Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2006, 08:20 PM   #51
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

Quik up date.

I just checked the #s and it looks good.

Alk 4.3 Dkh 12
Ca 380
Mg 1320

I'm going to give one more shot of Ca in the morning befor I start back with the Kalkwasser and both parts of Randys 2 part.

Fish geek <')))><

Current Tank Info: Old School Reefer: Building a new 225 from the old 150 gal SPS main display, 125 gal sump W/ 10 year old Plenum, 40 gal miracle mud refugium, Reeflow 250 Skimmer, Korallin C3002 Calcium Reactor W/ 30’secondary chamber, 2 Ice cap 250w MH SE W/ AquaC
Ah64av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2006, 09:08 PM   #52
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

One of these days Ill get my money out of this camera......until then Ill just keep trying.

Let me know what they look like to you.

Fish geek <')))><

Current Tank Info: Old School Reefer: Building a new 225 from the old 150 gal SPS main display, 125 gal sump W/ 10 year old Plenum, 40 gal miracle mud refugium, Reeflow 250 Skimmer, Korallin C3002 Calcium Reactor W/ 30’secondary chamber, 2 Ice cap 250w MH SE W/ AquaC
Unread 12/12/2006, 11:01 PM   #53
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

Things are settling down and the #s are looking good.

Alk 3.7 Dkh 11
Ca 380
Mg 1400

I've started back dripping Kalkwasser and am watching the #s to determine a consumption rate for dosing Randy’s 2 part.

The SLRs came this afternoon from Icecap as promised. The new design is much simpler and sturdier than the first batch and a whole lot easier to assemble. It took longer to take apart the old ones and pack them up to send back than it did to assemble the new set.

The old set is on the left, the bracket that held the bulb clip was held in place by the two little holes, the new design the bulb clip screws directly on the reflector.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/14/2006, 08:43 PM   #54
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

The order from Keys critters came to day. It got here at 9:00am Via FedEx and the package was in good shape. I ordered 700 Blueleg hermits 300 Cerith snails and 500 Astrea snals. I put 200 Bluelegs 100 Ceriths and 100 Astreas in the 65 and most of the rest will go to other club members who went in on the order. What isn’t taken by the guys from the club will go into the 120.

Every thing looks good so far there were only a few DOAs. The inverts were shipped dry from the keys and were very lively and in excellent shape, there is no complaint over the quality of their livestock....perhaps the best I have ever gotten.

I think they could have gotten twice as much in the same box or gotten away with the smaller box. I just think I could have gotten a few hundred more in the same box and saved on the packaging and shipping. Overall I’m very happy with the quality of the product and the prompt shipping. I will learn from this order before the next one.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/15/2006, 12:10 AM   #55
jeffbrig
Premium Member

I'm still disappointed that you won that purple acro and not me. How is that green tenuis frag doing in your tank? Mine has colored up very well in the last month, I'll have to get a picture of it to show you...

Current Tank Info: formerly 250g room divider
jeffbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2006, 01:03 AM   #56
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

Jeff,
Its put on a little around the base but not much, the Monti is doing great, although I think the chemistry problems I had have stunted the growth. All is good now and it hasnt looked better.

I have been working on the light fixture to house 2 Icecap 250w HQI and 4 T5s powered by an Icecap 660. I used 1’ X 1/8’ angle aluminum and pop riveted the rails that the fixtures will attach to. I am incorporating PC fans to keep the temp down. I'm looking at some 120mm fans and was wondering what is the quietest with the most CFM.

The Icecap 120mm fan runs around $45.00, the 2 that I have now have been running great for about 5 years.

*Variable speed control (based on ambient temperature)
*Air based temperature controlled probe
*12 Volt DC operation with quick disconnect transformer included
*Ball bearing and conformal coated for harsh environments
*Fan guard with mounting hardware included
*50 – 102 CFM
*Maximum decibels: 48 dBA

Vantec ThermoFlow 120mm fan runs around $15.00 but I will still need a power supply.

*Variable speed control (based on ambient temperature)
*Air based temperature controlled probe
*12 Volt DC with Molex connecter / transformer not included
*Dual Ball bearing
*Fan guard with mounting hardware included
*54.3 – 92 CFM
*Maximum decibels: 29 - 39 dBA

Should I get the variable speed temp controlled fans like the Icecap or just go for the high CFM fan and use a separate speed controller and power supply?

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/15/2006, 01:55 PM   #57
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

Well if it isn’t one thing it’s another. My new clean up crew needs cleaning up after.
They are starting to make a dent in what is left of the hair algae. You know the old saying what goes in must come out, there is poop everywhere! I have to get more flow to keep it all suspended so it will go overboard, that means rearranging the rock and corals so they don’t get blasted by the return.

The total crew now is.
1 Red Sea Sailfin Tang
1 Lawnmower blenny
2 Black Mollies
2 Peppermint shrimp
2 Brittle starfish
5 Star snails
7 Trochus snails
12 Emerald Crabs
50 Nassarius Vibex snails
200 Blueleg hermit Crabs
100 Cerith snails
100 Astrea snals.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/19/2006, 04:21 PM   #58
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

This weekend was the Reef Club meeting, and I got a few frags of a brown and orange Monti cap and an orange Monti Digi. They all look brown now I hope they color up.

The Euro Reef 5-2 skimmer on the 65 stopped working Sunday morning as I was doing my normal Sunday maintenance so I pulled it out of the sump and gave it a good cleaning. The Sedra 3500 has been running for almost 5 years and the impeller and housing had some ware. It lasted until this morning and failed again so I called Euro Reef and ordered a new pump and rubber for it should last another 5 years now.

I'm still working on the light rack for the 150 and am pondering the placement of the fans. The hood will be completely open above the lights and the back will have a sliding door to allow access from the back. The ends will be closed so there is not enough room on the sides of the hood to get air in behind the fans unless they are under the lights creating shadows. There is plenty of room in the rack for at least 3 120mm fans. Having them in the rack blowing up, down or at an angle will work best with the current layout.

The 2 Icecap 120mm fans in the 65 have been running great for about 5 years, so it’s time to get some new ones for the 150. I still need some Stainless Steal screws to mount the blocks for the T5 end caps so it’s off to the HD.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/21/2006, 05:27 PM   #59
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

Local Reefer comes to the rescue!

Yesterday as I was leaving the doctor’s office another local reefer (boydx6) called me on my cell phone wanting to know if I was home so he could come buy to get some of the extra clean up crew from the order I made from Keys Critters. I told him I was in Tampa and would not be home for a while. We talked a little more and as I was telling him that the pump on my RE skimmer died, and he asked if it was a Sedra KSP 3500? It was like he had it in his hand (he actually did) as fast as I said yes he said I got one here I'm not using now you can borrow it.

What is funny is I was only about a mile from him and it was on the way home. So I stopped by and picked it up Thanks Stephen. It is working like a champ again; the new pump shipped yesterday and should be here right after Christmas.

I got the remaining hardware for the light fixture so I should get back to working on that.

Here are some pics of the light rack.

This is the end I still have to cut and bend the arms that the T5s are on down at a 45 degree angle and cut the end panel from 3/32 T4 aluminum and pop rivet it on.

From the top # 1&3 will be 120mm fans pointed down at a 45 degree angle and #2 will be 120mm fan pointed up.

I still have to cut the end panels that will hold the 120mm fans from 3/32 T4 aluminum and bend the ends down at a 45 degree angle so they will connect the end of the rack, the top of the MH and pop rivet it on, it will also connect to the mounting bolts that will hold the entire thing up. Then I have to cut the center panel that will hold the 120mm fan and rivet it into place.

This is the only way I can see to get full coverage of the water surface and exhaust.

Comments would be good about now!

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/21/2006, 06:20 PM   #60
gkarshens
Registered Member

The light rack looks great! I need to add some T5s for actinics to my setup.

It's about time!
gkarshens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2006, 06:38 PM   #61
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

Gabriel,

Thanks, there has been a lot of thinking as to how to do it and hard work; I have just got to get it finished. I still haven’t decided on the make of fans I'm going to use yet. I think Ill go with the Icecap just because I know they will last.

I still have to wire the rack and build the rack that will hold the 2 IC HQI ballasts, the 2 IC 660 ballasts and the transformers for the fans.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/21/2006, 07:23 PM   #62
boydx6
Premium Member

Greg, thanks for the good words, I am glad I could help out. I am usually the one that needs the help. It was good to finally meet you. I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Stephen

boydx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2006, 08:04 PM   #63
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

Stephen,

You are welcome and Thank you.
I wish a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours!

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/21/2006, 09:31 PM   #64
jeffbrig
Premium Member

Wow, that looks great! I've been thinking about re-doing my hanging chains with a rope and pulley system for easier raising and lowering. I think I'm going to steal your idea with the aluminum angle rods for the frame. Strong, lightweight and essentially corrosion free.

Are the MH pendants just resting on the frame? And if so, do you have any concern about them reducing the light footprint?

Unread 12/21/2006, 10:08 PM   #65
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

Jeff,

The HQI fixture is just sitting on the angle aluminum and I didn’t have any concern about them reducing the light footprint.

The 250 watt XM bulb is the smallest size it will accept and the frame only covers about ÂĽ inch beyond the fixture.

I am going to suspend the rack from the hood by threaded rod screwed into the HQI fixture. I should have about 4" of adjustment from the threaded rod.

When its finished the whole rack will be polished and I will spray it with this aluminum protectant I have for the tower and T Top on my boat. I'm not sure what it is but it has worked great on the boat.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/21/2006, 10:21 PM   #66
jeffbrig
Premium Member

Quote:
I should have about 4" of adjustment from the threaded rod.
Do you think that's going to be easy enough to raise/lower? You've seen how mine are suspended on chains, right? Historically I've kept my lights way off the water (8"+) so I had room to get in the tank for cleaning. Recently I've started lowering them closer to the water to get more intensity, but I'm finding that it's a serious PITA to change them around, mainly because you have to do it at both ends. That's where I'm looking to simplify things a bit.

Unread 12/21/2006, 10:39 PM   #67
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

I may have to go with eye bolts in the fixture with cable and pulleys but that is a ways out right now. I still need to finnish the stand and hood.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/23/2006, 01:27 PM   #68
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

The mailman just dropped off the mail, and I don’t believe it my package from Euro Reef came, it shipped on the 21st and got here on the 23rd. It looks like the USPS is on the ball this holiday season.

I opened the box inventoried the contents and gave the new Sedra KSP 3500 a quick inspection, I pulled out the impeller looked it over, every thing was shinny and new.

I gave the pump a fresh RO rinse; I pored some 50/50 vinegar and RO in a bowl and gave it a 1 minute run then an other fresh RO rinse.

I installed the new uniseal in the skimmer body and the new O-ring in the union and dropped it back into the sump and installed the pump. When I plugged it in I had to look to see if it fired up, yes it was running and making a lot of bubbles but no noise. I guess that I had gotten used to the rattle the old pump made.

I'm still tweaking it to get the riser tube the right height, I would not have thought there would have been that much difference in the two pumps.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/23/2006, 05:03 PM   #69
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

I raised the riser tube all the way up and still couldn’t get any foam in the cup. I pulled the pump and removed the venturi after closer inspection and comparison with the old one. I noticed that the new venturi had a smaller opening than the old one so I swapped the new for old and reinstalled the pump. As soon as I fired it up I noticed a substantial difference in the quantity of bubbles in the body of the skimmer, and the foam rose to the top of the cup, I lowered the riser tube and it settled in at about half way up the cup, and is now producing a nice head of foam.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 12/25/2006, 05:49 PM   #70
mflamb
Registered Member

Nice setup. I was at the BBQ at bgdiving's. I wish I could have met you. You seem to have it together on this reef stuff.

Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
mflamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2006, 08:40 PM   #71
wsurf4me
Registered Member

Just read the entire thread, looks good. Always seems to be more interesting when its somebody local to your area.

wsurf4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2006, 12:56 PM   #72
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mflamb
Nice setup. I was at the BBQ at bgdiving's. I wish I could have met you. You seem to have it together on this reef stuff.
Mflamb, Thanks, I have been doing this for a while but don’t profess to know it all. Brian has sure has some real nice stuff. We have been friends for about 5 years now, and I'm still amazed at how low tech his setups are. If any one wants to debate the DSB vs. BB, I would just take them to Brian’s so they can see for their self. The auction was great I got some nice stuff (that Brian wouldn’t otherwise sell) I was the one (with the brace on the leg) who brought the Nassarius snails for the auction. I'm sure we must have spoken at one point.

Quote:
Originally posted by wsurf4me
Just read the entire thread, looks good. Always seems to be more interesting when its somebody local to your area.
wsurf4me, Thanks, I still have questions and the same troubles as every one else, and its nice to have local reefers there when you need help.

Well the ER is still giving me a little trouble, yesterday I had an over flowing skimmer and I couldn’t get it under control so I put the new venturi back on. This morning the skimate was dark and thick and only about ¼’ deep normally there is about an inch in the cup 12 hours after cleaning. That was until I fed this morning and then it blew the top off the cup again. I guess Ill keep playing with it and hopefully it will settle in to its happy place again.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 01/02/2007, 03:46 PM   #73
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

I have been working on the hood for the 150 and the sheet metal is almost finished all that is left is finish cutting the holes for the fans and polishing the aluminum. I am at the point of no return with the fan placement I have cut the T3 aluminum for the fans and I just have to commit to riveting them place.

I started to wire up the the Light fixture and came across a few problems.

The plan is to have 2 IC 660s one for Actinic T5s and one for 10k T5s each on a separate ballasts and timer so that the Actinics come on first then 30minutes later the 10ks come on. I would have to split the harness having half of each one going to a different tank.

1.The distance between the display and propagation tank is to far to split the IC 660 wiring harness so that I can have the Actinics and 10k T5s on separate ballasts and timers.

2.If I mount the ballast in between the two tanks I would not be to remove the hood with out disconnecting the harness at the end caps.

If I get the 15' long wiring harness I will still have the problem of not being able disconnect the wiring in the hood for removal.

The solution I came up with was to have one harness for the display and one for the prop tank, with a separate harness extension with quick disconnects between the hood and ballast.

I have seen a few retailers that sell IC 6' extensions, I asked on the IC forum if I get 2 of the 6' wiring harness extensions split like this?

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 01/02/2007, 06:57 PM   #74
Ah64av8tor
Premium Member

I got some new corals this weekend and I tried to snap a few pics. Still messing with the camera........ ARGGG......... I have been using the 100-4 method, that is take 100 and get 4......so here are the 4 not so good pics.

Fish geek <')))><

Unread 01/02/2007, 09:16 PM   #75
mflamb
Registered Member

Great coral pics!!!

Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
mflamb is offline   Reply With Quote