days. I'm guessing that your LFS has probably been around a long time, because about 20 years ago, many of the nems that were imported were indeed dyed.

Fortunately, I rarely see dyed nems these days. Rose BTAs started to be imported en masse about the same time I started to see a decline in dyed nems. I think the rise in popularity of RBTAs made it harder to justify dying other species. Just my opinion.

If I see dyed nems, they are usually sebae anemones (usually malu) dyed bright yellow. There's no need to dye nems purple these days -- haddoni, gigantea, and occasionally malu and LTAS all have bright purple color morphs.
Agreed. Back when I transitioned from Fish Only to reef tanks (1990), and before I knew better, I purchased a bright yellow and a bright pink Sebae. Of course neither lasted very long.

That said, it's been a very, very long time since I've seen a dyed anemone in the hobby.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder
griss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 11:23 AM   #7
930Reef
Registered Member

All good news. Thanks everyone.

Unread 04/24/2018, 07:33 PM   #8
davocean
Registered Member

I have had and seen purple LTA's, like described usually beige w/ purple highlights, but sometimes pretty purple.

While I don't doubt some may still have some kind of color goofiness, yellow is actually a natural color for Malu, and purple as well, and malu seem to retain pretty bright colors that could be mis ID'd as dyed.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote