Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2014, 08:04 AM   #1
JonV88
Registered Member

Pygmy octopus

So I've been researching pygmy octopuses and have been searching for the ideal aquarium to house one, it would be dedicated to him and his live food (CUC) any ideas on an ideal aquarium for him?? I was looking at the nuvo 10 gal but then decided a 14 gal biocube would probably be better since it's more sealed than the nuvo I would still have to modify either 1 but i've never owned any of these before so I would to hear your guys experience . I currently have a 29 gal nano reef and half much experience in hobby

JonV88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2014, 07:21 PM   #2
JakeMallowFilms
Registered Member

I'm planning on getting a pygmy octopus as well. Where are you planning on buying yours?

JakeMallowFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2014, 07:33 PM   #3
JonV88
Registered Member

I still haven't decided but I'm set on purchasing him where I can see it, I work at my local reef store so he's taking me to his suppliers to see if any of them can get me 1 but not any time soon I want to be well prepared my goal is to have my setup ready and cycled by Jan 1 and then I'll purchase 1

Unread 11/25/2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Fredericks
Registered Member

Any updates on your adventure on pygmies?

Fredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2014, 09:25 PM   #5
JonV88
Registered Member

Nope just got the 14 gal biocube I'm doing a fish less cycle and I don't think I'll be able to get it at at any of our suppliers, I'm going to have to get it online

Unread 11/28/2014, 02:34 AM   #6
Betta132
Registered Member

You will not be able to keep the octopus out of the filter. It'll crawl back there and get into the compartments and probably be shredded in the pump. Gonna need some serious modification. Also, it can probably get up into the light area and zap/roast itself on the lights.
An octopus is hard enough to contain... a pygmy's gonna be near impossible, I'd think.

Unread 01/14/2015, 01:19 AM   #7
wnppmy
Registered Member

I had a Pygmy for its lifespan near a year, as not sure of its age on receipt.

Above info is a concern, but mine stayed out of the filter. It did exploring on the upper level, but later stayed hidden at the bottom. They are nocturnal, mines diet was half dozen hermits or more weekly.

Note I did weigh the top feeder lid down as are known to be escape artists.

Mine is a 14g Nano Tank, quite the rewarding experience having this fella.

Found my Pygmy at a local shop as it came in, purchased this cutie still in the plastic container, $39-$49. Wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUA2B...e_gdata_player

Last edited by wnppmy; 01/14/2015 at 01:28 AM.
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2015, 01:36 AM   #8
wnppmy
Registered Member

For those not catching this, as posted this before.

A rare shot of the Pygmy eating a Hermit.

Turned the light on but as he was eating able to witness this view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cxDn...e_gdata_player

Unread 01/14/2015, 01:46 AM   #9
wnppmy
Registered Member

Another note, before it's passing it slowed down on its meals during his last month.

Having him near a year I should have removed him, but he was left in the tank, perhaps ending as a hermits meal, his original food source!

Unread 02/08/2015, 01:21 PM   #10
TONYSCIA
Registered Member

Cool

I want one.

TONYSCIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 09:32 PM   #11
knap_123
Registered Member

I set up a 2 1/2 gallon for mine . I'm getting it this weekend $20

knap_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 03:11 PM   #12
bluekoi
Registered Member

Where are you getting your octo from?

bluekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 03:22 PM   #13
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

I keep several species of pygmy and dwarf octopuses. After fighting the containment battle for several years (velcro, duct tape, etc.), I finally came up with a tank that has yet to fail. I make my own all glass tanks, but a 10 gal with a tight fitting glass lid works well. I use a canister filter and drill two holes an inch from the top of the tank. The diameter of the holes should be the size of the tubing you use. Take a barbed 90 degree hose coupler that is a tight fit for the hose and push an inch and a half length of hose onto one end. Push the short length of tube through one of the holes that you drilled and then push the second coupler into the other end of the short piece of hose. If the hose is the same diameter as the hole, as you push the couplers into the short tube, it will expand and tightly seal the hole. Repeat for the second hole and you now have u-shaped connectors into and out of the tank. Attach the intake and output hoses from the canister filter along with a spray bar and a water intake filter and you are ready to go. To keep the octous from crawling into the intake filter, I like to use a piece of sponge pushed over it, but some type of filer screen material secured with a rubber band also works. If you need more ventilation, you can cut or drill a hole in the lid and glue some window screen over it.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 06:14 PM   #14
knap_123
Registered Member

Neptunes reef in ga.

Unread 03/06/2015, 10:47 PM   #15
knap_123
Registered Member

Here's my little setup I plan to use for now. [URL=http://s328.photobucket.com/user/knap_123/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150306_212526.jpg.html][/URL ]