Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2018, 05:40 AM   #1351
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by janci View Post
The boredom of a well faring reef tank... Reef goals!
I have no idea what you meant by "Reef goals".

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2018, 07:01 AM   #1352
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
I have no idea what you meant by "Reef goals".

I believe he means it’s everyone’s goal to have a successful grown out tank going well. Where now boredom sets in a bit with it since there isn’t much tinkering left to do.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2018, 07:11 PM   #1353
Rogerga
Registered Member

Wow what a fantastic journey and well documented @discus . Congratulations

Rogerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 04:24 PM   #1354
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
I believe he means it’s everyone’s goal to have a successful grown out tank going well. Where now boredom sets in a bit with it since there isn’t much tinkering left to do.
Thanks for your interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerga View Post
Wow what a fantastic journey and well documented @discus . Congratulations
Thanks.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 10/15/2018, 04:35 PM   #1355
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancelot View Post
It’s hammer time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. It is hammer time. Hammer is a wonderful tool especially if it is used in conjunction with a screw driver.

IMG_5256

P1120113

P1120114

P1120115

P1120116

P1120117

P1120118

P1120120

Unread 10/15/2018, 05:26 PM   #1356
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wow! So to quote a famous Quentin Tarantino movie, you went medieval on your tanks ***!!
You are a stone cold steward of that tank or yours Bulent.
A proficient, and talented stone cold steward!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 07:29 PM   #1357
biodegraded
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree. It is hammer time. Hammer is a wonderful tool especially if it is used in conjunction with a screw driver.

IMG_5256

Ummmm - yikes! If the aquarium rescape doesn't work out, you still have a promising future as an inquisitor...

biodegraded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 09:50 PM   #1358
lanshark
It's Landshark, aka SNL

Great read and congrats on all the success....

I seem to be reading quite a few threads where alkalinity is being kept low 7.xx or even 6.xx dkh? Why not target natural sea water alkalinity? What is your thinking?

Also, see you like Millepora Do you have any special care requirements for the mille’s as some folk struggle with that sub-species of Acropora?

Cheers!

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef 66"x24"x22", 20g Sump/refugium 20g In-line Grow Out tank
lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 04:27 PM   #1359
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanshark View Post
Great read and congrats on all the success....

I seem to be reading quite a few threads where alkalinity is being kept low 7.xx or even 6.xx dkh? Why not target natural sea water alkalinity? What is your thinking?

Also, see you like Millepora Do you have any special care requirements for the mille’s as some folk struggle with that sub-species of Acropora?

Cheers!

Thank you.

I usually keep my alkalinity well below 7 dKH (in average about 6.4 dKH). My understanding is that this sort of reading is consistent with alkalinity readings in the ocean.Through experimentation with different alkalinity levels, typically between 6-9 dKH, over the years, I noticed that my corals are in their happiest state of health when alkalinity is below 7 dKH. This level does not even impede coral growth as you can see from various pictures I posted in my tank thread.

In my experience, Acropora millepora requires a lot of light and flow to flourish. If growth is stunted, it is most likely due to lack of these parameters. They also seem quite fragile. In my tank, historically, they are one of the first (along with Acropora yongei) to show ailment when things go in pair shape. For example, one of the most colourful milleporas in my tank could not handle my "medieval" practices.

P1120126

Unread 10/17/2018, 05:19 PM   #1360
lanshark
It's Landshark, aka SNL

Great info ... I also note my SPS seem happy with great PE even when alkalinity drifts down to 7.5 dkh range. I just start buffering up towards 8-8.5 dkh based on reading forums 🤫 and really no other good reason ... Think I might experiment a bit...

Cheers!

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef 66"x24"x22", 20g Sump/refugium 20g In-line Grow Out tank
lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 05:29 PM   #1361
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanshark View Post
Great info ... I also note my SPS seem happy with great PE even when alkalinity drifts down to 7.5 dkh range. I just start buffering up towards 8-8.5 dkh based on reading forums 🤫 and really no other good reason ... Think I might experiment a bit...

Cheers!
I do not worry about low alkalinity, which occasionally drops down to 5.4 dKH due to failure in my dose, because I use a kalkstirrer, which maintains pH levels at fairly high level (typically between 7.9 and 8.2). Without it, lower alkalinity has no leverage on pH as its buffering capacity becomes limited below 7 dKH. It is for this reason that I believe that most believe keep their alkalinity at 8 dKH or above.

Unread 10/17/2018, 05:36 PM   #1362
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Wow! So to quote a famous Quentin Tarantino movie, you went medieval on your tanks ***!!
You are a stone cold steward of that tank or yours Bulent.
A proficient, and talented stone cold steward!
Thanks for your compliment Matt. I really like the quote.

When I looked at the particular photo exhibiting my tools afterwards, I really felt awkward about it subconsciously. It did not feel ethical somewhat.

Unread 10/25/2018, 04:20 PM   #1363
Mav2
Registered Member

You have absolutely killed me............i'm on holiday this week and my to-do list was considerable.....nothing was done!

I started reading your thread at 1.00pm and have only just finished!!!!!

Your attention to detail and lack of complacency is incredible. Thanks for the tank; thanks for the thread and thanks for providing the inspiration for my new project.

180 Gallon Foam Rockwall ...48" x 30" x 24"....see my homepage for build thread. T5 and LED Lighting, Sump(overflow standpipe), Turbofloater SL 1000 skimmer. Eheim 1262 return, 2X Tunze 6085's , 2x Tunze 6055

Current Tank Info: Red sea reefer 250
Mav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2018, 10:46 PM   #1364
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:

IMG_5256

P1120113

P1120114

P1120115

P1120116

P1120117

P1120118

P1120120
OMG. No way!!! Beautiful colonies!

But why?

AkoAung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2018, 11:41 PM   #1365
Alex Costa
Registered Member

It's time for a brand new FTS....I think....I just think....

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2018, 04:20 AM   #1366
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkoAung View Post
OMG. No way!!! Beautiful colonies!

But why?
Reason 1- Deforestation (all the unwanted growth, such as over spreading M. setosa, and undesirable corals, such as mushrooms and M. digitata, were removed).

Reason 2- Prevention of so-called "old tank syndrome" (2/3 of sand bed was removed and replaced with new one, and all the rocks were scrubbed and rinsed to remove detritus and vermetid snails, where necessary).

Reason 3- Rescaping (Acropora colonies that have enjoyed rampant growth (either due to high light or high flow or both) are repositioned to slightly lower light places. Other Acropora colonies that have not shown their full potential so far took their place. This may also result in uncovering "real estate" on live rock that was overshadowed previously. This may then means that new forestation can take place. Furthermore, a change of scenery is as good as a rest.

This is a biennial ritual that ensures that not only my reef stays healthy in long term, but also any complacency on my part can be interrupted.

Unread 10/27/2018, 04:28 AM   #1367
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav2 View Post
You have absolutely killed me............i'm on holiday this week and my to-do list was considerable.....nothing was done!

I started reading your thread at 1.00pm and have only just finished!!!!!

Your attention to detail and lack of complacency is incredible. Thanks for the tank; thanks for the thread and thanks for providing the inspiration for my new project.
Thanks for reading my thread and your compliment. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
It's time for a brand new FTS....I think....I just think....
It is almost time, but not just yet, Alex. I have quite a lot of setosa sub-colonies and frags to clear from the sand bed. I also need to "plant" new frags onto recently created "real estate", which I created as a result of rescaping. Hopefully, it won't be long. This is a hard work when you don't have enough length and depth in your tank. It is a constant struggle.

Unread 11/04/2018, 06:17 AM   #1368
janci
Registered Member

Those were some serious measures to modify the scape and colony growth.
I am very curious to see how the tank is looking now.

janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2018, 07:54 PM   #1369
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Bulent,
I started dosing TM Reef Actif today.
I think my tank needs some ..... "shake".
Are you still using it? What's your impressions about it?
Best regards,
Alex

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Unread 11/26/2018, 06:02 AM   #1370
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
Bulent,
I started dosing TM Reef Actif today.
I think my tank needs some ..... "shake".
Are you still using it? What's your impressions about it?
Best regards,
Alex
Hi Alex,

Yes, I am. I like the product and its rationale. I am committed to use it continuously.

Theoretically, the product should reduce inorganic phosphates, meaning that I should record reduction in PO4 using my test kit. I do not record such reduction. I do not know why. A possible explanation is not fixing the daily feeding amount. It varies from day to day. That said, I observe increased coral growth, which I can attribute to this product. I have a note on my Facebook page on TM Reef Actif in which I recorded my observations on its use for a period of time.

I have recently started to use the recommended dose once a week. Previously, I used to dose just over the half of the recommended dose once a week.

Cheers

Bulent

Unread 11/26/2018, 05:04 PM   #1371
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Alex,

Yes, I am. I like the product and its rationale. I am committed to use it continuously.

Theoretically, the product should reduce inorganic phosphates, meaning that I should record reduction in PO4 using my test kit. I do not record such reduction. I do not know why. A possible explanation is not fixing the daily feeding amount. It varies from day to day. That said, I observe increased coral growth, which I can attribute to this product. I have a note on my Facebook page on TM Reef Actif in which I recorded my observations on its use for a period of time.

I have recently started to use the recommended dose once a week. Previously, I used to dose just over the half of the recommended dose once a week.

Cheers

Bulent
Did you note any changes in the aspect of the substract......or in the detritus over the tank in general?

Unread 11/26/2018, 05:32 PM   #1372
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Bulent, another question for you.. will/would you give Coral Balance a try?
My understanding is that Coral Balance would have a stronger effect on po4 reduction than reef active. But I know the two products are purported to have similar effects in the reef...

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 11/27/2018, 06:13 AM   #1373
Big E
Registered Member

My take on a P04 spike---

I have been using Bacto balance on my frag tank for one year now. Probably not news to you Bulent, but the product is great for steady state. It will keep the ratio balanced well, but if it gets knocked out of balance short term you have to intervene.

I used standard GFO to do this.............once my p04 gets back to under .10 the Bacto balance will keep the ratio intact again. I ran GFO for about 4 days and took it offline..............it's been months since and I've kept the same levels and ratios for the whole year.

I'm only dosing .3 mls a day for a 60g total volume system.

From my experience to date this is not a product to knock down high levels of either but great for maintaining standard levels that are widely used on most successful Acro systems.

For the past year my levels have kept steady---

P04- .05-.08ppm
No3- 5.0-10.0ppm

I don't think anyone needs to go down the road with actif or other products to band aid this. There just needs to be short term intervention.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2018, 06:34 AM   #1374
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
My take on a P04 spike---

I have been using Bacto balance on my frag tank for one year now. Probably not news to you Bulent, but the product is great for steady state. It will keep the ratio balanced well, but if it gets knocked out of balance short term you have to intervene.

I used standard GFO to do this.............once my p04 gets back to under .10 the Bacto balance will keep the ratio intact again. I ran GFO for about 4 days and took it offline..............it's been months since and I've kept the same levels and ratios for the whole year.

I'm only dosing .3 mls a day for a 60g total volume system.

From my experience to date this is not a product to knock down high levels of either but great for maintaining standard levels that are widely used on most successful Acro systems.

For the past year my levels have kept steady---

P04- .05-.08ppm
No3- 5.0-10.0ppm

I don't think anyone needs to go down the road with actif or other products to band aid this. There just needs to be short term intervention.
Yep. Sage advice.
I’ve never used bacto balance but once again, I am considering it.. is it a liquid or powder and if liquid, could it be used with a dosing pump?

Unread 11/27/2018, 08:56 AM   #1375
Big E
Registered Member

Hi Matt,

It's a liquid.........I use less than a 1ml a day so in my case it has to be hand dosed. I never used more than .7 and that was at start up.

I'm not sure I would trust a doser being accurate unless you would be dosing at least 5mls per dose.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote