Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/24/2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Gravity feed refugium from main tank, or pump feed from sump?

Which do you think is better? You save energy by doing a gravity feed from the display tank, but I'd imagine you'd get a large build up of detritus over time. I'm considering T-ing off the return pump in the hopes of reducing detritus build up in the fuge. I'd get a Super Dart if I decide to go this route. Regular Dart if I gravity feed. Difference of about 10-20 watts.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

My refugia are gravity fed from the display tanks, then they gravity feed into the sump.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 01:35 PM   #3
nikkipigtails
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
My refugia are gravity fed from the display tanks, then they gravity feed into the sump.
That's kind of how mine is. I have 2 drains from my DT. One drains into a section of my sump that I made into a fuge. Then water spills over into the return section. (The skimmer section is on the other side of the return section.)

Current Tank Info: 180 reef + 35 clown/RBTA plumbed together into a 75 gallon sump
nikkipigtails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

That's how my 135 and QT are set up. I've noticed on my recently set up QT that a ton of detritus builds up in the fuge. The only reason I notice is because the fuge is bare bottom. I wonder if having a DSB in the fuge would help reduce detritus. Would the little critters that live in the sand eat the detritus?

Unread 10/24/2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

There is lots of detritus in my refugia, on top of sand and in bare bottom sections, but I expect that would be true regardless of the plumbing. It is a low flow area that allows settling.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 01:59 PM   #6
greggnyce
Registered Member

I have mine t'd off of my return and it gravity feeds right into the return section. I like this set up because the pods will go through the tank before hitting the skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 120 gl oceanic tech, 30 gallon fuge, 40 gallon sump, Itech 200 skimmer, LED Lighting . Mixed reef.
greggnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

I'll be running a sock in the sump, so most of the detritus coming from the display tank will be trapped there, as opposed to settling in the fuge. At least this is the theory.

Unread 10/24/2008, 01:59 PM   #8
nikkipigtails
Registered Member

I have a DBS with nassarius snails and a cucumber that keep the sand clean

Current Tank Info: 180 reef + 35 clown/RBTA plumbed together into a 75 gallon sump
nikkipigtails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 02:22 PM   #9
ScooterBlenny
Registered Member

I have an over-the-tank refugium, and I enjoy it. I had an existing reef tank that wasn't reef-ready when I decided I wanted a fuge, and I didn't want to deal with an overflow box. My husband built a beautiful shelf to go over my display and hold the fuge, and it's working out great.

ScooterBlenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 03:43 PM   #10
uhuru
Registered Member

I plan to gravity feed my fuge, keep it BB, no rocks, just chaeto. This way the detritus can settle there and easily be cleaned out.

Unread 10/24/2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uhuru
I plan to gravity feed my fuge, keep it BB, no rocks, just chaeto. This way the detritus can settle there and easily be cleaned out.
Yea but what a pain! My fuge will be at ground level. Can't syphon it out. I'd have to set up a pump on a tube to pump it out.

Unread 10/24/2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Cove Beach
Registered Member

I pump water up to my frag tank which gravity feeds to the refugium, which then gravity feeds into the sump. The fuge contains a DSB with a small amout of LR and a huge mass of chaeto. It also has a 4" chiton, several nassarius snails and some cerith plus 5 peppermint shrimp.

Current Tank Info: 245 Star Fire display,Basement Sump system
Cove Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 05:38 PM   #13
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

i think the macro will grow faster if it is gravity fed, before the reactors and skimmers pull all the "bad" stuff out of the water. good luck

PaulieWalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 05:53 PM   #14
uhuru
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thechad21
Yea but what a pain! My fuge will be at ground level. Can't syphon it out. I'd have to set up a pump on a tube to pump it out.
yeah you can use a powerhead or better yet get an eheim sludge extractor (what I use). With the eheim you don't even have to change the water it's like a vacuum with a micron bag that catches the detritus but lets the water back through. You can literally do this daily in less than a minute. When I had my BB tank I did this twice a day.

uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 05:57 PM   #15
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

i may have to get one of those

Unread 10/24/2008, 07:40 PM   #16
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uhuru
yeah you can use a powerhead or better yet get an eheim sludge extractor (what I use). With the eheim you don't even have to change the water it's like a vacuum with a micron bag that catches the detritus but lets the water back through. You can literally do this daily in less than a minute. When I had my BB tank I did this twice a day.
Dude that sounds awesome! I want one!

Unread 10/24/2008, 07:43 PM   #17
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

It's a dust buster for your fish tank lol.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...extractor.html

Unread 10/24/2008, 08:24 PM   #18
fishinbuc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScooterBlenny
I have an over-the-tank refugium, and I enjoy it. I had an existing reef tank that wasn't reef-ready when I decided I wanted a fuge, and I didn't want to deal with an overflow box. My husband built a beautiful shelf to go over my display and hold the fuge, and it's working out great.
I'm in the planning stage of re-doing my sump/fuge. This is how I'm thinking of doing mine.

"Coach, how do you feel about your teams execution today?"-Reporter, Tampa Tribune

"I'm all for it!" Coach John McCay, Buccaneers

Current Tank Info: 37 gal. Oceanic, 20L sump- 175w 14k Hammy- Zoo's, Paly's, Ric's, Shroom's, and Xenia that I'm finally getting under control.
fishinbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 09:40 PM   #19
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

I prefer to feed the fuge from a tee off the return to the tank, otherwise the fuge tends to be a bit of a settling chamber for crap from the main tank that would otherwise be filtered out.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 10:03 PM   #20
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

Lobster poses a sentiment that I am see with greater frequency on RC that values feeding the fuge from the return. I'm not convinced this is necessary, but people will use this method to suit their own individual needs.

I'm personally going to gravity feed my fuge from the main with a y to the skimmer compartment and a ball valve to the fuge. The Fuge will then Gravity feed to two points in the sump...half to the skimmer chamber and half to the fuge.

8 Foot Envisions
InsaneClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2008, 10:48 PM   #21
sjm817
On Yer left!

I'm in the feed from return camp.

Unread 10/24/2008, 11:05 PM   #22
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

how well does your macro grow that way...i just thought that if it ran through carbon and rowaphos, and the skimmer that it would not feed the macro enough to grow?? does that make sense?

Unread 10/24/2008, 11:10 PM   #23
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LobsterOfJustice
I prefer to feed the fuge from a tee off the return to the tank, otherwise the fuge tends to be a bit of a settling chamber for crap from the main tank that would otherwise be filtered out.
This is what I'm talking about.

Unread 10/24/2008, 11:16 PM   #24
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulieWalnuts
how well does your macro grow that way...i just thought that if it ran through carbon and rowaphos, and the skimmer that it would not feed the macro enough to grow?? does that make sense?
I'm pretty sure skimmers and reactors are not 100% efficient. The water in the sump isn't ultra clean. I'd imagine the water in the sump still matches the tank water pretty closely, only slightly cleaner. So in theory the macro should still be able to do it's job.

Unread 10/24/2008, 11:25 PM   #25
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

I just re-read my post and couldn't edit it. I just wanted to clarify that my fuge will gravity drain half into the skimmer chamber and half into the RETURN chamber. I misspoke when I stated it would return to the fuge...makes not sense.

8 Foot Envisions
InsaneClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote