Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2018, 09:49 AM   #1
ddckec6972
Registered Member

hob uses/mods to aid filtration? whats your suggestion for use

i got a sweat deal on a 100 gph HOB Filter.

1. I use a canister filter and a hob filter on all my fresh water tanks.

2. I am am wondering how i could use this HOB Filter in my reef tank. i have a 30 gallon sump right now, so this HOB wont be my main source of filtration.

3.I was thinking about packing it with filter floss or carbon only.

I would like to know how you would use it or mod it to aid in salt water filtration.

ddckec6972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 10:20 AM   #2
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddckec6972 View Post
i got a sweat deal on a 100 gph HOB Filter...
I would like to know how you would use it or mod it to aid in salt water filtration.
Personally I wouldn't. I might keep it around if I needed to run some extra carbon or other absorption media and didn't have a pressure style "reactor".

I find them to be noisy, and create a lot of nuisance salt creep.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 12:23 PM   #3
lingwendil
Man who sold the world

Location: Oakley, behind enemy lines in communist occupied California.
I love aquaclear HOB filters for freshwater and have used them for saltwater in the past as media bins and they work well, but you will constantly be wiping them down due to issues with salt creep. I would use a small canister filter or media reactor instead, unless it was for a small nano somewhere you can't fit extra equipment easily (like a kitchen or bathroom counter) or if its all you have.

Unread 02/03/2018, 12:26 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

sell it..

Unread 02/03/2018, 06:28 PM   #5
ddckec6972
Registered Member

hahaha.
i believe i am going to fill it with carbon and fliter floss, use it as a reactor, if you will

Unread 02/04/2018, 07:48 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

carbon.. ok
I would not put filter floss in it as all you are doing with that is catching poop and letting it rot there..
unless you plan on changing that floss every 2 days or so which is a maintenance nightmare IMO..

Unread 02/05/2018, 08:55 AM   #7
ddckec6972
Registered Member

yeah, im now leaning toward turning it into a algae scrubber. replace the floss that you see with a screen

Unread 02/05/2018, 10:20 AM   #8
laverda
Registered Member

Why do you have a sump if your not using it for filtration? Instead you want to use a filter designed for freshwater? Yes it is better then no filtration. The only thing I would use it for is on a temp QT tank.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 12:55 PM   #9
ddckec6972
Registered Member

you can not go wrong with over killing filtration, OMG..... NO...... i dont want to use a filter designed for fresh water as a prime source of filtration, I want to incorporate it into my sump.

Unread 02/06/2018, 03:34 PM   #10
PeteStarks
Registered Member

I would be careful adding extra points of failure like a hang on back filter. You would probably get more milage by focusing on your sump for proper filtration as other folks have said. I'm not saying there is 0 merit to adding it to your tank, but the risk/reward and extra work probably isn't worth it.

PeteStarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 04:47 AM   #11
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddckec6972 View Post
you can not go wrong with over killing filtration, OMG..... NO...... i dont want to use a filter designed for fresh water as a prime source of filtration, I want to incorporate it into my sump.
I asked because your first post you said.
Quote:
i have a 30 gallon sump right now, so this HOB wont be my main source of filtration.
You can easily easily incorporate a ATS into the weir of your sump. I think you will find it will do more then what you can really do with a HOB filter.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 08:48 AM   #12
ddckec6972
Registered Member

well I have taken notice most every time i go to my local pet stores (not chain stores) and almost all of them have HOB''s in their salt tanks, i even asked one day as to why? and they explained it as to much filtration is not a bad thing (I was uneducated at that time) sooooo I think now that i have built a sump and understand its purpose, i am going to go back to the stores and get a better understanding of why they have a HOB on each of their tanks, Because they have a massive SUMP set up. HELL if you watch closely enough in most you tube videos people have the HOB with a sump. i would like to hear from someone that is doing this very thing.

Unread 02/07/2018, 09:30 AM   #13
jacksonpt
Registered Member

I put mine on my fresh saltwater holding tank to, as needed, filter out the residue/whatever it is that is left behind in the tank. That's about the only use I could think of where the good outweighed the bad.

I guess you could use it to run media, but only if you don't have any other better way to run media in your sump. And that seems like a big if.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 09:30 AM   #14
nereefpat
Registered Member

If you have a sump, I can't think of a reason to use a HOB filter. It just clutters up the display.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 03:01 PM   #15
lingwendil
Man who sold the world

Location: Oakley, behind enemy lines in communist occupied California.
Save the HOB for a quarantine tank setup.