Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2016, 10:02 PM   #101
chefbill
Registered Member

To the OP: you never in your life asked for a pay raise? I do X for you, you pay me Y. Your time has a value. Someone else needs something done. Haggling is all around in subtle forms. Salaries, crops, stocks, commodities

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

chefbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 12:40 AM   #102
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefbill View Post
To the OP: you never in your life asked for a pay raise? I do X for you, you pay me Y. Your time has a value. Someone else needs something done. Haggling is all around in subtle forms. Salaries, crops, stocks, commodities

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
He isn't against haggling from what I've gathered. But is against and annoyed with people who ask for the lowest the seller would take right off the get go instead of making an actual offer.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 07:33 AM   #103
CStrickland
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
With respect, much respect, we agree to disagree my friend..

Since you were so nice about it, I'll put in a good word for you with the politburo

I'm going to look at a used car now guys! Putting on my haggle-pants

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 07:53 AM   #104
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CStrickland View Post

Since you were so nice about it, I'll put in a good word for you with the politburo

I'm going to look at a used car now guys! Putting on my haggle-pants
Ooooooooh

What kind of car?

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 08:33 AM   #105
75mixedreef
Registered Member

So what do you do when the price is not specified? I have seen before where people post items for sale and do not have every item priced out. Would you ask for a price on those or just give an offer? Same for if you meet to buy X and you see Y that you would also like to buy. Do you shoot them an offer, or do you ask what they would like to get for it?

Personally I like haggling because many times I'm honestly not sure what it is worth. If I am selling, then I put a price I know is too high but not by too much and expect to negotiate to determine market value. If I'm buying I usually start low and work up. If an item has a fixed price then there is no need for negotiation, everyone should know what it is worth, haggling is just the mechanism we use for items foe which the prices are not as concise.

75mixedreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 11:47 AM   #106
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75mixedreef View Post
So what do you do when the price is not specified? I have seen before where people post items for sale and do not have every item priced out. Would you ask for a price on those or just give an offer? Same for if you meet to buy X and you see Y that you would also like to buy. Do you shoot them an offer, or do you ask what they would like to get for it?

Personally I like haggling because many times I'm honestly not sure what it is worth. If I am selling, then I put a price I know is too high but not by too much and expect to negotiate to determine market value. If I'm buying I usually start low and work up. If an item has a fixed price then there is no need for negotiation, everyone should know what it is worth, haggling is just the mechanism we use for items foe which the prices are not as concise.
This reminds me of the listings that say, "Make offer, NO LOW BALLS!!" So you have no idea what they're looking for and there is a good chance you'll offend them with the first offer you make!

Unread 10/28/2016, 02:43 PM   #107
CStrickland
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Ooooooooh

What kind of car?
This kind!
It's a 4 year old Subaru with 50k. I like subarus a lot and this is one my husband can pretend he's rally racing in.

I haggled 12% off the ask, upgrade to certified used car warranty, and 2% off the interest rate.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4195.jpg (49.5 KB, 9 views)

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 02:45 PM   #108
jrp1588
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CStrickland View Post
This kind!
It's a 4 year old Subaru with 50k. I like subarus a lot and this is one my husband can pretend he's rally racing in.

I haggled 12% off the ask, upgrade to certified used car warranty, and 2% off the interest rate.
I drive an 04 STI. It would be fun to rally if i had more than 2.5" of ground clearance on the front. haha

jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote