Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2015, 06:15 PM   #1
mitchb
Registered Member

New Waveline Apex Ready pump is the real deal

Just picked up a DC4000 from Aquatic Warehouse in San Diego for my 50 gallon tank. I was looking for more flow on my return pump, and once I saw that this pump is Apex ready, I had to have it. Apex geeks I am sure you can relate.

I also wanted more turbulence in my tank so I thought I'd try setting up a wave from my sump return. I set up a profile 15 seconds on/ 15 seconds off at 50 and 100%. All you need is an RJ45 cable, an available Variable speed port and the typical variable speed pump profiles. Pump is very quiet and the wave action is very smooth. The water level in the sump only varies about 3/8" so no affect on my skimmer. Water level in the tank varies about 3/16". It's working great and I achieved what I wanted to. Of course you need to size the pump with the capabilities of your overflow to do this and make sure the sump water level doesn't affect your skimmer. This pump would be fantastic on a closed loop system. If you were starting a new system and willing to drill several holes in your tank, you may not even need a pump within the tank. It's only been a few hours but so far I like this Apex ready pump alot.

mitchb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Theokie
Registered Member

I'm really looking forward to the 12000 version to use on my closed look

Theokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 09:50 AM   #3
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Welcome to Reef Central, thanks for the review and I also like Aquatic Warehouse, my wife gives me a 30 minute time limit there.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Allentown
Registered Member

Due to the fact that changing return pump rate will cause a skimmer to either foam over or be set too low, I see no utility for DC return pumps beyond those who have recirculating skimmers.

The one use i see for one would be to reduce the flow if the filter socks we're getting clogged, say if you worked put of town a lot and couldn't get to your socks for 4 or 5 days, but that would required either a flow sensor on the other side of the socks or an inside the cabinet webcam.

I have 2 returns and only use 1, when I want a nutrient export (or a couple hours before putting in new socks) n activate the second return for an hour or so...doesn't require me to kill the skimmer because it drops the level in the sump.

I suppose you could do something like that with a DC pump and only 1 return? Seems like a large expense for such a low ROI (my main pumps run $70.00 each)

Unread 09/21/2015, 08:48 AM   #5
mitchb
Registered Member

Allentown says, " Due to the fact that changing return pump rate will cause a skimmer to either foam over or be set too low, I see no utility for DC return pumps beyond those who have recirculating skimmers"

What, have you set up every skimmer out there? Obviously not. I am unclear how you can make a statement like, A Fact???. Any skimmer that is set up above the sump water line or outside the sump would not be affected at all, and likely there are other skimmers in a sump would not be affected at all by a small change in the sump water level. Granted, others would be affected. I have a small sump that holds only 17 gallons and it only moves about 3/8". On any larger sump it would move less. How much do you think it would move in a 50/100 gallon sump. Answer, not enough to make a difference.

Regarding bang for the buck. The Waveline 4000 I bought was only $169. A Tunze 6040 is $145, but I would have to put another pump inside my 50 gallon tank and have less control over the flow direction. With the return split with two lock line nozzles and ball valves( all above the tank water level except for the nozzles) I have much more control over the added turbulance I wanted to create. ALSO, these DC pumps are much more efficient and use much less electricity and $ than a cheap $70 pump, and probably last alot longer.

So in short, your fact isn't a fact and the dollar value is there. Agreed?

mitchb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Allentown
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchb View Post

Any skimmer that is set up above the sump water line or outside the sump would not be affected at all, and likely there are other skimmers in a sump would not be affected at all by a small change in the sump water level.

Yes and the earth is also round and the sky is also blue. I mentioned recirculating, of course externals etc.

I don't think consulting captain obvious furthers the duscussion.

I have yet to break a triton pump. Sicce/sharks/tunze/reeflo etc almost never go out, but I have personally had several Waveline, Diablo and Jaebo DC pumps go belly up between 10 months and 18 months of use.

Do a Google search, see for yourself. Check out the be for thread for the RLSS skimmers using waving DC pumps. Like 2/3rd we're replaced ...I think that thread is on reef central. The vendor even admitted. "Poor quality control" was the reason cited. These pumps all shared the same motor block RO replaced my Diablo verson, people who had theirs go out after 12 months were not so lucky... and these were $200 - $300 pumps at the time.

I was first on board with these pumps over 2 years ago and regretted it. The jaebo DC wave makers have same issue, at least they are cheap. So far, the only company proven to make a dependable DC pump is ecotech. The Gyre hasn't exactly set any high bar in being problem free either and I suspect I'll regret buying that to.

Last edited by Allentown; 09/21/2015 at 11:03 AM.
Allentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 04:21 PM   #7
Allentown
Registered Member

FWIW my return pumps move 850gph @30w.

The waveland DC 3000 moves 800gph @25w.

Neither one are heat or power sucking.