Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/26/2016, 11:54 AM   #1
chiefifd
Registered Member

6095 stopping

Hi, i have two 6095 Tunze pumps. Both have been running for about 2 years. I try to clean the pumps every few months in a 50% diluted vinegar & water solution for a few minutes. A few months ago I cleaned the pumps, put them back in and one of the pumps failed to start. I took it apart again and put it together again and it worked. I've turned off the pumps a few times since then and the same pump stops, I've needed to take it out and wipe off the impeller "nothing on the impeller" put it back together and it ran.
Today, I cleaned my tank, turned off the pumps, the one Tunze 6095 pump failed to start. I took it apart, cleaned it, again not really dirty. Put it back together and did't start at first, then it started, when it did it sounded like a motorboat. I took it apart, reseated the impeller, checked for debris and tried it again. The pump came on, but with the same motorboat sound. I've unplugged it. Hoping you have a suggestion.
Thanks
Ed

chiefifd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2016, 01:23 PM   #2
chiefifd
Registered Member

I running the 6095 Tunze pumps thru a Tunze 7095 controller.

Unread 08/27/2016, 05:15 PM   #3
chiefifd
Registered Member

After looking at the pumps, their Tunze's 6105's. They've been great pumps until recently. I hope the issue is minor and don't need to replace the pump.

Unread 08/29/2016, 08:48 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Is it possible the disk 3005.740 is missing or upside down or stuck to the base of the propeller? This is a black plastic disk inside a blue rubber cup, the plastic faces the bottom of the propeller magnet and it sits at the base of the shaft that remains in the pump. I am sure whatever the issue is it is repairable for far less than the cost of a new pump and they do have a 2 year warranty. Another thing to confirm is that the metal shaft is clean, the most common build up area that can stall a pump is the hole in the middle of the magnet and the metal shaft, calcium here will cause them to seize.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 07:01 PM   #5
chiefifd
Registered Member

I looked at the shaft, no build up at all on it. The impeller magnet is clean, no calcium build up at all (sides or bottom). I can see the blue ring and looks like the black disc is sitting inside of the blue disc. I've never noticed anything drop out of either pump when I had the apart for cleaning. The hole of the magnet is clear and moved easily on the shaft.
It still has the motor boat sound when plugged in and won't immediately start who the pump is plugged in.
As luck would have it, I bought the pump in May of 2016.

I checked second 6105 pump, that pump had quiet a lot of calcium built up, (hard to remove the impeller assembly). I cleaned the unit with a vinegar solution, put it back to gather and it worked great.

Unread 08/30/2016, 08:58 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Do you mean May of 2014? I might try borrowing the power supply and drive unit from the working one. I would also do the test with no controller attached. It sounds like the motor still has life given the noise and movement you describe so I am thinking the propeller assembly is damaged in some way (possibly a crack in the magnet) or the power supply has gotten weak.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 08/30/2016, 06:36 PM   #7
chiefifd
Registered Member

Thank you, yes, the pump was bought in 2014. I'll try to exchange parts with the working pump to see if I can isolate the problem.

Unread 08/31/2016, 09:46 PM   #8
chiefifd
Registered Member

I've tested all the combinations, switching parts between the two 6105 pumps. Its pointing to a bad motor block, very disappointing after only 30 months of service.

I'm hoping I just got a rouge motor block, I'll order a new motor block for now and see if that fixes my issue.

Lastly:.....
Is the new Tunze pump 6150 nearing release here in the U.S.A. I'd be interested buying one and seeing how the new Tunze pumps hold up.

Thanks
Ed

Unread 09/01/2016, 08:40 AM   #9
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Call or email me directly, I would also be happy to take a look at it, a loose or wobbly shaft could be a cause as well-

512-833-7546 or Tunze at sbcglobal dot net

The 6150's should be out in late October, it has a 5 year warranty, since it lacks sensors and it lacks thin film capacitors, it should last a very, very long time.

Unread 09/01/2016, 10:11 AM   #10
chiefifd
Registered Member

Thanks Roger for all your help resolving my problem. Your customer service is outstanding. I'll definitely continue to purchase Tunze products in the future.
I'm looking forward to buying the 6150 later this year!
Take Care
Ed

Unread 09/01/2016, 10:50 AM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!