Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2017, 06:47 AM   #1
Nick_Northern
Registered Member

saltwater mollies

Hi all, been reading through some old threads about people using mollies for gha and bryopsis control and wondered if anyone has any experience with this long term? or has noticed any detrimental effects on the fish once converted?

cheers

Nick

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Nick_Northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2017, 07:00 AM   #2
mikeintosh
Mikeintosh

I've raised some saltwater mollies and they did great in the tank. But they did nothing for the gha. Maybe if it was the only thing available for them to eat, but not while I fed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2017, 06:31 PM   #3
cougareyes
Registered Member

Yeah I wouldn't count on it, the only down side is that they aren't that attractive for a saltwater tank. I'd look for other saltwater critters to help you out, what size tank?

Current Tank Info: 210g fowlr: yellow belly dogface puffer, harlequin tusk, pinktail and pair of bluejaw triggers, majestic angel, orange shoulder and scopus tangs. one spot fox: 90g lps reef with an antennata , zebra and fuzzy dwarf, fu manchu lions, yellow mimic tang
cougareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2017, 12:42 AM   #4
Nick_Northern
Registered Member

thanks both I'll give them a miss then, its a 90 and I only buy captive bred fish so foxface for example is out of the question, I might try a few mexican turbos instead. Bought some flucanozole but hesitant to pull the trigger on that as it sounds a bit too good to be true!

Unread 06/04/2017, 08:46 AM   #5
cougareyes
Registered Member

I'm not the tang expert so I'm not completely sure if a 90 is an adequate tank size; you can get captive bred yellow tangs. Some people have reported them clearing up gha and the likes. As with any live addition is can be a hit or miss. When it's under control and not long I had a tuxedo urchin keep my tank sparkling clean. only problem is they will pick up anything not nailed down and wear it as a hat. I have a mimic tang in my 90 with a collection of snails and my tank is pretty clean, but I've never had an issue in that tank with nuisance.

Current Tank Info: 210g fowlr: yellow belly dogface puffer, harlequin tusk, pinktail and pair of bluejaw triggers, majestic angel, orange shoulder and scopus tangs. one spot fox: 90g lps reef with an antennata , zebra and fuzzy dwarf, fu manchu lions, yellow mimic tang
cougareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2017, 08:48 AM   #6
Nick_Northern
Registered Member

I don't think any tank bred tangs made it over here to the uk unfortunately and i think a 90 would poss be too small. I have 2 tuxedo urchins, they are great for comedy value but mine aren't keen on bryopsis, they were both spawning this morning which was quite cool to see

Unread 06/04/2017, 07:03 PM   #7
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Mollies are awesome! They even eat cyanobacteria. If you want them to eat algae, DO NOT FEED THEM. These livebearing fish effectively turn algae into feeder fish. Incredible utility.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Sounds Fishy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Northern View Post
Hi all, been reading through some old threads about people using mollies for gha and bryopsis control and wondered if anyone has any experience with this long term? or has noticed any detrimental effects on the fish once converted?

cheers

Nick

I had mollies and I found that they tended to stay at the very top,as if they were too buoyant ,in saltwater.No ill health due to conversion,but my Volatin Lionfish ate them( ... that was the only detrimental effect. )

Unread 06/05/2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Mollies are natural surface feeders. Just look at their upturned mouths. Mine stayed at the top until they felt safe to go deeper, which took a while. My royal grammas chased them back up for a while, until eventually relenting.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 02:03 PM   #10
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

my mollies in swim at all levels of the tank(65g softy)..even into the rock cave at the bottom of the tank..they pick at the algae on the rocks...but dont breed but they might if i add a male lol

agreeive?fish is offline   Reply With Quote