Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/07/2019, 10:56 AM   #1101
moondoggy4
Registered Member

So far so good, I held him my the tail and wiggled like crazy burp and farting out the air. So hopefully it was not to dramatic and if he is in the mood I will feed him today.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2019, 01:18 AM   #1102
Jayreefer
Registered Member

Bump for a great thread.

Picked up a warty this past Monday that ate within 24 hours of delivery. Hope he stays a strong eater.

Jayreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2019, 12:52 PM   #1103
Myke Honcho
Registered Member

New to the forum here and hoping to get some advice on what to do with my Histrio histrio. I've had him for 5 months but a few weeks ago I moved him to a new tank. The new tank has been running for over a year but I performed some maintenance on it that spiked the nitrate level only days after putting my frog fish in it. I've now got the nitrate level under control. HOWEVER THE FISH HAS BEEN FLOATING AT THE SURFACE FOR ALMOST TWO WEEKS NOW. It seems perfectly healthy besides the buoyancy issue. Frequently it dashes for the rocks below but quickly floats back to the surface.
I suspected overfeeding since I keep a handful of grass shrimp in there with him but it has been unable to reach them for a while now. I've been feeding very little just in case it is gas build up from over eating. Its stomach constantly looks a little full even tho it has eaten so little.
Ive heard of nitrate sensitivity with these guys but not much detail on it. Is this the likely culprit or should I be doing anything else for the fish? Do I just need to keep my parameters right and let the guy recover?

Sorry for this abrupt and lengthy post. I know most forums aren't very pleased with them but I was just hoping to get additional help as I continue my own research.

Myke Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2020, 11:06 AM   #1104
jambon222
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke Honcho View Post
New to the forum here and hoping to get some advice on what to do with my Histrio histrio. I've had him for 5 months but a few weeks ago I moved him to a new tank. The new tank has been running for over a year but I performed some maintenance on it that spiked the nitrate level only days after putting my frog fish in it. I've now got the nitrate level under control. HOWEVER THE FISH HAS BEEN FLOATING AT THE SURFACE FOR ALMOST TWO WEEKS NOW. It seems perfectly healthy besides the buoyancy issue. Frequently it dashes for the rocks below but quickly floats back to the surface.

I suspected overfeeding since I keep a handful of grass shrimp in there with him but it has been unable to reach them for a while now. I've been feeding very little just in case it is gas build up from over eating. Its stomach constantly looks a little full even tho it has eaten so little.

Ive heard of nitrate sensitivity with these guys but not much detail on it. Is this the likely culprit or should I be doing anything else for the fish? Do I just need to keep my parameters right and let the guy recover?

Sorry for this abrupt and lengthy post. I know most forums aren't very pleased with them but I was just hoping to get additional help as I continue my own research.
Hi. Just came across your post now. Did you ever get the buoyancy under control?
Frogfish must not be allowed to gulp air overfed . I dont think they can expel the air and if overfed the food could rot in there gut and cause gas.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

jambon222 is offline   Reply With Quote