Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2014, 09:56 PM   #26
CLeadfootS
Coral Addict

I texted him to let him know he has been tagged so there is no excuse now. :-)

CLeadfootS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2014, 01:51 AM   #27
hnnhflns
Registered Member

Hello from Hawaii! This sounds like an awesome idea for a thread!

We would accept the tag except but we do not have any pictures of our setup with us on this trip. So, we will be more than happy to accept a tag later on in the thread. We will be home in a few days so we will be back in the game then!

We haven't had the best of luck with catching fish this year for our aquarium. Turns out that most fish are too stupid to figure out how to get to the bait inside a trap. We have had unseasonal really large swells on even the most protected beaches, which has made snorkeling and fishing difficult. We have had some luck with tiny hooks and some squid bait, but no fancy fish so far, just a damsel, a few unknown fish, and a file fish (we think). We really aren't sure what we caught but we did get a bunch of new types of macros! So far the biggest thing we have caught is a pair of nice sunburns...
Chris also had two complete and total wipeouts on the lava rocks while tide pooling. The surf has been much higher than normal.

hnnhflns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2014, 02:20 PM   #28
psykobowler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLeadfootS View Post
I had some help on the caps from psychobowler Glen. Thanks Glen. They have been growing nicely in my tank though too. My tank diminsions is 48x18x21 (20 inches tall at the waterlevel).

I don't have Chris and Hannah's phone number to inform them of the tagging. I was trying to think of somebody who doesn't show off their tank too often so we can get a sneek peek of it.

I will withdraw my tagging of Chris and Hanna for someone to tag them later. I want to tag a different person. A person who's tank is like the chupacabra, nobody has really caught a glimpse of it.......

I am tagging Hugo (HV1990)!!! You're up!

I knew those humongous montiporas looked familiar! Haha, glad to see they are getting even bigger. Sweet. I had to give them away because they ate up too much of my real estate. I have mostly acros in my 300.

Glenn

Current Tank Info: 300g & 90g display, 90g fragtank, 34g fuge, 120g sump1 w/ RO Xp-5000, 20g sump2 , 5 (2x54wattT5 retrofits) 3 radion xr15pros, 5mp60s, 4tunze6255s, Apex, WXM, KnopCaRx, Avast KalkRx
psykobowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2014, 03:07 PM   #29
jthao
Super Saiyan

Quote:
I texted him to let him know he has been tagged so there is no excuse now. :-)
Hey Casey, you know if Hugo is down to play?

Unread 09/16/2014, 03:20 PM   #30
CLeadfootS
Coral Addict

Yes he is. He told me he was going to do it last night but i guess he hasn't yet.

Unread 09/16/2014, 03:59 PM   #31
jthao
Super Saiyan

Quote:
Yes he is. He told me he was going to do it last night but i guess he hasn't yet.
Sweet!

Unread 09/16/2014, 04:08 PM   #32
HV1990
Registered Member

I just replaced my sump and will take some photos of the after math..... Few people have seen my tank and its nothing like Jeff's or Tims but I am in...............

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed reef tank
HV1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2014, 04:21 PM   #33
CLeadfootS
Coral Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HV1990 View Post
I just replaced my sump and will take some photos of the after math..... Few people have seen my tank and its nothing like Jeff's or Tims but I am in...............
That was my thinking. Pick somebody who hasn't posted many pictures of their tank. You have a nice tank so i'm glad you decided to show it off!

Unread 09/18/2014, 09:57 PM   #34
CLeadfootS
Coral Addict

C'mon Hugo, lets see these pictures!

Unread 09/20/2014, 10:12 AM   #35
HV1990
Registered Member

Starting a comeback

Okay so here is the deal. My hubris bit me in the @$$... I thought I could skip a few water changes, not clean out my sump and all would be well.... Well I was wrong and my reef tank has suffered. However I will pick my head up and keep up my maintenance.

Well first off lets take a look at the new sump. From left to right.
Drain and skimmer. The middle has a baffle in the middle that is movable. This is for new fish that come in. Let them get accustom to the water and allow to observe. I got this idea from 79choopper... And then the return. I run 2 pumps in this section. A Water Blaster 7000 that feeds my DT as well as my Ca RX. The Ca RX is a Korallian 1502 that I got from Fishnerd. Been rock solid ever since. The second pump is a mag 5 that feesd two 2LFS reactors with carbon and GFO. It also what feeds my chiller.

Now lets see a FTS. (sorry for the crappy phone pics) This was just with actinics....

Lets turn on the lights... =)

Ah much better. Well as you can see I am still trying to get my nitrates under control. This will take a bit since I keep adding fish..
Lets get some close ups. well not true macro shots but better than nothing

Now the one on the right is a personal favorite Red Planet. Now not in its prime since my Thalassoma lucasanum kept knocking it over I finally found a a new home for it.

Well I was going to start listing all the coral but,,,, Yah I don't want to keep looking up the names so here are the pics.

Well your probably asking what about the fish. Well here is a rundown

Halichoeres claudia
Halichoeres annularis
Halichoeres melanurus
Halichoeres garnoti
Halichoeres chrysus
Thalassoma lucasanum
Cirrhilabrus solorensis
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Pseudocheilinus ocellatus

But wait there's more fish. (non wrasse)zomg I know
Chromis atripectoralis
Acanthurus mata

Unread 09/20/2014, 10:13 AM   #36
HV1990
Registered Member

And now I am tagging...............(give me a minute to think about it.)

Unread 09/20/2014, 10:21 AM   #37
jthao
Super Saiyan

Thanks for sharing Hugo.
I was beginning to think you forgot about this thread, haha jk.
That sump design is very nice. How old is that clam? It looks huge!

Unread 09/20/2014, 10:39 AM   #38
jthao
Super Saiyan

Alright members, let's keep this thread Rollin. Please, if you get tagged and want to play along, please do it within 2 days of getting tagged, sooner the better, so this thread can continue to be fun and exciting. Thanks!

Unread 09/20/2014, 11:38 AM   #39
HV1990
Registered Member

Tagging Brandon... Bliflet

Unread 09/21/2014, 06:29 PM   #40
bfliflet
Registered Member

Haven't forgotten. Between the frag swap, losing 75% of my fish this last week and having to medicate my gigantea carpet I've been swamped. And today's my son's 13th birthday. I'll have an update by Monday if not later tonight.

Unread 09/22/2014, 11:24 AM   #41
bfliflet
Registered Member

I originally set this 300g up as an anemone tank and after some discussion with Jeff and Anne, I planned to incorporate zoas and some LPS in this 'dirty water' environment. Since then, the tank's focus has shifted to more SPS. Basing my system on an ATS has made this more challenging as advice is harder to come by. I am an avid DYIer (stand, LEDs, ATS, ATO, etc) and my setup wreaks of it. That said, I enjoy the hobby (aka obsession) and the people associated — MARS and the surrounding clubs. On to the pictures...

FTS minus gigantea in QT

Green carpet in QT. Became stressed after an additive dosed. Clownfish kept picking at the gaping mouth and it receded. Looking much better now.

Some hitchiker orange monti I received from Kim’s live rock has taken over…

An unknown to me tort(?) that yielded some frags for the swap

My clowns sleeping in their BTA. The tentacles look black at night they’re so dense with zooxanthellae.

An SPS (looks like surf n turf?) that’s almost forest green in person.

The red goniopora I got from Jordan (pico1) when I first set up my tank. The bald spot in the red hornets went to two people at the swap

A yellow and green milli, superman monti, YR blue tenuis (from a MARS raffle) among others. Red dragon on the right. What’s the green and purple/pink in the bottom middle?

Unknown tort(?) with a cool growth pattern. Keeps trespassing into BTA’s space and pays for it. Hardy sucker…

Rastas (minus a patch for the swap) have become almost plaguelike. Photobomb by Jedi Mind Trick and a green slimer which never seem to grow well despite great polyp extension

Unread 09/22/2014, 11:25 AM   #42
bfliflet
Registered Member

(Previous post) Some green birdsnest that really glows. Common but nice to look at when polyps extend

Bad photo of some green stylo from tfp. Think it’s supposed to have pink in there too…

And the 40g breeder filtering it all. Recently added a skimmer in lieu of increasing ATS size with what will become a refugium at some point.

Tank: 300g tall (96x24x30)
Sump: 40g breeder
Filter: Algal Turf Scrubber. 25w of LEDs (4:1 red:blue), (2) 17x5 screens.
Skimmer: Aquamaxx EM 300
Flow: Jebao wp60(x2) wp40(x2), Water Blaster 7000 in sump
Light: Custom DYI LEDs from 405nm - 660nm in clustered arrangement with LDDs and custom Arduino dimming code.
Dosing: BRS two part plus experimentation with Zeovit additives
Controller: Apex w/ two EB8s
Maintenance: Weekly 10-15% water change. Clean ATS screen. Test water.

Finally, I would like to tag palygirl (Anne). I haven’t seen her zoa tank since her and Jeff graciously invited me to their house. Best Regards!

Unread 09/22/2014, 12:45 PM   #43
79chopperdr
I killed ALL that Coral!

Nice work Brandon. I love putting my own stuff together too.

The first unknown looks like Cali Tort to me.

79chopperdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2014, 01:33 PM   #44
Saltwaternooby
SPS junkie

2nd that 1st tort is Cali Tort

Looking Good everyone, I know Anne just went out of town for a few days so probably no updates.

24g cube for ORA Picasso

Last edited by Saltwaternooby; 09/22/2014 at 01:41 PM.
Saltwaternooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2014, 01:41 PM   #45
robert s b.
Registered Member

Looking good Brandon, awesome thread! Great to see everyone's tanks!

Current Tank Info: 300G DD, Edge 80g Frag Tank
robert s b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2014, 01:49 PM   #46
jthao
Super Saiyan

Wow brandon, very impressive set up! I didn't know you're an LED guru! I knw who I'll be calling now for LED help! those Rastas are insane dude.
Can you give more info on LED build please?
Thanks for sharing bro!

Unread 09/22/2014, 02:28 PM   #47
bfliflet
Registered Member

Each 8"x8" panel has the following LEDs:
1 - BXRC-40E2000-C-XX (Vero 13) 40W 4000k neutral white. high CRI
4 - Rebel Luxeon M Royal Blue 48W very efficient
4 - LGB Ocean Coral White (Red/Cyan/Cool Blue) 26W
4 - LGB 405nm hyperviolet 10W
12 - LGB 430nm ultraviolet 28W
for a total of about 150W peak power per panel or 600W total. Each panel has 7 LDDs so each channel on each panel can be independently controlled. There's a CPU fan on top of the heatsinks to keep them cool. The panels use 30deg optics to minimize spillover and penetrate my 30" tank plus the mounting height. Uncorrected PAR at water surface is around 1100 at 100% power. Dirty water plus turbulence reduces PAR to around 500 (uncorrected) mid-tank. Lately, I have been ramping up my intensity and have noticed deeper coloration. Currently at 80% power.

I posted some closeups of the LED on the MARS forum after the LED presentation in August:
http://www.marineaquarist.org/marsforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4

Unread 09/22/2014, 04:17 PM   #48
Tweakes182
Registered Member

I think that Anne may be busy all week. I know she has a conference that she is going to, but I am not sure when she will be back

Tweakes182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2014, 04:27 PM   #49
bfliflet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakes182 View Post
I think that Anne may be busy all week. I know she has a conference that she is going to, but I am not sure when she will be back
Alright Chris. I am calling you out! Hopefully, someone will tag Anne when she gets back. Would love to get an update on her (and eventually Jeff's) tank(s).

Unread 09/22/2014, 04:46 PM   #50
palygirl
Registered Member

Yep, I'm in Orange Co. for work all week... Glad you tagged Chris and Hannah!!