Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2018, 06:57 PM   #1
royy13
Registered Member

Which Apex

Hello,

I want to add a controller, but I’m not sure which Apex unit would work best for my needs. I was hoping if I listed my needs someone that has knowledge of the Apex line could recommend a unit for me. This is the equipment that I currently run:

Skimmer
Return pump
Algae scrubber
Osmolator ATO
Heater
Fan
(2) Jebao rw4
Orbit Marine lights (have their own controller
Media reactor with Siporax (probably no need to control this)

Thanks In advance,
Roy

royy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 12:31 AM   #2
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

I would get a RKE or RKL Plus. They will all everything you currently need and some right out of the box and can be expanded on with more modules. Apex are great but pricey and over kill imo unless you want full wireless, phone alerts, LED light control, powerhead control ect ect all the more advanced stuff which again RK can do as well. Or just a basic Apex Jr will work but for the money you can get a RKE and have more power outlets .

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.

Last edited by DesertReefT4r; 02/20/2018 at 04:32 PM.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 01:37 AM   #3
gonereefing654
Registered Member

I would get a brake out box also. If you like diy stuff you should get one. I have a diy water on floor sensor. I have float switch for my skimmer. I added a couple door bells 1 is a one touch feed mode. An other will start or stop the pump in my water change station.

gonereefing654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 03:43 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

For a basic setup, the Apex Jr would suffice. You can also get pretty good deals used on the full Apex classic.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 05:28 PM   #5
royy13
Registered Member

I purchased a used Apex Jr. now I have to figure out the programming. If I find it inadequate I can sell it and buy the classic. To be honest, it all seems so confusing with all the modules and the breakout boxes. I surely have some research to do. Anyone have a tip on the best place to go to for learning about the Apex setups and programming.

Roy

Unread 02/20/2018, 06:34 PM   #6
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

The Neptune forum.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 10:30 PM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

There is a user-written, comprehensive reference manual on the Neptune site. A little dated, but still an essential resource.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 10:40 PM   #8
Bent
I got nothin'

Truthfully unless you are just going balls to the wall, the apex jr will do plenty.

I have no use for unlimited modules, ph monitoring and orp monitoring.

However, understand that the new trident that is coming out will actually monitor useful parameters and you will need a new apex in order to use it.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 03:51 AM   #9
royy13
Registered Member

Quote:

However, understand that the new trident that is coming out will actually monitor useful parameters and you will need a new apex in order to use it.
This is a good point. I guess I will set up the Apex Jr. now and then sell it if I decide I want the trident setup.