Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/02/2017, 07:39 PM   #701
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I don't remember if you use one, but have you thought about a UV sterilizer? A lot of people with delicate fish use them. Copps is the top hobbyist that comes to mind.
Hey Ed,

Good to hear from you. I don't use a UV sterilizer. I don't think any of my issues were from disease related, except for the pyramid perhaps.

If I was going to use anything, I think it would be an ozone generator, but they've always made me nervous and I figure I can circumvent the need by having a rigid quarantine protocol.

I have a feeling the blueline is behind the tank. I'm a moron and still don't have a lid. At least I know I'm a moron. Or wait, does that make it worse.

Hope your tank is well.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 01:12 PM   #702
caribfan
Registered Member

Well, the modestus and pyramid didn't make it. I'm not honestly surprised, just wish I knew exactly what happened. I suppose that's the risk you take when you leave for two weeks...

I moved the barberfish out of the sump and back into the main display. It appears to be leaving the idol alone for now, so I'm hopeful that trend continues. The idol has actually developed a bit of an attitude and has been known to nip at the Achilles tang.

Current list:
Butterflies:
Chaetodon Rainfordi
Chaetodon Flavirostris
Johnrandallia nigrirostris

Angels:Centropyge Eibli
Centropyge Venustus x 2
Centropyge Multifasciatus
Pygoplites diacanthus x 1
Centropyge Flavissima

Damsels
Chrysiptera talboti x 3
Chrysiptera annulata

OthersAcanthurus Achilles
Zebrasoma flavescens x 2
Zanclus cornutus

New targets are:
C. Semilarvatus
C. Octofasciatus
R. Modestus

I'm also on the hunt for a black dog face. I've heard they aren't being collected anymore from the Solomon islands. If someone stumbles across one, please PM me. Even if it's at a local shop.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
Unread 07/19/2017, 09:23 PM   #703
Naraku
Registered Member

very nice to see you back in the hobby. I have a pair of rainfordi eating pellets. However, my resident butterflies stopped eating pellets.

Naraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 09:24 PM   #704
Naraku
Registered Member

pictures?

Unread 07/20/2017, 07:13 AM   #705
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naraku View Post
very nice to see you back in the hobby. I have a pair of rainfordi eating pellets. However, my resident butterflies stopped eating pellets.
What do you have for resident butterflies? I'm not sure I've seen your tank before.

I'll try to get pictures later today. I'm still not sure where or how to upload them since photobucket became terrible.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 07/20/2017, 02:23 PM   #706
Naraku
Registered Member

I have

1 red sea bannerfish

a pair of saddleback butterflyfish (the smaller one stopped eating and I think won't make it)

1 Auriga

2 starcki damselfish

In quarantine I have a pair of rainfordi, a majestic, a pair of fusilier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
What do you have for resident butterflies? I'm not sure I've seen your tank before.

I'll try to get pictures later today. I'm still not sure where or how to upload them since photobucket became terrible.

Unread 07/20/2017, 02:25 PM   #707
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naraku View Post
I have

1 red sea bannerfish

a pair of saddleback butterflyfish (the smaller one stopped eating and I think won't make it)

1 Auriga

2 starcki damselfish

In quarantine I have a pair of rainfordi, a majestic, a pair of fusilier.
Did the rainfordi come in as a pair, or just tolerate each other. I would love to get a second one, if I'm nervous they won't play along.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 07/20/2017, 09:17 PM   #708
Naraku
Registered Member

They are random. I have always bought them as pairs or groups. They never kill each other.

Although yours is established so you may need to rearrange the tank layout.

Quote:
Did the rainfordi come in as a pair, or just tolerate each other. I would love to get a second one, if I'm nervous they won't play along.

Unread 08/11/2017, 08:27 PM   #709
caribfan
Registered Member

Busy past 10 days, I'm happy to report that I currently have the following in quarantine:
- Larvatus butterfly (TSM Corals)
- Arabian Butterfly (TSM Corals)
- Semilarvatus Butterfly (TSM Corals)

- Golden pufferfish (collected by Rufus) maybe the smallest I've ever seen - just an awesome fish
- Declivis Butterfly (also collected by Rufus) no bigger than a half dollar - stunning.

Big thanks to Ray at TSM Corals and Jordan / Rufus at Among the reef for helping me source these fish.

The declivis, Semilarvatus and puffer are all pigs. I'm working on the larvatus and Arabian, they are obviously going to be a significant challenge. I'll try to get pictures or a video up tomorrow. That never seems to happen as quickly as I'd like it too.

Trying to shift the balance to being a butterfly heavy tank again. Plus a puffer, and maybe a trigger...

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/12/2017, 01:41 AM   #710
Dromon
Registered Member

What an awesome haul caribfan!

Dromon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 03:10 PM   #711
suta4242
Registered Member

From the frying pan into the fire!
I'm sure the corallivores will keep you very busy...good luck with them.

suta4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 05:40 PM   #712
Naraku
Registered Member

looking forward to videos

Unread 08/14/2017, 06:39 AM   #713
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Good luck with those fish, Matt! They are some toughies for sure!

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 07:51 PM   #714
caribfan
Registered Member

Sorry for the lack of videos or updates, I promise they are coming soon. I dropped my phone in the sink and have been without a phone / camera for a few days. Should have something soon though.

I did lose the Larvatus, not completely surprised unfortunately. The fish was in great health when it came in, but was a bit larger than I would have hoped for.

Everything else is doing well, the Arabian still isn't eating, but is starting to seem interested.

I just picked up the Ocellate butterfly from DD. Literally been looking for one of these for the better part of 5 years.

Once I get the new phone, I promise videos will be coming.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/18/2017, 09:19 PM   #715
dh350twin
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the Larvartus.

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon peninsula mixed reef tank
dh350twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 07:02 AM   #716
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Some tough specimens!! Hopeful for you....

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 08:27 AM   #717
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Some tough specimens!! Hopeful for you....
Hi Peter, how's your tank?

You're to blame for the P. Ocellatus, I've been searching for one ever since I saw the pair you had for a short time, probably close to 5 years now. I noticed that the DD listings no longer feature a description. Those descriptions would usually make mention of what the fish was eating. Hoping I can have some luck with it.

Do you recall what food yours ate?

I recently had someone locate the Hong Kong butterfly for me, unfortunately, it was about $1000 past my price limit. Maybe in the spring if I get some extra money...

I'll get photos and videos up as soon as the new phone arrives. The little Declivis is soo tiny, such a cool fish. It swims upside close to 50% of the time it seems. I was initially concerned, but I'm pretty sure it's on purpose. Keeps picking at stuff on the lid.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/19/2017, 08:30 AM   #718
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh350twin View Post
Sorry to hear about the Larvartus.
Thanks, these fish are difficult / impossible to begin with.

I'm just happy to see more successes with these obligate corallivores pop up every year on the internet. Hopefully we'll be to the point of that orange spotted tilefish in a few years.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/19/2017, 10:50 AM   #719
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Hi Peter, how's your tank?

You're to blame for the P. Ocellatus, I've been searching for one ever since I saw the pair you had for a short time, probably close to 5 years now. I noticed that the DD listings no longer feature a description. Those descriptions would usually make mention of what the fish was eating. Hoping I can have some luck with it.

Do you recall what food yours ate?

I recently had someone locate the Hong Kong butterfly for me, unfortunately, it was about $1000 past my price limit. Maybe in the spring if I get some extra money...

I'll get photos and videos up as soon as the new phone arrives. The little Declivis is soo tiny, such a cool fish. It swims upside close to 50% of the time it seems. I was initially concerned, but I'm pretty sure it's on purpose. Keeps picking at stuff on the lid.
Hey Matt!

Never blame me, I just post pics LOL!

The ocellatus were not difficult, honestly, had I just fed them enough.... they only ate "soft" foods like minced diver scallop and black worms. They wouldn't touch pellets, or even PE mysis. This didn't go well when I had to work a lot, and basically all I did was throw pellets ion the tank once every other day

Hong Kong BF as in Wiebeli ? Good grief they should not be expensive. Someone was trying to play you if that's the case.

I miss my declivis and other roaops.... my burgessi has made it clear he will be the only roaops in the tank

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 08/19/2017, 10:53 AM   #720
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Matt!

Never blame me, I just post pics LOL!

The ocellatus were not difficult, honestly, had I just fed them enough.... they only ate "soft" foods like minced diver scallop and black worms. They wouldn't touch pellets, or even PE mysis. This didn't go well when I had to work a lot, and basically all I did was throw pellets ion the tank once every other day

Hong Kong BF as in Wiebeli ? Good grief they should not be expensive. Someone was trying to play you if that's the case.

I miss my declivis and other roaops.... my burgessi has made it clear he will be the only roaops in the tank
Good to hear, I'm feeding strictly soft foods, LRS.

Yeah, I kind of thought the Wiebeli should be cheap too, but I suppose it's a supply and demand issue. When was the last one you saw offered for sale in the U.S.? I just don't think they make it out of Japan to our market.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/19/2017, 10:59 AM   #721
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Good to hear, I'm feeding strictly soft foods, LRS.

Yeah, I kind of thought the Wiebeli should be cheap too, but I suppose it's a supply and demand issue. When was the last one you saw offered for sale in the U.S.? I just don't think they make it out of Japan to our market.
While I agree they haven't been offered here, that shouldn't make them expensive. In my years, I've seen ignitus anthias become a regular sale, and not more expensive. Even white capped gobies.... at least they are expensive because they are hard to catch.... IMO if enough people wanted Wiebeli BF's, they would be had at a regular price.... maybe Kevin Kohen can chime in on this?

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 08/19/2017, 12:12 PM   #722
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
While I agree they haven't been offered here, that shouldn't make them expensive. In my years, I've seen ignitus anthias become a regular sale, and not more expensive. Even white capped gobies.... at least they are expensive because they are hard to catch.... IMO if enough people wanted Wiebeli BF's, they would be had at a regular price.... maybe Kevin Kohen can chime in on this?
So are you saying you would buy one? That would make two sales in the U.S. Help a couple guys out Kevin!!!

The closes thing i've seen was something offered by NyAquatic a couple years ago, but it wasn't a Weibeli.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/19/2017, 10:57 PM   #723
dh350twin
Registered Member

Quote:
So are you saying you would buy one? That would make two sales in the U.S. Help a couple guys out Kevin!!!

The closes thing i've seen was something offered by NyAquatic a couple years ago, but it wasn't a Weibeli.

Make that three sales!

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon peninsula mixed reef tank
dh350twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2017, 07:57 AM   #724
DFS
RC Sponsor

Auripes and Nippon are most commonly available, but for some reason not Wieblei. I will work with a few folks to try and procure some Wiebeli if the opportunity presents itself.

Cheers,
Kevin

Current Tank Info: Too many to list
DFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2017, 08:23 AM   #725
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFS View Post
Auripes and Nippon are most commonly available, but for some reason not Wieblei. I will work with a few folks to try and procure some Wiebeli if the opportunity presents itself.

Cheers,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.