Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2009, 10:39 PM   #76
byrdman81
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry Kevin!... zonked from a lack of sleep the last couple days.

LOL i was reading that and was thinking I think he is talking to me but im not sure ha. Build is looking good love the work. If we ever move i hope i get to do the same thing you are doing!

If someone ever gets an non swithc side end panel in for that fixture i will get it installed and finally get a thread of my tank up lol.

But back to your tank looks good so far and it is great to have wife support.

byrdman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2009, 11:51 PM   #77
Crazy One
Registered Member.

Everything is looking great so far aquainas.
The light rack looks very useful but maybe think about adding another rail to that so the whole rack would slide back to the wall and give more acess? (just a thought if possible)
Also with the tank in the garage you will need something to pull out the humidity, but also need to keep the temeratures stable.
I wasn't sure if you said that a chiller was going to be added or not.
I would also think about the temps climbing up everytime the garage door is opened?
Also think about how much evaporation you will have when everything is up and running, might be alot more than you thought.
So you know I;m not criticizing just throwing ideas out there so you don't make some of the same mistakes I did on my project.

Crazy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2009, 12:15 AM   #78
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy One
Everything is looking great so far aquainas.
The light rack looks very useful but maybe think about adding another rail to that so the whole rack would slide back to the wall and give more acess? (just a thought if possible)
Also with the tank in the garage you will need something to pull out the humidity, but also need to keep the temeratures stable.
I wasn't sure if you said that a chiller was going to be added or not.
I would also think about the temps climbing up everytime the garage door is opened?
Also think about how much evaporation you will have when everything is up and running, might be alot more than you thought.
So you know I;m not criticizing just throwing ideas out there so you don't make some of the same mistakes I did on my project.
You're right on track!
The rail will actually extend out to the right of the tank so I will be able to move all the pendants out of the way if needed.

The tank will be enclosed by its own little room, if you look in the last pic you can see the left wall in place, the right side will have a wall that comes out to the garage track turn in towards the tank and then back out past it flush with the left wall. Two huge sliding doors will be constructed out of a 1"x2" frame and 1/4" ply with dense styrofoam sandwiched in the middle designed to be light and well insulated to span the entire length connecting the two side walls and completing the enclosure. Both walls are being filled with R11 and a small room ac unit built into the enclosure will control temperature and humidity, and the garage itself is going to have two exhaust fans venting to the outside.

You will soon see it all come together! Thanks for stopping by and make sure you tag along

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
aquainas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2009, 06:05 AM   #79
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Congrats!

It's looking good... sounds like you've thought about all the possibilities...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2009, 08:20 AM   #80
aquainas
Registered Member

Re: Congrats!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightsluvr
It's looking good... sounds like you've thought about all the possibilities...

LL
Thanks a lot...I write everything down that pops into my head so I won't space anything. We all know how annoying it can be having to re-do stuff prematurely.

I'm about to log in to your web cam and check out your frag tank as we speak.

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
Unread 08/18/2009, 08:23 AM   #81
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by byrdman81
LOL i was reading that and was thinking I think he is talking to me but im not sure ha. Build is looking good love the work. If we ever move i hope i get to do the same thing you are doing!

If someone ever gets an non swithc side end panel in for that fixture i will get it installed and finally get a thread of my tank up lol.

But back to your tank looks good so far and it is great to have wife support.
Yeah I was talking to you!!!

Is one end panel all you missing? Did you get everything else?

Unread 08/18/2009, 02:56 PM   #82
byrdman81
Registered Member

Yes the LED are working and i have the switch side end panel. The non switch side is out of stock even at current. They said they have no idea when they will get any more in. Still waiting on the claim but the lady said that take a lilttle while to process.

Current Tank Info: 20 long nano currently working on 40 Breeder
Unread 08/18/2009, 03:11 PM   #83
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes the LED are working and i have the switch side end panel. The non switch side is out of stock even at current. They said they have no idea when they will get any more in. Still waiting on the claim but the lady said that take a lilttle while to process.
Could you just use another switch side minus the switches?

Unread 08/18/2009, 03:30 PM   #84
aquainas
Registered Member

Wow over 3700 views but not a whole lot of replies Well I guess with so many other threads out there of bigger tanks...hmm do I need a bigger hole?

Unread 08/18/2009, 07:59 PM   #85
mmedley
Registered Member

tagging along for the ride....in the process of building a new home and i will be finishing the basment myself, i plan on doing a 180-240 inwall.....

mmedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2009, 11:33 PM   #86
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmedley
tagging along for the ride....in the process of building a new home and i will be finishing the basment myself, i plan on doing a 180-240 inwall.....
First off..Welcome to the board!

You will find lots of in-wall threads to gather information and ideas from when planning your own. It's a fair amount of work but it is worth it.

Unread 08/18/2009, 11:35 PM   #87
aquainas
Registered Member

Got some more drywall done tonight and trimmed up the access panel that was cut into the ceiling. I will have to wait till tomorrow to post pics...just dog tired right now...

Unread 08/19/2009, 01:06 AM   #88
byrdman81
Registered Member

He he wearing you out i see. The switch side end panels would only work if i modify them to accomadate the pull out panels for the pc covers. I got your text today thanks for the new number and glad you got my name right I got an email from the shipping place and they want pics of how the light was shipped and i dont have any. UUGH this is becoming such a PITA
Anyway cant wait to see some more pics.

Unread 08/19/2009, 12:10 PM   #89
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
He he wearing you out i see. The switch side end panels would only work if i modify them to accomadate the pull out panels for the pc covers. I got your text today thanks for the new number and glad you got my name right I got an email from the shipping place and they want pics of how the light was shipped and i dont have any. UUGH this is becoming such a PITA
Anyway cant wait to see some more pics.
Tell me about it...I would have posted pics last night but after having to remove an entire sheet of greenboard because I forgot to fill in between with insulation and other stuff I had going on I was ready to call it a night.

Unread 08/20/2009, 08:00 AM   #90
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

The number of replies is compounded by the number of photographs!

I find that photos of spouses and small furry animals evoke the most responses...

(oh yes, and pictures of fish and coral)

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2009, 08:23 AM   #91
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightsluvr
The number of replies is compounded by the number of photographs!

I find that photos of spouses and small furry animals evoke the most responses...

(oh yes, and pictures of fish and coral)

LL
I see you've mastered that strategy!
Guess I'd better get on with it then

Unread 08/20/2009, 08:42 AM   #92
aquainas
Registered Member

I had posted previously that the top braces on the tank were not to my liking so I removed them to re-install my own, here's a pic of the plastic removed just before I took the braces off:

I have the new braces cut and ready to be silicone in place, will do that this evening before I get to building the wall on the other side of the tank.

Unread 08/20/2009, 08:46 AM   #93
serenity
Registered Member

I just love to see people rip holes in new walls . Keep up the great work man!

Unread 08/20/2009, 08:48 AM   #94
aquainas
Registered Member

I've also been thinking about my RO setup, I'm looking for a 5-6 stage 90gpd system but I'm torn between all the different choices...BRS...The Filter Guys....Spectrapure...Can someone recommend a complete setup that has worked well for them?

Unread 08/20/2009, 03:45 PM   #95
byrdman81
Registered Member

http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html

This is what i have

Unread 08/20/2009, 04:17 PM   #96
NaClH20NMYVEIN
Red Dragons!

Spectrapure all the way! They are also local to us so you can always go to the shop for any help you may need. There customer service is amazing.

Current Tank Info: Pacific Ocean
NaClH20NMYVEIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2009, 04:46 PM   #97
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html

This is what i have
I did read through Mel's details on his systems, I'm just very confused as to the validity of whether or not a flush kit is needed.

Unread 08/20/2009, 05:10 PM   #98
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NaClH20NMYVEIN
Spectrapure all the way! They are also local to us so you can always go to the shop for any help you may need. There customer service is amazing.
I am leaning in their direction due to these facts. Is it me or do their systems seem to cost more?

Unread 08/21/2009, 01:09 AM   #99
byrdman81
Registered Member

I have had my unit for about a year and a half now and so far with changing the prefilters and di when im supposed the unit is still producing 0 tds and i dont have a flush kit.

Unread 08/21/2009, 08:57 AM   #100
aquainas
Registered Member

That's good to know^^