Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2016, 12:07 PM   #101
krazyk148
Registered Member

I received the last of my fiberglass resin today so will probably be finishing that up this weekend. To answer your question Erica, I used OSB on the inside since it absorbs much more resin than plywood. I wanted to turn the osb into a barrier in itself before i even applied the fiberglass. I am covering the outside of the tank in 3/4 plywood utilizing a sandwhich effect with the 2 x 4s and adding extra support. The entire tank inside and outside will be covered in marine paint. Im taking extra care and 4 layers of fiberglass to make sure not a single drop of water touches bare wood. Hope that answers some of your thoughts!

krazyk148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 02:53 PM   #102
crawlerman
Registered Member

Keep at it KrazyK, I can't wait to see the end result. Please keep posting, if you stopped now I would forever be wondering. You need to run a web cam when you are filling it.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 04:02 PM   #103
MarkS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottedontknow View Post
But trolling is okay? What happened to people keeping negative pointless comments to themselves?

This is his thread and he's doing something a lot of people want to see complete and want to see him successful. Just saying if some people don't like what someone's doing they should keep it to themselves....
I want to see this succeed. I love oddly designed tanks. The stacked 2x4 construction is a fatal flaw. It WILL fail. It could have been designed differently and would have lasted for many, many years. The "negativity" isn't pointless. If this was in his home, it would be one thing, but it looks like it is in a business from the pictures. If that is the case, the general public is at risk. These warnings are FAR from pointless.

Nothing I have said or anyone else has said can be categorized as "trolling".

MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 05:33 PM   #104
krazyk148
Registered Member

Its in my basement Mark. I know it will succeed and have taken everyone elses views accordingly. I reinforced it in several ways due to what people have recomended on here so im very appreciative to them. I just dont appreciate rudeness on my "crayon drawings" or that ill somehow go to jail for insurance fraud. Offer advice not harsh criticism! Now to go fiberglass!

Unread 12/08/2016, 05:34 PM   #105
krazyk148
Registered Member

Ill take you thinking my basement is a commercial property as a compliment though! So thanks haha

Unread 12/08/2016, 08:03 PM   #106
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk148 View Post
I received the last of my fiberglass resin today so will probably be finishing that up this weekend. To answer your question Erica, I used OSB on the inside since it absorbs much more resin than plywood. I wanted to turn the osb into a barrier in itself before i even applied the fiberglass. I am covering the outside of the tank in 3/4 plywood utilizing a sandwhich effect with the 2 x 4s and adding extra support. The entire tank inside and outside will be covered in marine paint. Im taking extra care and 4 layers of fiberglass to make sure not a single drop of water touches bare wood. Hope that answers some of your thoughts!

It was my thoughts as well on the osb's ability to absorb the adhesive/resin. People are so used to conventional they cant see the Structural integrity in stacked lumber.. As i said above i am curious about deflection .

Time will tell I am assuming..

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2016, 09:31 AM   #107
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Okay, what exactly does bio-shock themed tank mean? Is Bio-Shock a game?

CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2016, 09:34 AM   #108
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
Okay, what exactly does bio-shock themed tank mean? Is Bio-Shock a game?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioShock

Unread 12/09/2016, 09:37 AM   #109
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Also, out of curiosity, how are you going to get into that tank to clean it all the way to the bottom? Most of the magnetic scrub brush kinda suck when the glass/plexiglass is too thick and you'd be forever chasing your scrub end when it came loose and floated away. And scrubbing the glass with one of those if you're using plexiglass will leave scratches. Not to mention the part that will be fiberglassed.
Forget cleaning it. How are you going to paint/seal the inside? Or do anything to seal the glass windows when the glass is in place. I'm having a break down just trying to imagine getting in that thing...then getting out. I hope you're really tall and super skinny!!!
No seriously though---I realize none of that is important as the actual build, but some people do over look the maintenance aspect of a tank then when they get done it's like...d*mn...

Anyhow...good luck. I'm intrigued that's for sure.

Unread 12/09/2016, 09:39 AM   #110
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post

Ah. I recognize some of the characters from cosplay at Dragon Con.

Unread 12/09/2016, 09:49 AM   #111
mcgyvr
Registered Member

A failure can be one of the greatest learning experiences in life..

I'm demanding a video be shot the whole time this tank is being filled up..
I so want to hear all the creaking/cracking and just watch it..
I'd be stuck on that screen and couldn't look away..

So please.. youtube it man..

Unread 12/09/2016, 10:07 AM   #112
krazyk148
Registered Member

haha there is a "manhole" sized opening on the one side for me to climb in and out of if needed. Im 6'5" so it shouldnt be too much of an issue. The entire top has removable acrylic panels as well. Besides the refugium which im hoping will cut down on some of the excess, Believe it or not an rc submarine can go along way when fitted with different tools. lol I actually some growth around the tank itself since it will add age and character to the theme. I will film it when i start the water process.

Unread 12/09/2016, 11:46 AM   #113
JonezNReef
Registered Member

So are you going to include any "little sisters" or "big daddys" in or around the tank to further the theme? I just went back and looked and the theater sign and it fits perfect with the theme.

JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2016, 12:18 PM   #114
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Are you sure you want an octopus in that tank? I'd think fish would be challenging enough. Plus an octo is going to hide most of the time which will make it very difficult to see. Not to mention feeding it will be a huge challenge. I know you said you're going to wrap that center brick post to seal it off. How are you going to make it blend in with the setup after it's wrapped? Are you going to put any kind of texture on it?
I really hope this works. I don't know enough about engineering to comment on the structural integrity. I mean, it seems like it should work, but I've seen tanks professionally built that didn't so who knows. I really hope it does though. I'm not a fan of tanks like this. It's just a personal preference. I really like pieces of the ocean. I know lots of people love them though. As long as you're please that's all that matters. But again on that octo, I really hope you reconsider. Just because they are so dang hard to keep in a traditional tank that's been designed to accommodate the animal specifically.
Good Luck!

Unread 12/09/2016, 01:16 PM   #115
krazyk148
Registered Member

Im on the lookout for a big daddy or some other bioshock themed items but making sure they are fish safe has been a challenge. To answer your question crayola, the support beam will be painted to look like the individual bricks under it. Im using green and black as my marine paints so I will more than likely paint the column green and outline each brick in black. Ive had a few octopus's in the past and have loved caring for them. This will be the first time i have an LPO though (large Pacific octopus). Honestly they arent hard to feed at all and the past few i have had were incredibly active as long as you give them toys, etc.

Unread 12/09/2016, 01:21 PM   #116
krazyk148
Registered Member

I can also stock with similar sized fish (grouper, lionfish, puffer) mostly predators. Eventually i will like to go reef but since octopus have short lives I planned on starting as a fish only system.

Unread 12/09/2016, 02:07 PM   #117
JonezNReef
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2613462
Here is a thread of a guy feeding his Common Atlantic Octopus. I have known a few people with Octopus and they said the worst part of having one as a pet is they are escape artist and they have a short life span. Never seen anyone with a Pacific Octopus before, Ive seen 2 spot, common atlantic, and a fish store had a blue ring up for grabs once. If you do get one you will have to post plenty of videos of it.

JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2016, 02:28 PM   #118
krazyk148
Registered Member

Yeah i designed the top panels to lock into place so that the octopus has no place to escape. The overflow has to utilize drill holes instead of slots due to this.

Unread 12/09/2016, 02:29 PM   #119
kowen
Registered Member

I hope this tank is a success, but the concerns of many members who have posted in here are legitimate. You're dealing with 6 1/2 tons of water 6-7 feet deep. Thinking this will work because you saw someone use the same construction method on a tank that's only a couple feet deep is risky. A 1M square foot warehouse and a 1M square foot high rise have quite different engineering concerns. Same goes for a broad, shallow tank vs. a tall, narrow tank. This is a project I definitely would have hired an engineer to review prior to building.

kowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2016, 02:54 PM   #120
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk148 View Post
haha there is a "manhole" sized opening on the one side for me to climb in and out of if needed.
Wait, can you run that one by me again? An opening, on the side?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2016, 03:12 PM   #121
krazyk148
Registered Member

On the top sorry i should have been more clear. One of the panels on top is twice the size of the other panels.

Unread 12/09/2016, 04:10 PM   #122
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

I showed this to the significant other. He said he's seen grain silos over 60 feet tall done with just cribbing and corner supports so thought this should have no problems holding up. He's good with stuff like that so if he says it will hold, hopefully it will. His only concern were the windows. And was hoping they would be reinforced.

Unread 12/11/2016, 09:50 AM   #123
Litfury
Registered Member

This looks amazing. I can't wait to see more updates. Any new pics? When do you think you will be filling it with water? Any general time line you have planned?

Litfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 10:51 AM   #124
krazyk148
Registered Member

Finished Round 2 of fiberglassing and still ran out of resin! 6 gallons in and everything but the top of the tank is done. Basement smells like an autobody shop but making progress in any case! Waiting on 3 more gallons to be shipped and then ill finally be able to move on to the epoxy resin then marine paint. Almost done with the hard part! Everything is down hill from here! pictures to follow after i finish fiberglassing.

Unread 12/22/2016, 11:43 AM   #125
davocean
Registered Member

This is starting to sound like the Spruce Goose of aquariums, sure hope it flies for ya!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote