Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2018, 10:18 AM   #1776
shih87
Registered Member

I don’t remember I have ever seen a stag horn acropora under LED grow into this beautiful shape from any where else. Excellent work!!!

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 03:24 PM   #1777
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
I don’t remember I have ever seen a stag horn acropora under LED grow into this beautiful shape from any where else. Excellent work!!!
Thanks. It is a hybrid, T5+LED. T5's on for 5 hours daily.

Unread 03/28/2018, 05:36 PM   #1778
glaukos
Registered Member

Maaaaan that fts is awesome
As for the "uglies" I really can't remember a long period of not having at least one of those stubborn "I'm gonna do my thing no matter how well the other corals feel" coral!
I hope the others will not follow that "attitude.
Had the exact same thing happen a couple of years when I used phosphate rx too. Really powerful stuff. At that time I closed my skimmer and started feeding a bit more while at the same time stopped using rx.
It took some weeks but everything came back to normal, except from the ones that initially showed the stn.
Hope everything will go smoothly bud
Keep us updated

Last edited by glaukos; 03/28/2018 at 05:43 PM.
glaukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 04:45 PM   #1779
markalot

Thanks for the well wishes Mike!

I returned to my routine that I was using for over 6 months except for an additional drop of CaNO3 daily. RTN stopped in its tracks, hopefully for good. Who the heck knows what exactly caused it, my guess is the super low PO4.

Blue eyes insisted on getting his picture taken as well.

The SSC is not better, not worse.

The Horrida and Slimer are attempting to grow in front of the pump.

Unread 04/02/2018, 10:01 AM   #1780
reefmutt
Registered Member

Good news! hopefully things will stabilize.
Those stags are brutes that just keep growing! Pretty brutes!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2018, 05:04 PM   #1781
markalot

Thanks Matt.

Top down shows new growth where I took the only frag that lived. More good news.

Unread 04/04/2018, 11:01 AM   #1782
Pife
Registered Member

Hopefully you're in the clear now!

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 02:28 PM   #1783
SawCJack00
Professional Mind Reader

That's great that you stopped the STN, hopefully everything will recover nicely for you!

My build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670607

Don't forget your towel!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
SawCJack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 07:31 PM   #1784
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Hopefully you're in the clear now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawCJack00 View Post
That's great that you stopped the STN, hopefully everything will recover nicely for you!
Thanks to both of you. I don't have pics but I'm happy to announce no change whatsoever. STN stopped and as far as i can tell has not progressed. The little frag is starting to encrust some, though at this rate it will be 2020 or so before it fills the plug.

Once again, doing very little but visiting the tank and making sure equipment is working, plus a regular routine, works wonders.

Unread 04/19/2018, 11:20 PM   #1785
FloformAustria
Registered Member

man i hope your corals will make it!!

at least the RTN stopped...

good luck buddy!!

Cheers

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 06:00 PM   #1786
markalot

Thanks Flo.

It kind of reminds me of, oh, 35 years ago when I was young and dating and that girl said she didn't like me that much. Like I needed to remember those days.

Up yours SSC, I just pretended to like you. Eff you and the horse you rode in on.

Totally over it.

Unread 05/03/2018, 06:25 PM   #1787
markalot

Ok,

thins look to be stable, no more corals showing any new issues, Alk usage remains stable, growth is good.

I increased flow on the right side fo the tank when one of my MP40 baskets died. The Katropora is losing it's nice shape bending with the flow, but colors are rock solid.

I was worried about the Hawkins but it's not shown any adverse reaction to the tank issues.

The Red *cough brown cough* Robin is the last of my 'red' acros.

FTS

Unread 05/04/2018, 09:04 AM   #1788
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I am glad things have turned around for you. I was always curious if the sps would grow towards the increased flow or away.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2018, 09:05 AM   #1789
kevin_e
Registered Member

Maybe I missed it. What led to some of the recent issues?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kevin_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2018, 11:51 AM   #1790
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_e View Post
Maybe I missed it. What led to some of the recent issues?

I'm not 100% sure, can anyone be 100% sure? I started dosing NOPOX to drive down nutrients and try to slow the Xenia. I ever so slowly ramped up the dosing but failed to see some acros becoming stressed.

-or-

The SSC and the Lokani were both every near each other at the center of the tank and there was not a lot of flow in that area. I lost over half of the Lokani and all of the SSC. Flow issue?

I've stopped all NOPOX dosing and am working on improving flow by re-arranging and adding more pumps.

Unread 05/04/2018, 02:07 PM   #1791
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
I am glad things have turned around for you. I was always curious if the sps would grow towards the increased flow or away.
My slimer grows into the flow, even to the point that half the branch dies due to too much flow. Not sure if it varies coral to coral or not.

Unread 05/04/2018, 05:42 PM   #1792
kevin_e
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
My slimer grows into the flow, even to the point that half the branch dies due to too much flow. Not sure if it varies coral to coral or not.
My theory is that higher and more turbulent flow may instinctually mean that there's more open space for growth. IE less competition.

kevin_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2018, 08:27 AM   #1793
EPBen
Registered Member

nice

EPBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 06:18 PM   #1794
markalot

The Lokani has started to RTN again, this might be all I have left.

On the bright side this one has encrusted already. The frag to the right I cut a few days ago, it poofed. Another (not pictured) is still hanging on.

Unread 05/27/2018, 08:04 PM   #1795
Myka
Reefing since '93

Yikes Mark, random RTN is scary as heck! Aside from those two though your tank is looking spot on.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 01:39 AM   #1796
ABzReef
Registered Member

Wow your tank is pretty.

ABzReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 06:00 AM   #1797
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABzReef View Post
Wow your tank is pretty.
Thanks ABz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Yikes Mark, random RTN is scary as heck! Aside from those two though your tank is looking spot on.
Thanks Mindy, nice to see you around.

So let's go through an update. The Lokani refuses to die. I fragged off dead pieces and placed it on top of the dead SSC and I swear it 'caught' RTN and lost another 3 branches, then stabilized. Regardless, it's no longer allowed out of the water, even for 15 seconds to trim a branch. It's back in the back, and this is a bad picture.

Let's see, I got some gumption for about 6 hours to work on the tank and got the following done. I really do have fun when messing with the tank, but it's done better without me armpit deep in it.

Removed any dead corals I was not going to use as a base, plus removed 3 rocks covered in Xenia. Such a nice smell.

Hand pulled another bucket worth of Xenia off back wall. Most is being shaded now and some of the stalks were huge and easy to pull off the rocks.

Scooched the scape back to make more room in the front for flow and light to save a few corals I care about that were getting shaded.

Finally hooked the older MP40 back up with the brand new basket. The old noisy motors are much faster than the quiet drives, this thing moves some water and was probably one of the reasons I had flow issues. The giant Tunze produces more flow on paper but not so much when in the water. I moved it to the back and have it alternating on and off to provide some extra turbulence.

Replaced the T5's, same bulb combo, the Big Ed special, 2 coral+, 2 blue+.

PAR was similar, a little higher (bulbs 14 months old) but boy was it visibly brighter. I suspect they lost some of the green spectra. Raised the fixture 2 inches to compensate.

The tank has been overheating a bit (I alarm at 81, tank reaching 81.5 a few times in this hot weather). My sump fan was on but no air that I could feel. Might have been the metric ton of dust collecting in the grills. Cleaned, and decided to run without a front cover since I could not cut my fingers on the plastic blades. Tanks temp plummeted to the normal 79F in 2 hours. Maintenance, who needs it!

I looked at the box containing the new heater I bought a year ago. Nope, maybe this winter. My intent was to install a backup in case the main heater failed.

KH right at 7.0, a rarity for this tank.

NO3 is 5, down from 10. My CaNO3 mixture is a bit strong so I've stopped dosing until I get near 0 NO3 again.

Pictures next post.

Unread 05/29/2018, 06:46 AM   #1798
markalot

FTS before I scraped the algae from the top. I hadn't cleaned the glass for 2 weeks! Hard core neglect! Please excuse these photos, they are mostly for documenting things and some are not very sharp.

The bright white skeleton is my old Purple Stylo that I lost most of in the first tank crash years ago. My wife, who dislikes my smelly tank, grabbed it and washed it from my bucket of dead corals sitting outside. It makes a nice place to hold a few corals.

This was on a rock in front of the slimer and surrounded by Xenia and daisy polyps. Let's see if I can get a good red from it.

This one used to be red but lost color and seemed to suffer from some melting during my stupid carbon dosing experiment. Has polyp extension during the day and more at night but has a long way to go. I made 2 frags, one died and one looks like crap but is hanging on.

This little Acan is in bad bad shape and was getting shaded. Not sure I can save it but it's got light now, maybe too much.

I have never shown respect for my blueberry capitata. It's green and I have a lot of green, but I think it deserves a spot. On the sandbed, horrible shaded, broken, and every damn piece has grown like crazy.

A lot of green. And again, the Miami Orchid looks best when not taking a picture of the Miami Orchid. Tough beast of a staghorn type acro.

A couple more SPS unshaded. Undata and Bird of Paradise.

Two weeds I like down on the bottom left. Mystic Sunset and spongodes.

Unread 05/29/2018, 06:55 AM   #1799
markalot

I do not understand the horrida. Here it is growing into the dark of the left side of the tank and looking as happy as can be. Does it like lower light? It certainly likes a lot of flow.

And the blue stag, which has never recovered from the first crash. You can see hints of the light blue but it never gets there, yet still grows. It seems to hate competition while the horrida, note small nub on left and in back left, thrives on it.

Red Robin, always looks better from the top but this will have to do. It's listed as more of a staghorn growth form but so far it only wants to grow sideways for me. It gets my respect because this acro has shown it can survive my mistakes.

The rest here are blue LED pics for fun.

Look at the glow of the horrida polyps on the left.

To my eyes the pink milli has a pink glow and the big valida polyps are invisible. The camera sees it differently.

Left to right. Green polyp valids, Pink milli, big valida, sarmentosa (in back), Palmer's blue milli.

Unread 05/29/2018, 08:58 AM   #1800
reefmutt
Registered Member

Still looking fantastic and super mature, Mark.
Fingers crossed on the lokani.
My Red Robin grows with the exact same pattern as yours.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote