Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2013, 05:36 AM   #51
Fishareawesome
Registered Member

ironically, the Bali Catshark eggs are arriving today or tmw! wish me luck

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal FOLWR+, 29gal freshwater 1 pearl gourami 1 b-nose long finned pleco 2 ottos 2 cory cats 3 glass cats 6 neon tetras 1 cherry shrimp 1 banded shrimp 2 alge shrimp 3 assasin snails
Fishareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2013, 07:51 AM   #52
Zoodiver
As seen on TV

Good luck with them. Keep us posted.

Unread 10/17/2013, 05:15 PM   #53
stk731
Registered Member

just build a pond in your basement thats all the room your shark will need

stk731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2013, 06:45 PM   #54
danimallaminad
Registered Member

Haha weird timing. Good luck with the sharks? how many eggs are you getting? and what size tank did you go with? just wondering, i eventually want to setup a shark tank too.

danimallaminad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2014, 01:00 PM   #55
erndog1001
Registered Member

Wow some very ...ummmm ...Lively discussions here lol Ok so i guess I'll toss in my 2 cents. I agree that all sharks need a very large volume of water and space to move around.
That being said. When I see them for sale in my LFS. I just know there's a fair chance that some fool with a 90-100 gal tank might try to squeeze that poor animal in there bc he wants to be "cool" to his friends.
Now IMHO My tank is borderline (400 gal 6'X5'6"X16.5")big enough for full grown Banded Cat Shark. Which is what I recently purchased.He's just a baby and I know he's going to get very large in a couple of years. But the way I see it Thats time enough for me to
1. Build him a very large tank
or
2. Find someone who has one big enough.
Until then he can get fat and happy at my house lol

Unread 01/29/2014, 06:27 AM   #56
Zoodiver
As seen on TV

Full grown the brown banded bamboo shark Chiloscyllium punctatum (mislabled as a catshark, banded cat, black banded cat etc....) can be 4 feet. I'd say your tank is good to raise one, but not for life.

Another point (not directed to anyone specifically) I want to bring up is the idea of getting rid of the shark prior to being full grown. It's not a good practice to start buying animals you can't care for through out the entire life. Very rarely to people or facilities want to be taking on adult sharks from an unknown source. It's an ongoing problem that I deal with on a weekly basis. Exactly as described above, someone buys it because they fell in love with the idea of owning a shark - without really understanding what it takes or having the ability to care for it properly.

Unread 05/02/2014, 01:57 PM   #57
sharkkeeper1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmike View Post
Why would any intelligent person think its ok to put a 4' shark in a 6' x 2' tank!? That's like wiping before you poop it don't make any darn sense! No experience is needed to see how silly that is.

I do understand it was a child that initially asked and for a 10 year old it was not a silly question.
Coral Catsharks max out at under 2.75 feet, so stop trying to give bad info. If you want the right stuff, study sharks for 10 years like I did, and continue until you've got your answer. BTW, it would need 8*4, roughly 480 gallons.

Current Tank Info: 2000 gallon rounded
sharkkeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2014, 09:37 PM   #58
krj-1168
Registered Member

Honestly I don't trust the minimum tank size recommendations from online websites that sale sharks. As most tend to be way too small - and at best are only suited for keeping juveniles of those species.

The true minimums for the adult benthic sharks are usually at least 2.5-3 times greater than these "recommendations".

Here's a better guide of the minimum tank/pond size for benthic sharks, IMO.

Small Catsharks like the Izu Catshark (maximum length of ~16 inches) can be bred in a standard 180 gallon tank.

Catsharks like the Coral Catshark (maximum length ~ 28 inches) needs at tank of over 400 gallons to breed in, or live well in for it's entire natural life.

A smaller Hemiscyllidae species like - a PNG Eppie or a Arabian Bamboo (which tend to max out at about 28-30 inches), need at tank or pond with of at least 400 gallons.

A large Bamboo or Epaulette Shark like the Brown banded Bamboo or the Ocellated Eppie (which max out at ~ 3.5-4 feet) really need a tank or pond that is at least 750 gallons(900-1,000 gallons would be better), to live well for their entire lives.

krj-1168 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banded carpet sharks, catshark, eppies, min tank size, sharks