Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2018, 11:58 AM   #1
MSAreef
Registered Member

Will Reef Dip kill Hydroids?

I have a sea whip that I wold like to put in my dwarf seahorse tank but I want to make sure it does not have any hydroids. Will Seachem's Reef Dip kill hydroids? It says on the bottle that, among other things, it is effective agains protozoans. Some google searches classify hydroids as protozoans. I'm afraid a freshwater dip will kill the sea whip.

Current Tank Info: 90 SPS, Tunze 6100 X2 and multi-controller, Euroreef skimmer, 3/4" sea swirl, chiller, knop calcium reactor, Geo Kalkreactor, 2x400W MH Hamilton, autotopoff, 10W UV, TLF phosban reactor, 8 gal fuge, 29 gal sump
MSAreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 04:23 AM   #2
JWClark
Registered Member

No. They are not protozoans. Any google search that suggests such is wrong. Only trust published, peer reviewed, information when doing web searches or you will be misled often.

Not sure a freshwater dip will solve the problem either.

I had a small patch of colonial hydroids come in on some ARC liverock (Atlantic Reef Creations). Ignored for a while and then they spread. Ended up taking that rock out plus 3-4 pieces of pukani, broke off affected areas and discarded half the rocks (bleached in sun for a few weeks now in a QT back up tank). Also had to sacrifice a hammer coral that I liked as the hydroids were all over it.

Just FYI, if colonial, they actually grow via runners in small channels within the rock surface. So if you cover with something they just pop up on the edges eventually.

If you have another type maybe you have some more options. Don't know. Better to tell us what type you have or add a pic of them for better advice.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote