Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2010, 09:50 AM   #101
Taqpol
Registered Member

You still plan on releasing the code for this publicly? I don't know what language the Arduino uses, but since I have some coding experience I feel like it would be easy to take your code and alter/add a few variables to control my 10 channels of LEDs with my Seeeduino Mega, right?

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2010, 10:18 AM   #102
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I will absolutely be releasing hardware and software once I have something worth doing so with. Probably under Creative Commons 3.0. If you go look in the "Arduino sketches" thread you'll see that I've posted the current working draft of the software, which is messy and missing some important functions. It's also heavily based on the hardware design (16x2 LCD, four input buttons, which pins are used for which functions, etc.) though you could alter the code to match your hardware or just copy the general setup.

FWIW Arduino language is based on C/C++. I have little formal programming education and none in C but find it really easy to learn as you go if you understand basic object oriented programming concepts.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2010, 10:56 AM   #103
fstar25
Getting there

DWIZ , I'm disappointed that you had no comment on my prototype image. And the lack of your pressence is obvious in the lounge. Its been rumored that you were eaten by philosoraptor....

~Frank

Current Tank Info: 29G BioCube with LED lighting, media basket, fuge (chamber 2), MJ1200 return pump, K nano & K 1 power heads, 32# LR, ~2" SB
fstar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2010, 06:47 PM   #104
Iwishihadgills
Registered Member

Thats sweet!

Unread 08/11/2010, 11:45 PM   #105
letsgofishin
Moved On

looks great//

Im in for a project board and any parts kits you might put together.

thanks

letsgofishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2010, 06:31 AM   #106
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstar25 View Post
DWIZ , I'm disappointed that you had no comment on my prototype image. And the lack of your pressence is obvious in the lounge. Its been rumored that you were eaten by philosoraptor....

~Frank
Sorry, missed that somehow. You can tell the Lounge folks that I died in an unfortunate underwater hot air balloon accident.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 08/12/2010, 06:35 AM   #107
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

I told you not to weave baskets when you did that!

TheFishMan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2010, 10:45 AM   #108
actarus
Registered Member

Hello everyone,

I'm French, so sorry for my English.

I have a 250 liters reef tank and I want to build a ramp LED based on Arduino.
I've been reading for a while and your project "typhon" is very interrescent.

Any news of the project ?
I am excited that you put it online

Again thank you.
DWZM you are awesome.

Last edited by actarus; 08/19/2010 at 11:05 AM.
actarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2010, 11:38 AM   #109
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

The prototype is working, I am making a few non-critical tweaks to the design and will post the final version as soon as it is done.

Unread 08/19/2010, 12:52 PM   #110
actarus
Registered Member

Great good news.

thank you

actarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2010, 04:04 PM   #111
wld1783
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
The prototype is working, I am making a few non-critical tweaks to the design and will post the final version as soon as it is done.
Groovy

Can't wait.

All I want is is a timer that starts at 1vdc for the ELN 60-48D and two hours later ends up at 10vdc. Then 9 hours later takes two hours to end up at 1vdc.

Spent days searching the internet for such a simple device. Considering time valued at minimum wage I would of been better off just buying an APEX controller.

Thanks DWZM please post soon.

Bill

Current Tank Info: 570 Soft/LPS, 330SPS & 440 refug
wld1783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2010, 06:44 PM   #112
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Bill,

That's basically the functionality I've written into the basic firmware. For each of the channels of LED, you get to program the following:

Start time: self-explanatory.
Photoperiod: self-explanatory.
Fade Duration: The amount of time the channel takes to fade from zero (at the start time) to full power.
Max Intensity: The % it hits at max power.

And of course, since it's an Arduino, you can write or use any code you want to do anything else - moonlight control, using a different start time/photoperiod each day to simulate natural changes in day length, cloud simulation, and so on.

Also, I put pinouts for the I2C and Serial ports on the edge of the board, so you can easily expand the basic hardware. For instance, if you decided in a year that you wanted to display pH, you could build any of the popular pH circuits, slap an I2C ADC on it, and plug it in.

Or, you could use a multiport I2C ADC and add a few temp sensors. I may design a simple "Typhon add on" for temp sensors, since it could arguably be used in controlling your LEDs - you could rig the temp sensors to the heatsinks and have the Typhon shut your LEDs off if it detected an unsafe temperature (due to a fan failure or other such event).

Unread 09/01/2010, 12:48 PM   #113
camanuch
Registered Member

Hey dwzm... Thanks for this link. Now when can we order the controller.

camanuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2010, 01:25 PM   #114
marspeed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camanuch View Post
Hey dwzm... Thanks for this link. Now when can we order the controller.
did i miss something ?

marspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2010, 01:27 PM   #115
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

Either I missed it too. Or he is referring the fact that DWZM has worked out the bugs and want to know if the 'real' version is ready.

TheFishMan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2010, 01:31 PM   #116
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I sent him a link to this thread via PM - there's nothing to miss. I'm not in the retail business and am releasing this project open source so people can make their own.

FWIW the first prototype boards went in the mail to beta testers today at lunch. Once I get some feedback and incorporate any noted hardware changes I'll release the design.

Unread 09/07/2010, 11:28 PM   #117
ToolmanRR
Registered Member

Listening in.

ToolmanRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2010, 11:45 PM   #118
joncd
Registered Member

Sounds great.

joncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2010, 08:30 AM   #119
ToolmanRR
Registered Member

Will there be a 2nd Fade Duration? The amount of time the channel takes to fade from full power (at the start time) to zero. (To create a sunset)
This should be a sweet setup when it's done.
Thx

ToolmanRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2010, 08:43 AM   #120
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolmanRR View Post
Will there be a 2nd Fade Duration? The amount of time the channel takes to fade from full power (at the start time) to zero. (To create a sunset)
This should be a sweet setup when it's done.
Thx
By default, in the current firmware, the "fade" value works on both sides.

Let's walk through an example. You set the variables as follows:

Start: 9 AM
Fade: 1 hour
Duration: 12 hours
Max intensity: 80%

At 9 AM, the lights come on at 1% (actually, a fraction of a percent, since we're working with 255 dimming steps extrapolated to 100 "percents"). They slowly fade up, reaching 80% at 10 AM. At 8 PM, the lights slowly start fading back down, reaching zero at 9 PM.

Again though, I want to emphasize that this is purely the function of the firmware I wrote to test the device. People can write code to get it to fade or otherwise alter the signal in any manner you can realistically describe, and I'm planning on adding some additional functionality over time as well.

Unread 09/08/2010, 09:46 AM   #121
XSiVE
Registered Member

DWZM;

Am I reading this right that you will only be releasing the design, specs, etc so that we, if we choose to utilize this design will need to find our own method of acquiring a board with the specified layout and components?

XSiVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2010, 10:04 AM   #122
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Effectively yes, I am releasing the design and firmware under an open source license. I'm not in this commercially.

That said, since I have to buy the prototype for each version of the board in bulk, I will likely have a pile of them sitting around at any point in time. So if people want to play with one I can probably help out some way or another, but we should take that to PM.

Unread 09/13/2010, 11:26 AM   #123
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Ok, I made a google code site to hold the project and uploaded the current prototype version. People who have the prototype PCBs can look here for documentation and to find the bill of materials:

http://code.google.com/p/typhon-reef/

Unread 09/13/2010, 11:33 AM   #124
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

For those not familiar with google code, click the "source" tab at the top of that web site, then click the "Browse" link near the top. This will give you a tree view of the svn repo used to store the files for this project. Expand the trunk directory, then either hardware or software, and you'll see folders containing the actual guts of the project. In hardware there's a folder called typhon which contains the Eagle files for the hardware. In software, there's a folder called typhon which contains the Arduino sketch for the example firmware I've been discussing so far. It relies on a few libraries, the URLs you can get the libraries from are in the comments at the top of the sketch. Lemme know if there are any questions.

Again, this is still very much a prototype stage for this project, but at this point, people can look at or use the docs to create their own if they wish.

Unread 09/13/2010, 01:59 PM   #125
inky
Registered Member

DWZM, you put a lot of effort (and time) in to this, it is appreciated by those of us who don't have much time to design the stuff.

Ian

Oh, got the driver boards made that I PM'd you about Thanks

inky is offline   Reply With Quote