Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2012, 03:36 PM   #1
temet vince
Registered Member

Utter noob. First salt tank: Nuvo 16g

Hey!

I've wanted a saltwater tank for about 3 years now and I finally bought one yesterday. The pics are from both yesterday and today.

Got it all set up and BAM! There's a chip in the glass I think. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURE AND HELP ME! Are small chips covered up by silicone a danger to integrity of the tank or is there a significant leaking risk?

I've ordered 10 lbs of manado cured rock from Premium Aquatics. I called them up to ask them about it and they were awesome. It is shipping monday and will be here wednesday.

Also, found a little brittle star or something today when I woke up. He's really tiny, and I'm hoping he lives through the cycle.

(Also please ignore my empty apartment. Just moved in and haven't gotten furniture yet.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0259.jpg (25.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0263.jpg (30.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0264.jpg (31.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0266.jpg (34.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0268.jpg (94.9 KB, 26 views)
temet vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2012, 03:38 PM   #2
temet vince
Registered Member

More.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0270.jpg (96.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0271.jpg (21.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0272.jpg (27.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0277.jpg (35.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0282.jpg (27.6 KB, 31 views)
Unread 07/26/2012, 08:06 PM   #3
StevenSinger
Registered Member

welcome to the party, post a close up picture of this chip. I can't see it, However if there is something wrong with your brand new uncycled tank I would call the shop you got it from.

StevenSinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2012, 08:22 PM   #4
alford35
Registered Member

Looks like a chip to me. Is it in the back?

Hard to say if it will cause failure or not but I wouldnt want to risk it since it is so new. Put the water and sand in a few buckets or water change container and take the tank back to the store.

alford35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2012, 02:06 PM   #5
temet vince
Registered Member

Yeh, the chip is in the back. I'm not as worried about it as I was; the tank is still holding water, and also there is another "wall" or whatever that is siliconed between the very back and the main aquarium. So really, there is hardly any pressure on the chip. We'll see about whether I get it exchanged. It's probably a good idea, but it seems like everything is fine with it to be honest.

So not much news on the tank. Spotted another micro brittle star, a tiny white starfish, a tiny white snail, a small worm that looks like an earthworm but is so thin you can almost see through him (but you can't), and a tiny bug or something that is extremely fast and hates light.

Removed the big dead rock I was seeding. One of the brittle stars had migrated over to it. I was going to have to remove the rock anyway to make room for the manado rock coming in wednesday, so I got him off of it and took it out just in case any more hitchhikers decided they wanted to move to it. I thought I killed the poor guy, but he was only playing possum... for like 4 hours!

Here's an updated pic.

Probably won't post any more till wednesday unless I manage to get some of the hitchhikers... but they are hiding very, very well.

Last edited by temet vince; 07/27/2012 at 02:49 PM.
Unread 07/27/2012, 05:31 PM   #6
alford35
Registered Member

Please take the sticker off the tank. jk

There are a few other nuvos that still have the sticker on them and it drives my OCD crazy.

I wouldnt worry about it too much but if they will exchange it then I would since the tank isnt really setup yet.

alford35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2012, 09:01 PM   #7
temet vince
Registered Member

Lol it's not the sticker's presence that bothers me so much as the fact that it's crooked!

I'll probably take it off soon, but I have to leave it on in case I return the tank. I hear you on the ocd though!

Unread 07/27/2012, 11:04 PM   #8
SushiGirl
Premium Member

I love that you bought a tank before furniture!

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16 gallon, beginner, innovative marine, noob, nuvo