Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:30 PM   #1
blackthunda77
Registered Member

Brightwell iodion dosage help

I got my test results back from triton and my iodine levels were basically non existent. 0 ug/l. It's supposed to be around 60 ug/l.

Converting ug/l to ppm, 60ug/l converts to 0.06ppm

Iodion says 1ml raises iodine by 4.0ppm in one gallon of water. So if I divide 4.0 by 200 gals I get 0.02. So 1 ml will get my tank to 0.02ppm and 3ml should get it up to 0.06ppm.

Are my calculations correct? Am I missing something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

*blackthunda stands for a black Mistubishi 3000GT with black rims I used to own. Don't get any funny ideas!

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal custom tank with dual corner overflows, 80 gal custom sump/refugium, Neptune Apex controller, Dual Lumenmax Elite reflectors with 250 Radiums, SWC 160 Cone Skimmer, 2x Jebao WP-25....and some other stuff.
blackthunda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 09:46 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

If you are sure that the water volume is 200g, then 3 ml should be right. I'd try 1 ml, myself, being cautious. For what it's worth, a lot of people have started and stopped, or never started, dosing iodine, without any problems. Here's more:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

Do you have an iodine kit? If not, I would skip the dosing.

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:47 PM   #3
blackthunda77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
If you are sure that the water volume is 200g, then 3 ml should be right. I'd try 1 ml, myself, being cautious. For what it's worth, a lot of people have started and stopped, or never started, dosing iodine, without any problems. Here's more:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

Do you have an iodine kit? If not, I would skip the dosing.
I had the testing done by triton icp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

*blackthunda stands for a black Mistubishi 3000GT with black rims I used to own. Don't get any funny ideas!

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal custom tank with dual corner overflows, 80 gal custom sump/refugium, Neptune Apex controller, Dual Lumenmax Elite reflectors with 250 Radiums, SWC 160 Cone Skimmer, 2x Jebao WP-25....and some other stuff.
blackthunda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 11:02 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

I wouldn't trust the Triton results for trace elements. Their methodology doesn't appear to be very accurate in that range. There's some reading if you're interested. Iodine also can be depleted from the water column fairly quickly, so if you want to keep the iodine level up, you probably will need a kit to keep the cost down.