Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2018, 08:59 AM   #1
RussC
Registered Member

How do I frag A purple Kenya?

I've got a purple Kenya tree that has never been happy! This is more moody than most women. I've moved it all over the tank. No luck. Which got me thinking, maybe this might be a good specimen to try my fragging skills. That way I can move the frags to several different locations in the tank at once and see if any response differently. Anything would look better than what its doing now. So what do I do? Never fragged a coral before? I know when I cut it, the coral will produce a slime. Hate using glue but do prefer it when it works. What about a rubber band? Suggestions?

This Kenya has a brown film on the stalk. It comes and goes. I've even scrubbed it off before. So I'm guessing its algae of some kind. Any suggestions?

PS this is the only coral in my tank that has an attitude. All is well otherwise.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Alive and Kick'n BOD 8-29-17
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 02:25 PM   #2
rvareef
In Memoriam

I would not worry about fragging kenya tree, when its ready it will take over you tank

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 05:04 PM   #3
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Be careful what you wish for... a happy Kenya tree can make most reef keepers very unhappy!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 05:18 PM   #4
RussC
Registered Member

LOL. Of all my corals, this guy is like a blob. Everything is flourishing except this guy. Coincidentally, he's also the only coral I've received mail order.

Unread 01/29/2018, 04:12 AM   #5
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

I wouldn't recommend fragging an unhappy softie, unless I was dealing with say an infected colony where I could cut away the affected area, sounds like the whole coral is unhappy.
I would instead try to get the coral thriving before propagation. stressing it through fragging is only likely to cost you the whole coral.

Unread 01/29/2018, 04:22 AM   #6
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

as for actually fragging a kenya it is simple if you chose to, simply cut off the piece you want drop it into a smalltupperware container with some rubble and let it attach cover it with bridal veil or similar mesh to keep it in the container, after a couple weeks remove it from the container and glue the rubble pieces it has attached to to a plug or rock with super glue.

Unread 01/29/2018, 08:45 AM   #7
RussC
Registered Member

This has been a really moody coral. Its never been completely open and 'healthy'. Half will open, half not. one day nothing. Some days just a piece here and there. There is one thing I've always noticed. Its what looks like alagae growing up the side of the stalk. I've scrubbed it off and after the coral gets over being ticked off from me scubbing it, that's when it seems to expand its best. This algae is localized to this coral, though. Tank is not covered.