Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Marinemom
Registered Member

Question Copperband butterfly fish-reef safe or not

O.K. What's the scoop on a copperband butterfly fish? Are they reef safe or not? Some people say yes, some people say no, some say it is 50/50. So which is it?

I was going to buy a small tang for my reef which I have not done yet, but I decided I like the copperband butterfly fish too which I had not even considered until some aptasia has shown up in my tank. I hear they like to eat this. If so, what else do they like to eat? Will he get to big for my system? I have a 60 gallon reef that has been set up for 6 months. I haven't seen any aptasia until now so my peppermint shrimp must be dead. I'm not that fond of the peppermints anyway.

Please help me out on this one. I don't want the aptasia to get out of control and I saw a pretty copperband but I'm not sure wheather or not to get him.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Marinemom

Marinemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

I've had two in my 400 G tank and haven't seen them bother any corals. They mostly eat stuff they pick from the rocks including apstaia. I have also seen mine eat small pellet foods. Thye are hard to get to eat but once they are eating, you should be fine. I currently don't have any zoa's in my tank so I'm not sure if they would bother them.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Bebo77
Premium Nonpaying Member

i have zoas they dont bother them.. they are reef safe IMO

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal Envision Tank(98Lx30Wx26T) 120 Gal SoCalCreations Sump, Deltec TC2560, 2 LumenarcsMini 1 Reg on a light mover W Radiums 250& 400, Gallaxy ballasts, Red Dragon 10m3 return W/ 2 WavySeas, 2 6155 Tunze streams
Bebo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 02:55 PM   #4
hgbarwick
Registered Member

I had one and they are reef safe.

hgbarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 03:41 PM   #5
Bambalamb
Registered Member

I've read posts from people with CBBs that said they nipped at some corals, but the majority (IMO) seem to be OK with them. I feel that having one for aiptasia control, as well as Peppermint shrimp, is somewhat hit or miss.
If your main objective is to get rid of the aiptasia, check out the sticky thread with that title. Personally, I have had success using a Kalkwasser and RO water mixture in paste form that nukes them pretty good.

HTH

Bambalamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 03:57 PM   #6
ChickenCannoneer
Premium Member

I have had mine for about 6 months no problems yet.

Tim

ChickenCannoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 04:36 PM   #7
thor32766
Registered Member

the only thing copperbands will mess with that would truly notice is all your feather dusters will dissapear. if you dont mind that, they are a gorgeous fish. Just make sure and get them to eat at the store before you bring it home.

click on my red house to see my tang compound!

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon in Wall!
thor32766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 05:51 PM   #8
TheBadGuy
Registered Member

I went to the pet store today for the express purpose of purchasing one for aptasia as well. I have read allot on both sides of the fence but the lady at the fish store told me once the aptasia is gone, to get him out of there as he would go after corals.

I came home with some peppermint shrimp

Current Tank Info: 125 Gallon, 200 pds Live Rock 6 fish
TheBadGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 07:25 PM   #9
rags111875
Registered Member

in my experience, my cbb mowed down all aiptasia. also got rid of all dusters. hasnt gone near any corals or zoa's. i've had him over a year. took about 2 weeks before it got rid of all the aiptasia (and there was ALOT)

Unread 06/28/2006, 07:51 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

They are a bit variable, but usually don't seem to go after corals. That's "usually", not "never". They're also tough to get eating properly, often dying even in well-run tanks.

Unread 06/28/2006, 08:11 PM   #11
hgbarwick
Registered Member

My copper band ate all the time. He was a modle citizen. I came home one day to find him dead inside my old long tentacled anenome. The anenome was on the power head that my copper band always ate stuff off of, so I guess he went to close. It was back to the LFS for that anenome.

hgbarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 10:07 PM   #12
Marinemom
Registered Member

I think that I'm really giving some serios consideration to this beautiful fish. Sure he may or may not take care of the aptasia but he really is a georgeous fish. I don't know why I did not consider him before. I guess I've been so stuck on getting a tang, like a one track mind.The small shop that has him said if he does not work out they will take him back. I know that tangs are ich magnets. What about these guys? Are they just as bad with the ich and other disease?

Any and all info and advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Marinemom

Unread 06/29/2006, 12:11 AM   #13
ASaleem91
Registered Member

Not trying to hijack your thread or anything but I have a question because I am also thinking about getting a Copperband Butterflyfish. How do Copperband Butterflyfish do in captivity?

Thanks,
ASaleem91

"I'll believe it when I see it"

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef Tank
ASaleem91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2006, 04:00 AM   #14
lux_06
Registered Member

my fish was a real trooper in my first 2 tanks and had some tough moments but taught me so much about fish aclimitization , very hard to get to begin eating indeed... but i got him to eat just took some creative techiques... he didnt bother my corals at all and i was told he would eat any feather dusters so i knew what i was in for...

he got ich with the rest of the tank but survived it.. just leave the lights off while you put the fish in the tank and feed live brine shrimp with tank lights off and room lights on...

lux_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2006, 11:46 AM   #15
Marinemom
Registered Member

Does anyone know what the minimum size tank is for a copperband butterfly fish. I do not want to stuff him into anything that is too small for him.

Thanks in advance.

Marinemom

Unread 06/29/2006, 12:47 PM   #16
bertoni
RC Mod

75g or so is the usual limit I've read.

Unread 06/29/2006, 07:44 PM   #17
Serioussnaps
Registered Member

They have reports of not being reef safe...mine is for 2 and half years....i feed him piscine energetics mysis shrimp enriched in selcon and zoe.....also have a nice fuge teeming with pods for him.........he pecked at one coral...zoa....shook his head fastly like it was poisonous or bad tasting and never packed at another one.....they will knock snails off the glass and eat them if they are very hungry

Serioussnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2006, 07:45 PM   #18
Serioussnaps
Registered Member

Mine has been in a 55g for 2 and half years...it is a she because she has grown but she isnt getting huge...slow growth...she would like about a 75 or a 90g

Unread 06/29/2006, 07:46 PM   #19
Serioussnaps
Registered Member

reef safe ime

Unread 06/01/2015, 02:17 AM   #20
Monchompa
Registered Member

sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but i had the same question and have since bought a butterfly and want the next guy to know..

They will pick at corals and steal food from duncans and anemones. It is best housed in very large reefs, or in peaceful community tanks. It should be kept singly, not with conspecifics or similar butterflyfish, and should not be kept with any stress-inducing fish. Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium.

Unread 06/01/2015, 04:52 AM   #21
Paul B
Premium Member

There have always been a copperband in my tank for about 38 or so years. No problems with them eating any corals.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 09:30 AM   #22
Shawn O
Registered Member

LiveAquaria lists them as 125+gallons. Is this minimum just a caution or "in a perfect world" scenario? Will they do well in a 75 or 90?

Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 09:53 AM   #23
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchompa View Post
sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but i had the same question and have since bought a butterfly and want the next guy to know..

They will pick at corals and steal food from duncans and anemones. It is best housed in very large reefs, or in peaceful community tanks. It should be kept singly, not with conspecifics or similar butterflyfish, and should not be kept with any stress-inducing fish. Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium.
Except some do not eat aiptasia. it is the luck of the draw. Best chances for aiptasia reduction are with the Australian endemic.

Unread 06/01/2015, 11:05 AM   #24
CStrickland
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
LiveAquaria lists them as 125+gallons. Is this minimum just a caution or "in a perfect world" scenario? Will they do well in a 75 or 90?
I think minimum is minimum, the very least, etc. sort of the opposite of perfect world. But LA is just one site, there's always someone who says different.
These are an expert fish, a lot of people have a hard time getting them to eat and keeping them happy in captivity. Paulb is like a double expert so it's no surprise his is thriving in a 100g, but as a noob I wouldn't put a CBB in a tank smaller than the bare minimum and expect a good result because I've read a lot of "my CBB won't eat/ is lethargic/ died for no reason" threads.

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2015, 01:40 AM   #25
Monchompa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post

I say a 90 would be fine, a 75 may be too small for that fish. But if it a reef tank just be aware that they will pick at corals and will be mildly aggressive at times. And just to be clear "picking at corals" does not mean eating them. When A fish picks at a coral they are usually stealing food or eating algae off off them not eating the coral itself.