Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2009, 09:00 AM   #1401
cabezon2469
Moved On

Hi, my name is Shaw. I have recently started in the salt world after having FW tanks for 5-6 years. I had a bad case of MTS, which my wife cured so now I am down to two 55 gallon tanks. I have a sump with bio balls (now I hear that I should replace with LR).

Since I live near the beach, I used a 5gal bucket of wild caught sand. I also used "Florida rock" as base and bought some LR from a fellow breaking down his tank. it had some coral on it, so i now have a reef. i bought a leather frag, and just got a xenia frag from another member here. I have a 2X96 watt CF light and a 2X24w t-5. I ordered a 10K bulb for the CF but it came in defective so everything is actinic right now.
I have 2 damsels, 2 clowns and a hippo tang for fish. a serpent star, and a bunch of hermits and snails. I lost a snail, I think it was a turbo (it came with the tank) to the powerhead. the blue leg hermit came with the LR, and I have many white legged hermits that came from the wild. one big one ate a little one so the big one went to the sump with the chaeto and 24w t-5.

cabezon2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 12:08 PM   #1402
Aquarist007
Registered Member

wow look at all the new members to RC. Has water keeper come back or something
Must be the great welcome avitar

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 12:10 PM   #1403
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam720 View Post
Hi RC, my name is sam720. I have been in the hobby for almost 10 yrs. and still feel like I have a mile to go. I currently have a 150 reef tank up and running. This has been up for almost a year and a half. It is a mixed tank with the rarest and hardest to get montipora's. I do have another tank in storage that I will be setting up when I move. That's why I have the name that I do. Just found out about this site. Hoping to learn more. sam720

I think you will be able to teach us a few things Sam

How about sharing some pictures on here

To Reef Central

Be sure to check out the sps corals forum

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 12/07/2009, 12:12 PM   #1404
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.I View Post
hello my name is Gabriel I age of 32 years and I have this hobby for three years.have two tanks holding 90 gallons each wich for now with freshwater.and I decided that one of them to make into a marine aquarium.before I built one skimmer, overflow, follow the lamp and setup.
Suggest you start your own build thread Gabriel. That way questions you ask and the answers will remain in view of other reefers. Personal posts tend to get lost from public view on long thread like this one.

To Reef Central

Unread 12/07/2009, 12:14 PM   #1405
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
wow look at all the new members to RC. Has water keeper come back or something
Must be the great welcome avitar

To Reef Central
unfortunately not scott, i do miss the fella, its just not the same here without him

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 12:15 PM   #1406
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep42031 View Post
Damn I don't know bout the salt mixer...all I do is get saltwater from a good pet store. N for the sand it was.in a bag. They said it has all the. Nutrients to start ur tank, live sand. I have 20 pounds of LR rock. Before I added anything I had my water cycle for like a month, then got all my inverts first then, a week later I got my fishes. LOL I had 2 blennys n they were fighting n found one if them died. Sucks...

Probably more important was to have asked you what size of tank you have

Unread 12/07/2009, 12:16 PM   #1407
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezon2469 View Post
Hi, my name is Shaw. I have recently started in the salt world after having FW tanks for 5-6 years. I had a bad case of MTS, which my wife cured so now I am down to two 55 gallon tanks. I have a sump with bio balls (now I hear that I should replace with LR).

Since I live near the beach, I used a 5gal bucket of wild caught sand. I also used "Florida rock" as base and bought some LR from a fellow breaking down his tank. it had some coral on it, so i now have a reef. i bought a leather frag, and just got a xenia frag from another member here. I have a 2X96 watt CF light and a 2X24w t-5. I ordered a 10K bulb for the CF but it came in defective so everything is actinic right now.
I have 2 damsels, 2 clowns and a hippo tang for fish. a serpent star, and a bunch of hermits and snails. I lost a snail, I think it was a turbo (it came with the tank) to the powerhead. the blue leg hermit came with the LR, and I have many white legged hermits that came from the wild. one big one ate a little one so the big one went to the sump with the chaeto and 24w t-5.

would love to see some pics of your system

To Reef Central

Unread 12/07/2009, 12:17 PM   #1408
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
unfortunately not scott, i do miss the fella, its just not the same here without him

morning or evening to you Michael(is 1300 hrs here)

oh well we still have PaulB

Unread 12/07/2009, 01:22 PM   #1409
filipe saraiva
Registered Member

Hi I'm Filipe Saraiva From Portugal (Lisbon), I am preparing my first saltwater aquarium, which will be 60Liters. I know that is a smaller tank but it has to be this size. Hope I can learn and show my tank

filipe saraiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 01:34 PM   #1410
creep42031
Registered Member

I have a 25 gallon tank... after I know what I'm doing I'm jumping up to a 60 gallon tank

creep42031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 01:36 PM   #1411
cabezon2469
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
would love to see some pics of your system

To Reef Central
thanks.

I'll get some pics soon. I just got my order from Drs F&S which included purple up. so the water is a bit milky right now.

cabezon2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 02:05 PM   #1412
rumble
Registered Member

Hi, my name is Jason, and I'm completely new to reef systems. I grew up with fish tanks, had a 20L freshwater community tank that later became a home to a single piranha, and a 10G brackish figure 8 puffer species tank. I kept a 29G saltwater tank for about 6 years, but have not done anything with aquariums for the past 7-8 years until now. I just bought a 6G Hagen Fluval Edge, and ordered "the package" from tbsaltwater.com, and I'm having fun learning from everyone here.

rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 02:44 PM   #1413
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
oh well we still have PaulB
Yes, but when I find Waterkeeper, I am going with him.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 07:21 PM   #1414
MOB1224
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a 25 gallon tank... after I know what I'm doing I'm jumping up to a 60 gallon tank
The bigger the tank the more stable it is. It is usually better 2 start out big in salt water.

MOB1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 07:29 PM   #1415
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Yes, but when I find Waterkeeper, I am going with him.
wow its been a few years since we have had a sequel to Grumpy Old Men and an even longer time since the Odd Couple

Unread 12/07/2009, 07:30 PM   #1416
creep42031
Registered Member

So jump up to a 60 gallon tank then????

Unread 12/07/2009, 07:31 PM   #1417
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
Hi, my name is Jason, and I'm completely new to reef systems. I grew up with fish tanks, had a 20L freshwater community tank that later became a home to a single piranha, and a 10G brackish figure 8 puffer species tank. I kept a 29G saltwater tank for about 6 years, but have not done anything with aquariums for the past 7-8 years until now. I just bought a 6G Hagen Fluval Edge, and ordered "the package" from tbsaltwater.com, and I'm having fun learning from everyone here.

To Reef Central

don't forget to try the out the nano tank forum

Unread 12/07/2009, 07:34 PM   #1418
creep42031
Registered Member

And how will I be able to transfer all my animals to my tank... what's the process on doing that? Get the filters get the LR n sand n Culver the water fat then throw my fishes in there?

Unread 12/07/2009, 08:43 PM   #1419
Nerd1717
Registered Member

Hey Everyone!

My name is Nick and I just got into this about 2 months ago, and set up a 50 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump/refugium.

The whole thing was DIY, which was a pain to set up but now that its mostly set up and running (with some minor kinks here and there) I love it!

I added 90 lbs of the packaged live sand and 70 lbs of live rock.

I'll admit I rushed some(maybe an understatement) and now have:
3x 4 Stripe Damsles
an Emerald Crab
a Peppermint Shrimp
3x mexican Turbo Snail
a Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby
and an assortment of other smaller snails and about 6-8 hermits

I recently added a couple of coral frags at the advice of my LFS, and am skeptical to see how they do in the coming weeks and months!

Nerd1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2009, 11:05 PM   #1420
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
And how will I be able to transfer all my animals to my tank... what's the process on doing that? Get the filters get the LR n sand n Culver the water fat then throw my fishes in there?
set the new tank up and add the new live rock to it. Let it cycle for three or four weeks. Once it has cycled---when your ammonia and nitrate levels are zero then add the live rock directly from the other tank and the fish etc.
The rock from the smaller tank will not cycle again if it is a direct transfer.

You don't need to spend money on live sand. A dry medium argonite can be seeded by one cup of the live sand from the tank you have set up already

Unread 12/07/2009, 11:08 PM   #1421
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd1717 View Post
Hey Everyone!

My name is Nick and I just got into this about 2 months ago, and set up a 50 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump/refugium.

The whole thing was DIY, which was a pain to set up but now that its mostly set up and running (with some minor kinks here and there) I love it!

I added 90 lbs of the packaged live sand and 70 lbs of live rock.

I'll admit I rushed some(maybe an understatement) and now have:
3x 4 Stripe Damsles
an Emerald Crab
a Peppermint Shrimp
3x mexican Turbo Snail
a Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby
and an assortment of other smaller snails and about 6-8 hermits

I recently added a couple of coral frags at the advice of my LFS, and am skeptical to see how they do in the coming weeks and months!
you might want to consider removing those damsels before you add other fish.Damsels can grow up to be mean sob's to the other inhabitants of the tank. The longer they are in a tank the smarter they get towards being captured.

To Reef Central

Unread 12/08/2009, 11:36 AM   #1422
MNewman
Registered Member

Hello reefheads

Hello from OHIO my name is MNewman

MNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 12:54 PM   #1423
sharky334
Registered Member

Hello from OH-IO as well! I am new to the forums, and glad to have a place to read about reef tanks. I currently have a 46 bowfront. Some corals, a hippo tang, a purple firefish, and one clown fish. Currently battling algae, but getting helpful hints from the forums. Have a 155 bowfront in my garage that was hoping to setup, but need to sell it now :_( Look forward to reading lots more stuff here!

sharky334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 01:37 PM   #1424
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNewman View Post
Hello from OHIO my name is MNewman
well hello back at you

To Reef Central

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 12/08/2009, 01:38 PM   #1425
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky334 View Post
Hello from OH-IO as well! I am new to the forums, and glad to have a place to read about reef tanks. I currently have a 46 bowfront. Some corals, a hippo tang, a purple firefish, and one clown fish. Currently battling algae, but getting helpful hints from the forums. Have a 155 bowfront in my garage that was hoping to setup, but need to sell it now :_( Look forward to reading lots more stuff here!

welcome aboard, the hippo will eventually need a bigger tank as it grows, and its a shame about the 155, that would have been a great tank

To Reef Central

MIKE

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral