Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2007, 08:30 PM   #1
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Question Info on BlueLine Angel or BlueSpot Angel Please.

I've been searching but I don't get much other than Blueline pumps, jaw fish and many other blue things.

Just wanted any information that you've heard or experienced with these two angels. Treat this as a open book since I haven't found any real information yet and only the BlueSpot is in my Scott Michael book.

I only have corals like Frogspawn, Hammers, Leathers, etc. and I don't plan on any corals other than these type.

Thank you all in advance.

Raymond

BlueNWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2007, 09:44 PM   #2
bureau13
Registered Member

My blue line (see avatar) was in my tank for a couple months, and didn't really mess with anything....except a carpet anemone. He and a blue face were really hard on the thing for a while, pulling off tentacles and getting a white blistery mouth for their troubles.

The blue line eventually started acting lethargic for no apparent reason, and then I found him swimming around upside down. I removed him to a hospital tank, but it was too late, and he died within a day.

This was really annoying by the way, and has totally turned me off of $300 fish for the time being! He was a really beautiful fish, while he lasted.

jds

bureau13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2007, 11:21 PM   #3
Kahuna Tuna
Registered Member

I kept a small bluespot years ago and he did well for a month or so before he developed a nasty bacterial infection and died pretty quickly. Before he got sick he ate very well and didn't touch any of my corals. I can tell you that hammers, frogspawn, and other LPS are usually one of the corals that angels tend to nip at.

Current Tank Info: No tank currently
Kahuna Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2007, 07:37 PM   #4
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bureau13
My blue line (see avatar) was in my tank for a couple months, and didn't really mess with anything....except a carpet anemone. He and a blue face were really hard on the thing for a while, pulling off tentacles and getting a white blistery mouth for their troubles.

The blue line eventually started acting lethargic for no apparent reason, and then I found him swimming around upside down. I removed him to a hospital tank, but it was too late, and he died within a day.

This was really annoying by the way, and has totally turned me off of $300 fish for the time being! He was a really beautiful fish, while he lasted.

jds
Hello jds

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Has your Blue Face survived the blistery mouth thing? Do you think the lethargy was the result of the blistery mouth? Have you heard of others experiences while researching this fish when you got yours?

What size was your BlueLine Angel? Was he fully colored when you got him?

Thanks,
Raymond

Unread 01/31/2007, 07:11 AM   #5
LargeAngels
Premium Member

There is very little info on bluespot angels. Even in the best angelfish books. So far they are only known to exist in Cebu. I've gotten a couple that never really adjusted and starved to death. I do have a pair that I got from a local LFS who had them in his giant vats before I bought them.

Mine eat flake, mysis, brine, Hikaria and Spectrum pellets. Pretty peacefull and usually not aggresive. Except my large bluespot did not like my bluejaw trigger. Only fish it ever bothered.

In the books it is stated they don't get bigger than 5.5", but my large on is well over 6".

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2007, 07:59 AM   #6
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Hello LargeAngels

Those are beautiful. You've got the most appropriate user name given the pics that you've been posting today (I just saw your GoldFlake Angel).

What was the size of your other BlueSpot Angels that didn't make it? Do you think you just had bad luck with those or do you think that it is a hard to keep angel? What do they look like as juveniles?

Thanks,
Raymond

Unread 01/31/2007, 08:05 AM   #7
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kahuna Tuna
I kept a small bluespot years ago and he did well for a month or so before he developed a nasty bacterial infection and died pretty quickly. Before he got sick he ate very well and didn't touch any of my corals. I can tell you that hammers, frogspawn, and other LPS are usually one of the corals that angels tend to nip at.
Hello Kahuna Tuna

Sorry to hear about the passing of your BlueSpot. How small was he? Was he still in juvenile colors, or do they not have juvenile colors?

What kind of bacterial infection was it? Do you know if they tend to get bacterial infections often, kind of like most tangs?

Funny that you say angels tend to pick at hammers and frogspawns because all of my angels never even touch any of mine (I need to update my stock list in my signature). Have your angels picked at these corals?

Thanks,
Raymond

Unread 01/31/2007, 08:07 AM   #8
LargeAngels
Premium Member

I'll see if I have a good picture of the little guy. He transformed from a juvenile to adult colors, but still small, at the LFS.

The others I got were anywhere from 3-5." If they are only found around the Phillipines then that may be clue #1 why some didn't do so well.

Unread 01/31/2007, 08:19 AM   #9
triggerfish1976
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bureau13

jds
Most of the Bluelines that have been coming into the trade in the last couple of years or so are being collected out of Vietnam and there have been reports that the Vietnamese are starting to use Cyanide to collect fish. The sucess rates with Bluelines have been very poor recently and most of the cases that I have seen or heard of are condusive of Cyanide exposure (lethargic behavior, loss of appetite, abnormally bright coloration). Granted, Bluelines have always been a difficult fish to maintain long term but the mortality rate seems to have went up since they started mainly coming out of Vietnam.
The very few success stories that I have seen with these fish in recent memory were specimans caught from other areas.

triggerfish1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2007, 08:27 AM   #10
Kahuna Tuna
Registered Member

My bluespot was pretty small, about 2 1/2 inches but was in adult coloration. I've never seen a juvie but I imagine they probably look a lot like the other Chaetodontoplus juveniles, many of whom look very similar. He actually ate well for the time I had him except near the end and he specifically had a case of popeye. My comment on angels nipping at LPS comes from the reading I've done and I've only had one real experience since I avoided LPS with my angels. In the one case I did try a frogspawn my asfur ate it in a day.

Current Tank Info: No tank currently
Kahuna Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2007, 11:09 AM   #11
bureau13
Registered Member

I got mine from Marine Center, but I don't know where he came from originally. It does seem to be a likely candidate for cyanide though.

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by triggerfish1976
Most of the Bluelines that have been coming into the trade in the last couple of years or so are being collected out of Vietnam and there have been reports that the Vietnamese are starting to use Cyanide to collect fish. The sucess rates with Bluelines have been very poor recently and most of the cases that I have seen or heard of are condusive of Cyanide exposure (lethargic behavior, loss of appetite, abnormally bright coloration). Granted, Bluelines have always been a difficult fish to maintain long term but the mortality rate seems to have went up since they started mainly coming out of Vietnam.
The very few success stories that I have seen with these fish in recent memory were specimans caught from other areas.

Unread 01/31/2007, 11:13 AM   #12
bureau13
Registered Member

I don't really think the blistery mouth issue was much a factor...the picking occurred during the day, so by the end of the day you could see it, but by morning it was usually gone.

The Blueface has been fine...but he doesn't really pick at the anemone anymore. I'm not sure why...there's a Sebae clown hosting it now, but he doesn't really get in the angels face much, maybe he just lost interest.

The Blue line was a good 7-8" when I got him...bigger than I wanted to start with, but really beautiful.

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueNWhite
Hello jds

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Has your Blue Face survived the blistery mouth thing? Do you think the lethargy was the result of the blistery mouth? Have you heard of others experiences while researching this fish when you got yours?

What size was your BlueLine Angel? Was he fully colored when you got him?

Thanks,
Raymond

Unread 01/31/2007, 01:19 PM   #13
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

Marinedepot has a picture of a BlueLine with a vertical yellow stripe down its face, is this normal? Here is the link:

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/blue-...s--large-.html

Raymond

Unread 01/31/2007, 01:25 PM   #14
LargeAngels
Premium Member

Juvi Pattern.