Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2014, 01:31 PM   #1
T1R9N67
Registered Member

Red face Floating bottom tank

Hi, I'm new to this forum and not having much luck finding the answer to my dilemma. I have recently got a large 476lt Juwel tank to up grade the 200lt reef tank I already have. I've been researching how to convert the large tank so I can have a sump underneath in the cabinet, that means drilling holes in the bottom or the back I have checked that the bottom and the back are not tempered so that's ok but I've discovered that it has a floating bottom, a plastic rim underneath the bottom edge which supports the weight of the glass sides and raises the bottom of the tank off the cabinet about 8mm, the rim also supports the bottom glass edge but the majority of the bottom is off the cabinet. My question is can I drill the bottom for the overflow and return pipes and put a supporting board or foam 8mm thick under the bottom? Hope you can understand it

Last edited by T1R9N67; 02/11/2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Missed something out
T1R9N67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2014, 01:38 PM   #2
acabgd
Registered Member

I get the picture, but if the middle of the glass is not supported, why would you worry about drilling it and putting additional support there? If in doubt you can always drill the backside.

acabgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Coral Dilema
Registered Member

My tank is a 20 inch cube and it also has the plastic rim. the bottom glass IS tempered and it came with 2 holes drilled from the factory. I have had several tanks in the past that had the plastic rim and they have all been bottom drilled with no problems.

Current Tank Info: 20 inch cube running, Looking for a good place to get a 36 X 20-24 X 18-24 tank.
Coral Dilema is offline   Reply With Quote