Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2018, 10:01 AM   #1
Ocicat
Premium Member

Struggling to decide on new tank size

So... I am not a newbie, but I am pretty rusty so I feel like one in many ways. And, this is a pretty newbie type of question.

I have previously had a 180 and a ~66 (Red Sea Max 250). (NB: My memories of my 66 are somewhat cloudy because I was pregnant & had a new baby for the majority of the time I had it.... )

I don't want a setup as involved as my 180 was (had custom cabinets built, plumbed a basement sump, etc). It was sweet, but I do not have the energy or time to plan (or implement) another project like that - planning that one took me close to a year.

I know bigger is better. Except, bigger means more space for making water, more effort for water changes, etc, etc.

I'm seriously considering another all-in-one solution like the Clear for Life uniquariums.

Enough rambling. My goals are:
- Fish are the stars; corals are a nice backdrop (softies only); other inverts are fun.
--- I know I want a tank-bred clown pair, a flame angel, and a coral beauty
- Ease of maintenance
- Big enough but not so big that maintenance is a major chore. No longer than 48" due to the optimal locations available in my house. No taller than 24" because I lack chimpanzee arms.
- Needs to look clean, inside and out (leaning toward acrylic despite the scratching issue), as it will be in a very prominent location

So out of all of this, if anyone is still with me, I do have fairly specific questions:

1) How much space do I need to house a Flame Angel and Coral Beauty together? I had one of each in my 180, and they were awesome... probably my favorites.

2) Anyone have advice on the Clear for Life Uniquariums? My biggest concern is access to the rear compartments for maintenance - that seems much harder than a separate sump... I'm imagining having to be on a ladder leaning over to get to the central rear compartment especially. Also there wouldn't be anywhere for an ATO. I'm thinking that if I do decide to go AIO, I would be better off finding one with a separate sump, as much as the clean look of the Uniquariums appeal to me (less visible plumbing, etc).

3) I'd love any other advice regarding both tank size and ways to simplify maintenance.

On a final note, I have considered going FW in the interest of simplicity. But I'm not sure I can turn away from the color and the fascinating inverts SW offers.

Current Tank Info: Entirely hypothetical
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 10:35 AM   #2
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I would take a look as SC Aquariums. They are very sleek and much more affordable than many others out there. They have packages that come with everything included stand, sump, plumbing, and skimmer. You would just need the lights and ATO.

I am hoping to get one myself soon!

Unread 08/17/2018, 10:44 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

FWIW... I really like my 80G rimless from Deep Blue.. 48"W x 24" front to back are great dimensions IMO.. Only 16" tall
40b sump.. Custom bean overflow,etc...

Unread 08/17/2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Ocicat
Premium Member

Thank you both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
I would take a look as SC Aquariums. They are very sleek and much more affordable than many others out there. They have packages that come with everything included stand, sump, plumbing, and skimmer. You would just need the lights and ATO.

I am hoping to get one myself soon!
These do look nice, although they appear to only offer glass. I'm still on the fence but leaning toward acrylic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
FWIW... I really like my 80G rimless from Deep Blue.. 48"W x 24" front to back are great dimensions IMO.. Only 16" tall
40b sump.. Custom bean overflow,etc...
I love the look of rimless but worry about jumpers. I also have 3 cats (all the hair is as much of a concern as the possibility of their jumping up on the tank). Do you have any top? I have seen the custom clear/mesh tops that can be ordered; I would have to investigate those if I decided to go rimless.

Unread 08/17/2018, 11:34 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I do have a top..
And had a jumper before I got the top..
And have 2 cats..
Originally had a plastic mesh/net one but have since moved to 8mm twinwall polycarbonate sheet 2'x4'
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/...-polycarbonate
Less than $20 shipped from Amazon and works great... plenty strong/doesnt sag at all..

Unread 08/17/2018, 11:47 AM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

I like the proportions of a standard 120, 48" x 24" x 24", they just look visually balanced to me. I would go with at least a 48" wide 120 gallon tank if you are going to try both angels, as they mature you are likely to see aggression issues in anything smaller. I had to remove a single Flame Angel from my 120 gallon tank after a couple of years due to aggression, so with two dwarf angels that would certainly be my tank size minimum.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 12:09 PM   #7
Cliving1
Registered Member

Agree with the reccomendations above. Would add waterbox to the list for all in one setup. I had the deep blue 80 as well, great tank.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 01:11 PM   #8
Ocicat
Premium Member

This is all very helpful!

thegrun, I have been leaning toward a 120. I've been wondering if I could get away with something a bit smaller than that... but the dimensions would work well in my space.

Cliving1, I like the look of Waterbox, especially the modern look of the stands. They don't seem to offer a traditional 120; the closest is this one, which is 2" shorter - I can't imagine a couple of inches of height would make a difference to the fish. https://www.marinedepot.com/Platinum...FIAQML-vi.html I also like that it includes the pieces I want it to include without including the stuff I'd rather choose myself, like skimmer and lights. It does mean I'd have to accept glass over acrylic.

Unread 08/18/2018, 11:49 AM   #9
Julius Chen
Registered Member

How well does the twin wall sheet allow light to go through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I do have a top..
And had a jumper before I got the top..
And have 2 cats..
Originally had a plastic mesh/net one but have since moved to 8mm twinwall polycarbonate sheet 2'x4'
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/...-polycarbonate
Less than $20 shipped from Amazon and works great... plenty strong/doesnt sag at all..

Julius Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 01:12 PM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Chen View Post
How well does the twin wall sheet allow light to go through?
80% light/par transmission for the 8mm thickness.
I barely noticed a difference visually.. Those with LED or dimmable T5 can simply increase the power slightly to account for the difference..