Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2006, 12:17 PM   #1
Krustylove
Moved On

Talking Help I.D.ing new horses

I was wondering if any of you guys could help me I.D. my new horses. I just pulled them yesterday at a local wholesaler, it was dark and I couldn't tell that I had not pulled Reidi as I was on the hunt for some females for my “male stag party” of a tank and ended up bringing these gals home instead! The packer charged me for Reidis also, so I was not the only one who missed it. In the sunlight it was hard to miss that these were not Reidi as they have very high crowns! Also I haven't seen any of them eat yet...but the little light gray one started hunting in my tank right away, like 5 minutes after I let her out of the bag! The Red one with Palomino spots doesn’t seem real happy and spends a lot of time up at the top of the tank instead of down at the bottom with the rest of them. I am open to any info you guys have on these new guys because I have only had Reidi. Thanks a bunch.
The red one with the Palomino markings and a high crown is new

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...wSeahorse2.jpg[/IMG]
The white one in the middle is also a new high crown horse as well as the one with the Palomino like markings

Krustylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2006, 09:12 PM   #2
luvabunny
Registered Member

Nice pic, but it really isn't helpful in ID any of the horses. To be honest, I'm not sure which ones we're even supposed to be looking at....

Maybe a few more shots of the specific horses, showing front views, heads, etc...

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 75g bowfront
luvabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2006, 08:57 AM   #3
LisaD
That's not a salmon

Are you sure the one with white markings is not diseased? Please don't take this wrong, but I would not have put new animals from the wholesalers into my display tank. I have had more than one disaster from doing that, and have finally learned to ALWAYS QT seahorses.

My guess is that they could be spinos.

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Krustylove
Moved On

Unhappy

Spinos, what is that? And of course I was stupid and didn't take the 15 minutes to dip or set-up a quarantine tank-I only do that for my paying customers?! It is very tiring to spend the day in L.A. picking up dry goods and livestock at 5 or more locations and then sit in traffic. The place these guys came from does quarantine all their livestock in blue copper. I know that is no guarantee. So O.K.-damage control time. After I have pulled her and properly dipped her, what should I treat her with? What a mess, and I should know better...thanks for your help

Unread 01/16/2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Swanwillow
goby girl

any updates?

Current Tank Info: starting over! 125 gallon. Soon to be home to Blackfoot clowns, A. nigripes
Swanwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 04:13 PM   #6
Krustylove
Moved On

Well, I found out I have H. Combs and some kind of inbreed horse. Everyone is eating-I don't see any scratching or suspicious behavior, however I lost a horse either last night or this morning. I lost a Reidi that was a year old and healthy. It could have been that I feed the tank right before lights out and a bristol worm got him, or all the males fighting for the one and only female in the tank. At any rate I am treating the tank as a precaution with "Stop Parasite". I now have 7 horses in a 29 gallon so am setting up a 20 gallon to move my H. combs into and maybe my H. reidi pair. I have only had a female in the tank since last Monday and on Thursday I noticed one of my males was already pregnant!!! They sure don't waste any time!!!

Unread 01/16/2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Swanwillow
goby girl

imo-thats aLOT of horses for a 29...

Current Tank Info: starting over! 125 gallon. Soon to be home to Blackfoot clowns, A. nigripes
Swanwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 07:15 PM   #8
Krustylove
Moved On

Yha, I know...so I am setting up another tank that will be a fish only system free of bristol worms and hydroids that come along with the beautiful reef set-up I currently have. The four males are a year old-but I know they will not stay medium sized forever and am planning a new home for some of them. I have good filtration and water quality but they are looking to be on top of each other.