Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/24/2019, 05:28 PM   #1
whiterushen
Registered Member

Proper Way to Handle SPS corals and SPS frags

New to the hobby--- first time ever caring for SPS corals. I'm assuming the less you handle corals, the better---especially with your bare hands. What is the proper want to handle SPS corals? Bare hands (where they can be exposed to natural oils from your hands?), gloves? Your input is appreciated.

whiterushen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2019, 05:48 PM   #2
outssider
Registered Member

bare hands are fine (rinsed off)…..the less you touch them the better

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2019, 05:55 PM   #3
whiterushen
Registered Member

Thank you outssider

Thanks for the feedback Outssider. Yeah, after reading about how some corals emit potential poisonous slime (I believe the zoas are the most potent), but i've also noticed SPSs do slime a lot at times as well, I was a little nervous for health reasons about handling them. I make sure i wash thoroughly after and i dont touch my eyes, near my mouth, armpits or any vulnerable open avenues that are easier access to the blood stream.

Unread 10/25/2019, 05:36 PM   #4
outssider
Registered Member

I've never had a problem with poisons from acropora. When I said rinse your hands I met before touching them and before sticking your hands in the aquarium. you don't want to introduce pollutants into the tank or on the sps. rinsing after is a good idea also.....

Unread 10/26/2019, 12:37 AM   #5
whiterushen
Registered Member

Ok, that makes sense

Rinsing your hands before touching inside the tank as to not to pollute the tank and corals themselves makes sense. Thank you

Unread 10/26/2019, 06:07 PM   #6
BeachBumm
Registered Bumm

And rinse when you remove because you now have aquarium bacteria , fish poop , fish urine .... and I would keep your fingers out of your mouth until washed !

BeachBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2019, 01:07 AM   #7
whiterushen
Registered Member

Thank you for that info regarding wash right after

My buddy who's been in the hobby 5 yrs actually just asked me today if I've ever looked under a microscope of my tank water...I was like naah. He said it's crazy the amount of bacteria, macro, micro algae and floara that's in tank water--- after he seen that, he rarely stuck his hands inside his tank...lol

Unread 10/28/2019, 05:27 PM   #8
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterushen View Post
My buddy who's been in the hobby 5 yrs actually just asked me today if I've ever looked under a microscope of my tank water...I was like naah. He said it's crazy the amount of bacteria, macro, micro algae and floara that's in tank water--- after he seen that, he rarely stuck his hands inside his tank...lol
there are tons of germs in the air too ! If you have a compromised immune system, you could be in a world of hurt …..

Last edited by outssider; 10/28/2019 at 05:36 PM.
Unread 10/29/2019, 06:18 PM   #9
whiterushen
Registered Member

outsidder, are you a mind reader? wow...thanks for the input

So ironically? I have had a comprimised immune system for the past 4 yrs. Docs cannot figure out what is wrong with me as i deteriorate. I've just been living the best life i can---but getting a lot sicker---im working as long as i can. So i got back in the reef hobby because it preoccupies my time and i love doing it. So without realizing it, this hobby may be potentially very harmful for me with all the bacteria i am exposing myself too. I have a bad infection they cant locate---a lung infection. i struggle with flu like symptoms and being lathargic daily---and my 2 tanks are my only relief in calmness and give me stuff to do during the day the relax my mind.

Unread 11/03/2019, 10:39 PM   #10
A Aaron
Registered Member

Jesus man that sucks. Honestly they sell full length arm gloves. If you are that sensitive to bacteria or anything else just invest some money in the gloves. Honestly I think you would be ok but to be safe wear gloves.

A Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2019, 06:28 PM   #11
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Aaron View Post
Honestly they sell full length arm gloves. If you are that sensitive to bacteria or anything else just invest some money in the gloves.
And what is he supposed to do about the air ???....not breathe ??

Unread 11/04/2019, 07:55 PM   #12
A Aaron
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
So your telling me the bacteria in the water is floating in the air. Yes if you splash it on your face.

Perfect example is the toilet in your house. They all have germs and bacteria and the thought of what’s in the toilet getting in your mouth is disgusting. Yet we all have them just siting open in our homes. We wear gloves when we clean them and that’s it. If you can have a toilet bowl with water and human waste then I think you can have a fish tank if you take precautions when working on it.

Unread 11/04/2019, 07:56 PM   #13
A Aaron
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
Oh yeah what about all the toxic zoas. Fine in the tank. Not when out and handling. And that is a toxin they is known to get aerosol but not if it’s just sitting in the tank.

Unread 11/04/2019, 10:02 PM   #14
outssider
Registered Member

with no immune system, there is enough germs in the air (forget about having an aquarium or a toilet, you could be out in the middle of nowhere) to kill you quick....

Unread 11/05/2019, 12:56 PM   #15
whiterushen
Registered Member

safety practices

I'm taking all the safety precautions when handling or fragging corals. I have gloves, safety glasses ive used at work and a face shield when cutting corals. I havent tried fragging any of my zoas---and i may never do that---just from the toxi potentials from this species.
As far as the air goes--- I believe i am ok for the time being. The stories i have heard where people were maintaing their tanks and their pet or people having a bad reaction and ending up in the ER---most of these cases people were doing extreme actions within their tanks, causing the zoas to get stressed and releasing their toxic protection.
I am hopeful that as long as their in consistancy, stability, and the tank is in normal conditions, the water level toxicity and therefore any air dissipation that can potentially be harmful is kept to a minimum.

Unread 11/30/2019, 11:25 PM   #16
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterushen View Post
So ironically? I have had a comprimised immune system for the past 4 yrs. Docs cannot figure out what is wrong with me as i deteriorate. I've just been living the best life i can---but getting a lot sicker---im working as long as i can. So i got back in the reef hobby because it preoccupies my time and i love doing it. So without realizing it, this hobby may be potentially very harmful for me with all the bacteria i am exposing myself too. I have a bad infection they cant locate---a lung infection. i struggle with flu like symptoms and being lathargic daily---and my 2 tanks are my only relief in calmness and give me stuff to do during the day the relax my mind.
You don't by chance start siphoning by mouth do you on the tanks? That and Palytoxin inhalation are really the only way one could get lung issues.
If you don't mouth siphon or mess & disturb Palys then you must have a different health issue.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2019, 12:02 AM   #17
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

Oh my God how depressing.

gprdypoo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2019, 04:18 PM   #18
whiterushen
Registered Member

Response to Olderreef man

No, I never start my siphoning by mouth--- my water change tube has a self siphon bubble that i squeeze to start my siphoning. No, my health issue has been going on for 4 straight years now---i've only gotten back into the Reef hobby these past 4 months--- i didnt connect my health condition with the reef hobby--- i was only making the comment under the circumstance of---was it a smart thing for me getting back into the hobby with a known comprimised immune system.