Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2018, 08:32 PM   #1
fftfk
Registered Member

Rebirth!

All - I am building a house that has been designed around a 300 gallon peninsula style aquarium. The sump will be in the basement (1 story down) and about 50 feet away. My primary concern with plumbing is noise.

My previous setup used a Herbie style overflow and I was never that happy with it..just couldn't get it dialed in enough to be silent.

Currently I am planning on using acoast to coast overflow with bean animal style plumbing. The drains will be 1 1/2 inch pipe with a 1 inch return. I am planning on having the return loop over the top of the aquarium so that water enters on the end opposite the drain and pushes the water towards the overflow.

Can the secondary drain and emergency drain (0reven all three) be plumbed together to one two inch pipe or does it have to be three separate pipes all the way to the sump?

Are any internal pumps strong enough for for a lower floor sump or do I have to go with an external pump? I was thinking a reefflow gold.

For insurance and code inspection reasons I have to have all the in wall plumbing done by a plumber and I'm having a hard time explaining how this will work to him. He keeps arguing with me about the plumbing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

fftfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 09:57 AM   #2
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
Can the secondary drain and emergency drain (0reven all three) be plumbed together to one two inch pipe or does it have to be three separate pipes all the way to the sump?
Tapatalk
In order for the drain system to work effectively, you'd definitely need to have the main siphon line separate all the way to the sump. Ideally, all 3 would be separate all the way to the sump. If not, you might as well just have two drains instead of 3.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote