Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/28/2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Bofa
Registered Member

How many clownfish can you put in a tank?

A. ocellaris and A. percula...How many Clownfish can I add to my tank? I see stores have like a ton of these together.

Bofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2010, 05:02 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

One pair unless very short term or from same clutch.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

I have 4 false percs together for 18 months in a 90. Tank raised from the same clutch i think makes a big difference. The standard rule of just one pair certainly applies to wild caught. Tank raised just don't exhibit the same behaviors. Mine have yet to pair off and I haven't seen any eggs though they go through the cleaning behaviors.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2010, 09:13 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
Mine have yet to pair off and I haven't seen any eggs though they go through the cleaning behaviors.
When this happens I would expect a change in behavior, and it often happens over night, and often not a pleasant outcome.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 10/30/2010, 09:04 PM   #5
velvetelvis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
I have 4 false percs together for 18 months in a 90. Tank raised from the same clutch i think makes a big difference. The standard rule of just one pair certainly applies to wild caught. Tank raised just don't exhibit the same behaviors. Mine have yet to pair off and I haven't seen any eggs though they go through the cleaning behaviors.
IME, it doesn't matter whether they're WC or CB. For a while I kept four CB pink skunk clownfish (one of the more passive clownfish species), acquired as older juveniles, in a 75. They had no anemone to fight over. They got along until two of them began pairing off, and then the pair began to harass the other two mercilessly until I removed them.

The reason stores are able to keep groups of clownfish together is that these fishes are usually small juveniles. Once those juveniles begin to reach sexual maturity, they'll fight for dominance--and once that's established and they've formed a pair, they'll fight to defend their territory.

Unread 10/31/2010, 01:21 AM   #6
jc16
Registered Member

how about two different species of clownfishes? i currently have two true perculas but want to add another pair of clarkii later on, it is okay? i have a 300g tank

jc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

I'm not sure mine will ever pair up. Tank raised are not the same as wild caught. 18 months is a pretty long time. At this point even if they do pair up, I feel they have been better off in my tank than with the average nemo fish buyer.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Unread 10/31/2010, 07:42 AM   #8
velvetelvis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc16 View Post
how about two different species of clownfishes? i currently have two true perculas but want to add another pair of clarkii later on, it is okay? i have a 300g tank
Clarkii are brutes. They get big and are very territorial and aggressive. Clownfishes from the clarkii complex also aren't as dependent on their hosts as other clownfish complexes and are stronger swimmers, so they're more prone to roaming all over the tank (and attacking other clowns they encounter on the way). Not a good idea.

Unread 10/31/2010, 07:47 AM   #9
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc16 View Post
Very, very, very, very risky. Even in a 300. Clarkii's can get large and very nasty. They also claim rather large territories for a clown fish.

elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2010, 08:10 AM   #10
velvetelvis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegance coral View Post
Very, very, very, very risky. Even in a 300. Clarkii's can get large and very nasty. They also claim rather large territories for a clown fish.
A LSF about an hour from me has a pair of chrysopterus (for those new to clownfishes, not a a clarkii, but a member of the clarkii complex) and a large BTA in a 700G display tank. The female is the size of my hand and the undisputed queen of the entire tank, which she patrols regularly. Even the triggerfish hustle out of her way when they see her coming. The store had briefly tried to house a pair of ocellaris in the same system, but had to remove them soon after for their own safety.

Unread 10/31/2010, 10:20 PM   #11
jc16
Registered Member

okay yea thats what i thought too thanks guys i really like those blue banded clarkii from fiji they are beautiful but i already have a pair of the perculas

jc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 12:33 AM   #12
reefbegood
Registered Member

JUST CLOWNING AROUND!

reefbegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 12:37 AM   #13
reefbegood
Registered Member

Just a 1 pair per tank for real

reefbegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 08:32 AM   #14
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbegood View Post

JUST CLOWNING AROUND!
Those look like all from same clutch, which seems the only way to safely try the multiple clowns gig.
Check Moberts 27 clowns sticky above for an eye popper, but I think she even stated some losses for unknown reasons.

Unread 11/01/2010, 09:01 AM   #15
velvetelvis
Registered Member

I think even if they're from the same clutch, it will eventually implode...my skunks were all from the same clutch.

Unread 11/01/2010, 09:37 AM   #16
ClownNut
Registered Member

4 black/white ocellaris. it takes me over 4 years to put this togather. i started with a 3 years old pair, then i added 4 juvens, the big female rejected one of them right away. over the next year, 2 juven pair up and rejected the smallest juven. now all 4(2 pair) living in 5 big rose. they hang out togather and defend the rose togather. i tried put more juvens. all 4 clowns line up and beat the new juvens to the corner. so i removed the juvens and stop adding more. i always want a big happy family of clown, i guess 4 is my #.
big female:3.5"
big male:2.75-3"
small female:2.5"
small male:1.75-2"
they all have been togather over 2 years now. never fight. united against any new comers.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 12:28 PM   #17
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Do not be mad when I post this, and I am not trying to start a war or anything, but this has to be the single most frequently asked question in this forum. I have no idea how many times it has been asked, discussed and answered over the years.

If you are really interested in an answer, I would recommend checking the FAQ or using the search function.

If you just want to chat, go for it! Not trying to rain on your parade!

Unread 11/01/2010, 09:07 PM   #18
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

I think everyone knows what the rule is. One pair per tank. I think they are looking for people who have been successful breaking the rules so they can do what they want. I bought 4 and its worked out great for a year and a half. If they pair up now and I end up with 2, I was very adequately warned. At this point even the victims likely would have done worse in a tank less well maintained than mine.

Unread 11/01/2010, 09:31 PM   #19
kerusso316
Moved On

The biggest problem is more than one female in a tank. You can do several males. I have a 75 gal. With about 60 fish in it. They are from several different clutches. There are several different species of clowns. There is one female. All others male. No death. Note: When fish are fighting to be the female, death will result. When fish fight to be the dominate male fins get shredded a bit.

kerusso316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 09:50 PM   #20
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

No pics of that 75? I'd like to see that many fish in a 75. Well, normally I wouldn't but you seem to take good care of your fish.

Unread 11/02/2010, 12:07 AM   #21
TDesaulniers
Registered Member

The general rule of thumb is 1 pair per tank. Unless you have an absurd amount of volume, I wouldn't go against the grain and put any more than one pair.

TDesaulniers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 09:09 PM   #22
Outerbank
Registered Member

I agree on the general rule of 1 pair per tank unless the tank is absolutely huge. I tried adding a second pair to my 240 and the new pair was significantly harassed. They now live in my refugium and the old folks (now 17 years old) still live in the main tank.

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon. 26 yr old tank raised ocellaris pair, 24 yr old yellow tang, flame hawk, 9yr old regal angel, 12yr old H. Magnifica, RIP moorish idol (one died at 4 yrs, the second at 5 yrs).
Outerbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 10:21 PM   #23
bues0022
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerusso316 View Post
The biggest problem is more than one female in a tank. You can do several males. I have a 75 gal. With about 60 fish in it. They are from several different clutches. There are several different species of clowns. There is one female. All others male. No death. Note: When fish are fighting to be the female, death will result. When fish fight to be the dominate male fins get shredded a bit.
Disclaimer: experienced breeder - not for the inexperienced to attempt.

bues0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 10:24 PM   #24
aleonn
Registered Member

I really wanted to add one or two black clownfish to my paired false percs in my upcoming 180. Won't take any chances, though.

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 11:10 PM   #25
Ethan_W
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
4 black/white ocellaris. it takes me over 4 years to put this togather. i started with a 3 years old pair, then i added 4 juvens, the big female rejected one of them right away. over the next year, 2 juven pair up and rejected the smallest juven. now all 4(2 pair) living in 5 big rose. they hang out togather and defend the rose togather. i tried put more juvens. all 4 clowns line up and beat the new juvens to the corner. so i removed the juvens and stop adding more. i always want a big happy family of clown, i guess 4 is my #.
big female:3.5"
big male:2.75-3"
small female:2.5"
small male:1.75-2"
they all have been togather over 2 years now. never fight. united against any new comers.
thats because you probably have 3 males and 1 female. even if their are 2 pairs. females rarely, if ever tolerate each other. if one of your males ever does try to become a female, you'll see a big change

Livestock: 2 true perc clowns, firefish, scooter blenny, yellow coris wrasse, harlequin shrimp, acan, brain, frogspawn, Z's and P's, few SPS, etc
Ethan_W is offline   Reply With Quote