Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2015, 04:49 PM   #2326
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofer View Post
In some pet shops they actually use HP to raise oxygen levels in the tank so don't worry that u will nuke ur tank.
Adding hydrogen peroxide to raise the oxygen level is dangerous and unlikely to be of much value. Hydrogen peroxide can kill organisms, including burning fishes' gills, so I would be very careful about adding it to a running tank. It should kill algae, if enough is used.

Unread 02/17/2015, 01:43 PM   #2327
redoreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Adding hydrogen peroxide to raise the oxygen level is dangerous and unlikely to be of much value. Hydrogen peroxide can kill organisms, including burning fishes' gills, so I would be very careful about adding it to a running tank. It should kill algae, if enough is used.
I would never add it to my tank. I would just dip/spray the rocks that have the algae on it in a different bucket then rinse off with water if the algaefix does not work which is coming in today

redoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 01:48 PM   #2328
DrexelLake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoreef View Post
I would never add it to my tank. I would just dip/spray the rocks that have the algae on it in a different bucket then rinse off with water if the algaefix does not work which is coming in today
That's what I do too. Works great. Unless your very careless you won't harm but the algae and maybe a few beneficial bacteria that you won't even notice. It's like chocolate, moderation.

DrexelLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 09:06 AM   #2329
redoreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexelLake View Post
That's what I do too. Works great. Unless your very careless you won't harm but the algae and maybe a few beneficial bacteria that you won't even notice. It's like chocolate, moderation.
Would you rather spray your whole rock with a spray bottle or just pour it on the spots you cannot get the algae off? I think personally I'd spray the whole rock and let it set for a little then rinse.

I did my first does of algaefix last night. Fingers crossed.

Unread 02/18/2015, 09:10 AM   #2330
DrexelLake
Registered Member

Quote:
Would you rather spray your whole rock with a spray bottle or just pour it on the spots you cannot get the algae off? I think personally I'd spray the whole rock and let it set for a little then rinse.

I did my first does of algaefix last night. Fingers crossed.
I use a droppper and only drop it on the GHA. This way you're not killing anything else on your live rock. It will get rid of a host of beneficial animals and bacteria.

Unread 02/18/2015, 09:19 AM   #2331
redoreef
Registered Member

Quote:
I use a droppper and only drop it on the GHA. This way you're not killing anything else on your live rock. It will get rid of a host of beneficial animals and bacteria.
Turkey baster or something smaller?

Unread 02/18/2015, 09:23 AM   #2332
DrexelLake
Registered Member

Quote:
Turkey baster or something smaller?
I use a 4ml dropper (Ebay $3 for 12), but you may be able to use a turkey baster depending on how close your corals are to your GHA.

Unread 02/18/2015, 12:32 PM   #2333
redoreef
Registered Member

Quote:
I use a 4ml dropper (Ebay $3 for 12), but you may be able to use a turkey baster depending on how close your corals are to your GHA.
I have 0 GHA on my corals, just some GHA around the Kenya trees, which they can die for all i care....lol.

Unread 02/18/2015, 07:20 PM   #2334
redoreef
Registered Member

after one dose of AlgaeFix Marine yesterday, I already can see it working, hopefully it continues

Unread 02/24/2015, 10:40 PM   #2335
lespaul339
Reefer

I'm thinking about using this in my 150 gallon. My tank is 5 months old and my rocks are 95 percent covered in green hair algae. I just can't seem to win this battle. I run GFO but it doesn't even seem to make a dent in the stuff. It's from my rocks leaching phosphate. I'm hoping that if I try this and run GFO afterwords, that the GFO will be able to do it's job better. I'm tired of the maintenance I need to do on a daily basis to make sure the GHA doesn't choke out my corals. I'm not going to read through 100 pages of posts, have there been any negative side effects to using algae fix?

Current Tank Info: 60x24x24 150 gallon reef, 55 gallon sump.
lespaul339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 03:40 PM   #2336
hkgar
Registered Member

No noted side effects but hit and miss results. I did about 10 doses with no results and am now trying high mag levels with Kent Tech M

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 10:37 AM   #2337
lespaul339
Reefer

Right on thanks. I have it ordered along with a new box of reef crystals and it will be showing up tomorrow. I'll post some before and after pics and post my updates in this thread. Hopefully it works for me because I don't know what I'll do if it doesn't. After looking through about the first 30 pages I believe I have the kind of hair algae it seems to be working on but I guess I will find out.

Unread 02/28/2015, 12:32 PM   #2338
redoreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul339 View Post
I'm thinking about using this in my 150 gallon. My tank is 5 months old and my rocks are 95 percent covered in green hair algae. I just can't seem to win this battle. I run GFO but it doesn't even seem to make a dent in the stuff. It's from my rocks leaching phosphate. I'm hoping that if I try this and run GFO afterwords, that the GFO will be able to do it's job better. I'm tired of the maintenance I need to do on a daily basis to make sure the GHA doesn't choke out my corals. I'm not going to read through 100 pages of posts, have there been any negative side effects to using algae fix?
I have been using it on my 29 gallom biocube for the past week. You can see the pic on the last page, I'll be posting the new pic tonight. It has worked very well this past week.

Unread 03/03/2015, 10:12 AM   #2339
lespaul339
Reefer

Is it still working on your tank? I did my second dose last night and so far I think it's working. I did notice less algae on the front of my glass and the tank looks a little cleaner. I think the GHA is looking a little stressed. It's hard to tell since I'm only on my second dose but I do believe it's working.

Unread 03/06/2015, 04:37 PM   #2340
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Does API Marine Algae Fix Kill Red Dictyota?

How good is it at Killing Regular Hair Algae?

Has anybody noticed any Negative Affects from this Product?

What is in it?

Peroxide?

I have mostly Zoanthids so I am concerned mostly with my Zoanthids.

I would rather not use Chemicals.

If I buy Snails will they eat it?

Last edited by that Fish Guy; 03/06/2015 at 04:44 PM.
that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 05:52 PM   #2341
bertoni
RC Mod

You might get luck and find a snail to eat the algae in your tank, but that's generally not what happens. There are lots of species of algae, so I think it'll be hard to predict what happens in your system, but it has a good chance of killing the hair algae. I don't remember any reports on Dictyota.

Unread 03/09/2015, 05:56 PM   #2342
holdyourlight
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalAngel View Post
There is no difference between AlgaeFix and AlgaeFix Marine......

"Bob you can use the pondcare algaefix in your marine aquarium as they are at the same concentrations. However due to different directions we usually prefer if you use the designated product for its particular application.

If you have any other questions or wish to discuss this further, please email back or give us a call at 1-800-847-0659.

Best Regards,

Nathan Fekula
Technical Service and Research
Mars Fishcare "

I have been using the Pond AlgaeFix in my 300g FO tank for months...no problems and no algae!
Just double checking to make sure this is still the case? Pond AlgaeFix still the same formula as marine?

holdyourlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2015, 07:49 PM   #2343
bertoni
RC Mod

Yes, it's about the same. The labeling is different, and I'd be careful to use the dosing rate for marine systems, if there's a difference. I haven't needed to use this product, so I don't know the details.

Unread 03/10/2015, 02:04 PM   #2344
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Hi all,
I have been battling GHA since early January. I started running GFO, I started dosing Prodibio, I performed more water changes, vacuumed the sand bed....etc. I seemed to be holding it back but not getting rid of it. So I broke down and dosed some AlgaeFix Marine. First dose was on Feb 24 and I have dosed 5 times in total. Over the past 3-4 days, I have noticed the GHA literally melting away. I am hoping it will be totally gone in the next couple of doses!

My question is - when should I stop using the product? I am hoping my other measures will keep it from re-appearing.

Thanks!

Unread 03/10/2015, 06:47 PM   #2345
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd keep dosing until there were no more visible traces, and then stop. The alga probably won't return.

Unread 03/10/2015, 08:28 PM   #2346
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I'd keep dosing until there were no more visible traces, and then stop. The alga probably won't return.
Thanks!

Unread 03/11/2015, 05:11 PM   #2347
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome!

Unread 03/11/2015, 08:34 PM   #2348
mathman7728
Registered Member

i've used algefix marine for a hair algae problem and it did work. interestingly i also used it for dinos (in combination with no MH but actinic only for 6hrs a day for 5 days) and it worked for that too…..

mathman7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2015, 10:15 PM   #2349
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cox View Post
Hi all,
I have been battling GHA since early January. I started running GFO, I started dosing Prodibio, I performed more water changes, vacuumed the sand bed....etc. I seemed to be holding it back but not getting rid of it. So I broke down and dosed some AlgaeFix Marine. First dose was on Feb 24 and I have dosed 5 times in total. Over the past 3-4 days, I have noticed the GHA literally melting away. I am hoping it will be totally gone in the next couple of doses!

My question is - when should I stop using the product? I am hoping my other measures will keep it from re-appearing.

Thanks!
Wow.

I like your results.

How often do you Dose?

Is it Daily?

Are you following the Instructions on the Bottle?

I just ordered some!

Unread 03/11/2015, 10:21 PM   #2350
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathman7728 View Post
i've used algefix marine for a hair algae problem and it did work. interestingly i also used it for dinos (in combination with no MH but actinic only for 6hrs a day for 5 days) and it worked for that too…..
I have some Hair Algae in my SPS Tank.

But I am concerned as SPS are Sensitive Corals.

I already ordered AlgaeFix.

Going to take Baby Steps as I am Paranoid.

Small 10 Gallon Frag Tank First.

Should I be concerned with SPS?

Or is this Product Totally Safe?

What are the Ingredients?

Is it it just Peroxide?

Tags
ganjero