Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2005, 09:01 PM   #51
sWampy
Registered Member

Wonder if one of these with usb support and one of those usb->parallel cables could be used to drive one of these http://www.electronickits.com/kit/co...lec/ck1601.htm

They are $35 and I've seen usb->parallel cables for $5 or so. Would be cheaper than the $69 controller, and has 8 10A relays.

sWampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2005, 09:09 PM   #52
barebottoms
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sWampy

They are $35 and I've seen usb->parallel cables for $5 or so. Would be cheaper than the $69 controller, and has 8 10A relays.

I'm not sure what're asking here. What $69 controller? If you're saying cheaper than the Linksys Router, sure, but you still need a computer to dedicate to it. I'm using the Linksys Router as the dedicated computer.

For relays I'm using these at $12.90 with Opto Isolation Per 4 relays:
http://futurlec.com/TrainingBoardAccessories.shtml

I added the X10 package because it was a Feature Request, and as a migration path. I don't like X10 myself.

barebottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2005, 09:18 PM   #53
sWampy
Registered Member

In the first post you mentioned a $69 1 wire 4 relay controller board that was $69. The above looked cheaper than $69, and would control 8 relay. I'm pretty sure the linux drivers for the usb-lpt cables could be compiled for the linux based routers.

Unread 03/30/2005, 09:25 PM   #54
barebottoms
Registered Member

Ah, okay. I've abandoned that board now. Going to try out this one instead. Yeah if I were to use the Asus Router, I probably could use the parallel port and the usb port for that board above. I choose the Linksys for now because it was readily available and cheaper than the Asus.

BTW if you were doing computer based automation with a Parallel port with that kit you listed above, here is an input circuit for it.

http://halloween.sitenation.com/site.../1025541305/ca

Unread 03/30/2005, 09:31 PM   #55
sWampy
Registered Member

Well I was using that board on an arcade cabinet/jukebox I have to disable the coin slots when it wasn't ready to accept coins, turn on/off speakers and lights depending on time of day, etc. I just saw this little project and thought it would be a pretty nice solution if you were using a router with usb.

It would be really nice if someone had made an easily hackable one with a lpt port built in. I'm surprised more don't have lpt and usb for printer sharing.

Unread 03/30/2005, 09:39 PM   #56
barebottoms
Registered Member

The Asus one is one with a USB port and Parallel

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...320-302&depa=0

It is easily hackable. Here is the people that have firmware for it:
http://www.chupa.nl/forum/

Stop making me regret I choose the linksys

Actually, they are pretty much the same software wise. They are all based on a Broadcom Reference board and run the say Linux reference design. Just need to tweak them for the difference in the boards.

So I could easily port the packages over to the Asus.

Unread 03/30/2005, 10:06 PM   #57
sWampy
Registered Member

Crap, I learned I was getting a bonus today, now I'm going to endup spending part of it on a new router, and another relay board. This would sure be a nicer setup for controlling my tank other than the 5 timmers I have running now, and 3 more I'd like to add. Makes me wish I hadn't wasted $100 yesterday on 2 theromostat controlled switches to cut on/off my heater and fans.

Unread 04/01/2005, 03:51 PM   #58
barebottoms
Registered Member

I'm sick of this project. So for the last feature I've added a Cat feeder.
This feature allows you to feed your fish to your cat as tasty Yum Yum Treats.

Web control WRRC and it will use a servo to pluck a random fish to dispense to your favorite feline.

Enjoy!

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7403

Unread 04/02/2005, 10:10 PM   #59
barebottoms
Registered Member

Templates based Web Interface Completed. This is the Status Screen with showing all the X10 Modules Current status. The admin screen will have links for each module to toggle On/Off of each module.

Unread 04/07/2005, 10:07 PM   #60
barebottoms
Registered Member

Help?

Unread 04/08/2005, 10:23 AM   #61
barebottoms
Registered Member

Windows share's mounts too.

Unread 07/24/2005, 08:00 PM   #62
msd2
Registered Member

This is a fascinating post, unfortunatly way over my head/ablities. Im guessing that if I get lost on the post its going to be too challenging to follow your steps? Is there a place you can suggest I start to understand half of what you are talking about. I can see the advantages of what your building and truly could use one so I am willing to try and learn....

msd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2005, 08:27 PM   #63
aka_BigRed
Registered Member

I haven't had any time to work on this project with it being summer time and all. Living in MN, I have to take full advantage of the 3 months of decent weather before winter sets back in. I know I'm still interested in it, but time is the key right now. It's really a work in progress, but I know there's a firmware out on the site that has some functionality, with basic web administration but it's still pretty linux oriented for anything beyond that.

If you are interested, I'd start out reading what we have posted on the website.

wwww.bytality.com/wrrc/

aka_BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2005, 11:35 PM   #64
msd2
Registered Member

Will be doing that, enjoy your decent summer weather

msd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2005, 05:27 PM   #65
pista01
Registered Member

Any new updates? I'm particularly interested in the pH/ORP interface.

I like the idea of using a Linksys, but I already have a PC running Linux, so I will use it instead. The hardware side seems pretty straightforward, except for the pH interfaces. I want to make sure the A/D converter and amp combination will allow for good probe resolution.

pista01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2005, 10:13 AM   #66
sterling18
WMAS and HVReef Member

amazing

sterling18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2005, 07:41 AM   #67
aka_BigRed
Registered Member

It really kills me, but no progress lately. I've been working 60+ hrs/week recently which should be slowing down mid Nov. I really want to make progress on this project though. Just plain cool, and really functional. Still could use some help from someone with electronics knowledge to get the PH/ORP interfaces setup. Need some help with A/D converters or op-amp setups to get the pH milivolts into the 1-wire interface.

Unread 10/11/2005, 12:14 AM   #68
Thelziamut
Registered Member

I'm just trying to pull together the router & 1wire stuff into an operational pile of parts at the moment, but I appreciate the work that's been done so far. This project definitely looks like it'll provide the control that I'm sure I'd need if I had a tank up and running...

First things first, eh?

Regarding the pH probe interface: anything I've learned about electronics vanished years ago when I turned to the Soft Side and away from the messy analog realm, but would it not be possible to throw a handful of diodes at the thing in order to split the negative and positive voltages into two separate A/D converter channels, while inverting the negative to produce a positive input?

I realize that it wouldn't be ideal, as you'd have the acidic side on one channel and the basic on the other, but you could recombine them in software and read the full range of the probe, after some amplification.

I'm sure there's a very fundamental reason why this wouldn't be possible, but I'll probably blow up my router and/or pH probe just to check things out. I find the pretty sparks enchanting...

Thelziamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2005, 05:14 PM   #69
pista01
Registered Member

What about this (page 10)?
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LMC6001.pdf

...connected to a DS2450 -> http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2921

pista01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2006, 10:46 PM   #70
Gordonious
Registered Member

6/13/2006... What happened you guys get a working product and start selling them, lol? I just started reading on this. I'd really like to look into doing this, however if everyone else has abandoned the project with all you already found and documented... yeah I don't think I could get a finished project.

Jon

Gordonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2006, 11:42 PM   #71
Zaphod
Registered Member

any update?

Current Tank Info: 90 gal Mixed Reef
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2006, 10:22 AM   #72
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Looks like barebottoms' last post was over a year ago. Must have went someplace else.

Too bad. This looks like a killer project.

don't go ninjin' nobody that don't need ninjin'!

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260
AcroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2006, 11:36 AM   #73
aka_BigRed
Registered Member

Yeah, I pretty much lost touch with barebottoms, and personally don't have the low-level linux skills to do this on my own. I'm more of a high-level PC guy and am very new to *nix systems. I am looking at doing it on a PC running linux out of the box since that will cut out all the custom compiling to make it run on the WRT54g. I'm more at home with a PC and think that'd be more flexible in the long run too.

I think alot of the same stuff will apply AFA usefullness and outcomes just on another hardware platform.

BTW, I still need to find someone who can figure out how to input pH mV's using any of the 1-wire sensors. Anyone savy with EE type stuff would be VERY usefull to get the sensor circuits going....

Unread 08/08/2006, 10:22 PM   #74
GrumpyDave
Registered Member

I've been wanting to do this project for a long time. I decided that the pH probe was the real deal-breaker. On my way to researching a bunch of ways to do the pH, I think I have found something that may work...

This is an "Electrode Amplifier" for pH probes. It sells for $40. I think it does exactly what we want.

pH probe Amplifier

Here is a link to the pinout.

I got this information from the Phidgets.com web site. I was looking at their products - they are interfaces that connect to a USB port - like what Barebottoms was doing with 1-wire. If there was a port of the Phidgets software to openwrt, then you could use them instead of (or in addition to) the 1-wire stuff. They also have a USB to ph Probe module.

The forum post that discusses the pH probe amplifier is here.

The pH Amplifier seems like a nice solution to the pH probe problem.

dave

GrumpyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2006, 09:16 AM   #75
Gordonious
Registered Member

We talked about the Go-Link(USB) and pH probe a little in this thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

Only problem with Vernier products seems to be that if you don't have there DAQ or links, there products will not work. From what I am being told the ports they use will not work with anything else, so if someone were to get a probe then look into using for a project like this router project, it wouldn't be easy and may not be possible to do.

Gordonious is offline   Reply With Quote