Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/02/2014, 12:24 AM   #1
Elise1954
Registered Member

Exclamation New here! Help for 220 Shark tank!

Hello!

I just invested in a 220 Gallon tank for a cat shark. Help!

I have NOT yet purchased my shark pup, and want this VERY tank to last him to maturity. I have heard this size tank is sufficient for two sharks however, I have also heard it is just large enough for one. Does anyone have any opinions or advice for me?

Also, I know they are not active and are very light sensitive...
What is the PROPER set up? I am located in Atlanta GA and would like to find someone to help me maintain my set up and get it going initially.

I am an animal behaviorist and have always found sharks captivating and simply stunning. I am NOT looking to endanger a shark due to non experience, ignorance or negligence and will not go forward with it if I feel like self educating isn't working or I lack knowledge. I have found our supplier but want to make sure I have everything perfect for my SW friend.

Any advice on set up is appreciated. I am clueless as far as sump system or skimmer. I know this will be an expensive hobby and don't intend to half do it.

HELP!

--Lost Shark Girl

Elise1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2014, 12:57 AM   #2
shelby28
Registered Member

lol troll?

shelby28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2014, 01:09 AM   #3
Planefanatic
Registered Member

Hello! I live here in largo fl. I love sharks as well.

Cat sharks can grow up to 3 feet. The best setup would be a cylinder tank or a standard tank, but with rounded sides with a center overflow. Sharks can bruise their snout on the blunt corners, and if they constantly bump into stuff it will stress them out.

A 220 will be big enough but I would recomend only putting one in there, as with rock will take up space. As for light they are nocturnal and like low light. A good cave for him would be good. Make sure if you use live rock be sure to use rock putty from the LFS. Cat sharks can bulldoze the whole tank. They are very strong and do dig a bit. So with that said build your rock structure first, and then put in the sand. Also about sand..don't use a very course sand. They do have tough skin but their under belly's are soft and will get a rash/chaffe with course sand.

The can be great tank mates/buddies with you. I have had a couple in the past. All are still alive and in very large tanks now. I was able to hand feed all of mine. It can be a bit tricky to get them to eat sometimes.

Planefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2014, 03:47 PM   #4
fishhuman
Registered Member

In my experience telling someone they can't get the fish they want never works, they will get it anyway; I personally believe in this size tank you should not have sharks. My reason is that the smallest readily available shark is the coral catshark they get 26 inches correct me if I am wrong but a 220 is 24 inches a good pool to follow when buying a shark tank is for benthic sharks( cat and bamboo) the tank should be 3 times as long and 1.5 times as wide. If you truly want a shark a cheaper option is to get a stock pond they are large enough. If you have to get a shark and already have the 220 then a coral cat is best, just remember as responsible aquarists we try to do what's best for the fish not us

fishhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2014, 05:39 PM   #5
maddmaxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby28 View Post
lol troll?
Def a troll...!!!

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2014, 10:26 PM   #6
krj-1168
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello!

I just invested in a 220 Gallon tank for a cat shark. Help!

I have NOT yet purchased my shark pup, and want this VERY tank to last him to maturity. I have heard this size tank is sufficient for two sharks however, I have also heard it is just large enough for one. Does anyone have any opinions or advice for me?
Honestly it will all depend on what kind of "cat shark" you get.

For example there are few cool water species of catsharks which stay small enough - to actually breed in a 220 gallon tank(depending of course on the tank's actual dimensions). Such as the Izu Catshark - which only grows to 16 inches. It is small enough to keep a trio in a 220 gallon tank.

Most of the more common tropical species will out grow a 220 gallon tank. It's really just a matter of how soon. Still the smallest tropical catshark - that I know of is the Bali Catshark (Atelomycterus baliensis), which grows to ~19-20 inches. While you would be able to keep a trio of this species in a 220 gallon until maturity - ultimately you will need a slightly larger tank/pond (about least 300 gallons). The other better known species of Atelomycterus - would also be good choices.

The more common bamboo and epaulette sharks will all out grow the 220 gallon before they reach maturity. With a 220 gallon tank - you really want to avoid the largest species - the Brown Banded Bamboo(Chiloscyllium punctatum) and Ocellated Epaulette(Hemiscyllium ocellatum) - as these species will out grow your tank in about 2 years.

But I've also heard of many aquarists who will use smaller tanks as "grow out" tanks - then move the sharks to a larger tank/pond as they get bigger. So if it's really your dream to own a benthic shark or a small group of sharks - don't let the so-called "shark police" stop you.

Unread 07/24/2014, 11:08 PM   #7
Heathcoot
Registered Member

For long term I would say no to this tank reason you smallest shark will be half as long as your tank and will deff proly be as wide as your tank short term maybe 2 years but would highly recommend not buying because you will find some one to take these critters which deserve a much larger aquarium for health

Heathcoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2014, 12:58 AM   #8
SwampyBill
Registered Member

Let the Atlanta Aquarium raise it...

Current Tank Info: 120 gal Vizio
SwampyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2014, 01:08 AM   #9
krj-1168
Registered Member

Quote:
For long term I would say no to this tank reason you smallest shark will be half as long as your tank and will deff proly be as wide as your tank short term maybe 2 years but would highly recommend not buying because you will find some one to take these critters which deserve a much larger aquarium for health

I really do find SO funny when clueless people who obviously have no idea what they are talking - start acting as "Shark Police". This person is asking for sound realistic advice - not to be preached or told they can't do it by the so-called "Shark Police"

Usually a 220 gallon is at least 72 inches long, and 24 inches wide. And depend on the exact dimensions of the tank in question it could be longer or wider.

The smallest catshark available to home aquarists is the Izu Catshark - at 16 inches (maximum length). There are several other species available which are no more than 24 inches (Australian Marbled Cats, Bali Cats, Cloudy Cats & Chain Cats to name a few).

This means - that the 220 gallon tank would have a length which is 4.5 times the maximum length of the smallest shark available. And the 220 gallon tank would have a width which is about 1.5 times the maximum length of the smallest shark. Which is enough to allow this shark to live it's entire life in this tank. In fact it would be possible to breed these sharks(Izu Catsharks) in a 220gallon tank.

In addition - a 220 gallon would be a great grow out tank for larger, better known species of benthic shark(like many of the smaller Bamboo and Epaulette Sharks). Yes - a larger tank-pond would be required to keep these sharks for life. But then many of the experienced shark aquarists I know use "grow out" tanks/ponds to raise their pups and juveniles in.

Quote:
Any advice on set up is appreciated. I am clueless as far as sump system or skimmer.
First off it's best to use live sand and live rock in the aquarium. The live sand - needs to be of a very fine (sugar like) grade. The live rock can be used to help build a place for the sharks to hide during the daytime. Also some macro algae or marine plants are also good as well - as they will help with the biological filtration and add a bit of natural décor to the tank. A protein Skimmer is a must, and it should be rated at twice the size for the tank it's going one - in this case rated for at least 440 gallons. Some the best filtration set-ups tend to use a combination of biological and mechanical filtration.
In addition if you go with a cool water species - such as the Izu Catshark - you will need a chiller, to help keep the tank temperature cool enough.

Last edited by krj-1168; 07/25/2014 at 01:29 AM.
krj-1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2014, 04:13 PM   #10
krj-1168
Registered Member

Some the best advice I can give - is that before you go out and buy a shark from your LFS. DO your research. See what species you can get hold of, what are their requirements, how large do they get, etc. There are several books, magazine articles on keeping sharks in home aquaria to read. As well as talk to several private shark aquarists - who have excellent track records, if you are able to. Or since you live in Atlanta, you could even talk to the staff at the Georgia Aquarium.

Also when setting up a tank for keeping sharks - it best that it be set-up and running for 6 months or more, so that the system is very stable. Basically it would also mean that the shark or sharks would be the one of last fishes introduced to your tank.

Unread 07/25/2014, 06:35 PM   #11
maddmaxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krj-1168 View Post

I really do find SO funny when clueless people who obviously have no idea what they are talking - start acting as "Shark Police". This person is asking for sound realistic advice - not to be preached or told they can't do it by the so-called "Shark Police"
uhhh did you realize this person hasnt posted anything else since this post???

Unread 07/25/2014, 06:38 PM   #12
maddmaxx
Registered Member

and another thing...no fish that is 16" should ever be in a tank that is only 72" long..!!!

(assuming they were talking about a standard 72x24x30 220g tank. which is fair to assume since they didnt mention dimensions)

Unread 07/25/2014, 06:49 PM   #13
Bernie21
Registered Member

read Scott Michael's Sharks & Rays. it has a ton of information for the aquarist about filtration, tank size, setup, tank mates & suitable species, health & feeding. This hobby, whether a reef tank, shark tank or whatever requires Alot patience, knowledge & experience, so just asking here isn't going to save you from all that. Take the time to read & research. that doesn't mean it can't be done, simply that you should take a few steps back. Good luck w your tank & keep us posted w progress.

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2014, 07:13 PM   #14
krj-1168
Registered Member

Quote:
and another thing...no fish that is 16" should ever be in a tank that is only 72" long..!!!
I would completely agree - IF we were talking about an active species of shark. Such as smooth hound, which spends most it's time swimming.

But we aren't. Benthic sharks don't spend most of their time swimming. They spend the vast majority of their time laying on the bottom of the tank. They are usually only active at night or during feeding time. Which is why the smaller benthic species are well suited for home aquaria.

Quote:
read Scott Michael's Sharks & Rays. it has a ton of information for the aquarist about filtration, tank size, setup, tank mates & suitable species, health & feeding.
Scott Michael's Aquarium Sharks & Rays - is an nice basic introduction book. But it does have some flaws. Such as his minimum tank size suggestions are best suited for keeping juveniles of those species - not to keep that species in for it's entire life.

Last edited by krj-1168; 07/25/2014 at 07:29 PM.
krj-1168 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
220g, catshark, setup, shark tank