Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2006, 10:44 PM   #1
fshkssr
Registered Member

Breeding H. kelloggi?

My LFS just got some tank-raised H. kelloggi and while I was checking them out, I saw a male that kinda looked like it might be pregnant. Anyone have experience with this species? I can't seem to find much basic info on them, much less breeding info. They said their main seahorse person was off for the night and I haven't gotten back in to talk to them yet.

I've only had H. erectus before but I've never tried to breed those. Just wondering if taking the chance on this 'new' species would be worthwhile.

Any info/experience/opinions/whatever?

fshkssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2006, 01:28 AM   #2
pledosophy
Registered Member

There is not alot of info out there on them because almost no one breeds them. I do think if you could breed them there would be a market for you, and you would help to aleviate the WC market.

Since you have experience with erectus the main thing will be finding out if the fry are pelagic or benthic. Then to setup accordingly.

I would have the smaller food sources ready, but they might take to freshly hatched bbs, no way to know for sure from my end.

I think you should do it.

Unread 01/14/2006, 01:50 AM   #3
LisaD
That's not a salmon

are you sure they are kellogi? it's not unusual for seahorse species to be mislabeled. I have heard there are H. kellogi out there, but I don't think I've ever seen one.

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2006, 09:11 AM   #4
fshkssr
Registered Member

kelloggi ID

I'm pretty sure they are, but as I can't find a whole lot of info on them...

They told me at the store that the dealer they got them from sent them as TR H. kelloggi so it wasn't something they just put on the tank themselves. The coronets looked a bit higher than I remember my erectus being and they have black spots all over them that I definately don't remember on the erectus or a kuda collection a friend had when I was in college. Maybe I'll dig up a digital camera and get some pictures.

Unread 01/15/2006, 06:28 AM   #5
LisaD
That's not a salmon

It would be great see pictures. I tried looking them up online with a google image search, but not many of the pics were good, a lot were of preserved seahorses.

Unread 01/16/2006, 09:44 AM   #6
trailer
Registered Member

do you happen to be talking about That Pet Place in Lancaster? i was there a week ago and they had a tank full of Kelloggi. i even asked 3 diff employees if they really were kelloggi and they said yes. they got them from a breeder in FL.

trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 09:52 AM   #7
LisaD
That's not a salmon

There is an importer in Florida that can get pen-raised seahorses from Asia. Wonder if that is them? I don't know of any breeder in Florida that is actually raising H. kelloggi.

Unread 01/16/2006, 11:06 AM   #8
DebsSisterFlo
Registered Member

I was at my favorite lfs yesterday (Green Bay WI) and they had 2 H. Kelloggi in the tank. Just thought I'd let you know.

Current Tank Info: 38g seahorse/reef/community tank & 72g FW.
DebsSisterFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 02:28 PM   #9
seamonkey2
Registered Member

hmm all of the sudden this particular kind of horse shows up all over the place...hmmm

I got 2 pair from my local store, is every body aware that the claim is that this horse grows up to 11 inches!!

that is the main reason I got them, big horses, yeah baby, the biggest one I got so far is about 6" big red

but only time will tell

Jose

seamonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 05:27 PM   #10
DebsSisterFlo
Registered Member

I watched them for a half hour at the lfs... would my 38g be big enough for a pair? They were $45 each if anyone is wondering.

Current Tank Info: 38g seahorse/reef/community tank & 72g FW.
DebsSisterFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2006, 09:06 PM   #11
fshkssr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trailer
do you happen to be talking about That Pet Place in Lancaster?
That's exactly where I'm talking about actually. I haven't gotten back down there yet but I'm thinking about making the trip tomorrow since my messed-up schedule has me off then instead of today. So someone there did confirm it? The person I asked quickly last time I was there was just like, "well, thats what the tag says" and the one who takes care of the tank wasn't there to ask. I'll have to see if the daddy is still in there somewhere.

Thats really strange that this species seems to be popping up now. I haven't been able to find info or even decent pictures anywhere when I saw these and now more stores are showing up with them. Maybe my bargibanti and breviceps will get more popular now, I love those guys!

Unread 01/16/2006, 10:42 PM   #12
Samala
Registered Member

Interesting.. I would think H. kelloggi, if they get to their max wild size in captivity, would want a pretty big tank, near the order of H. abdominalis. Are they cold water as well I wonder?

That said, TPP doesnt have the greatest track record with SH ID.. they've had reidi they said were erectus, and kuda they had claimed before were barbouri. Who knows. If they are in that single tank near the live rock I would quarantine them for a very very long time. That tank has been setup for SH holding for awhile now, and the horses, even if TR or pen raised, will have been exposed to everything the WC and CB horses that were there before came in with. Pick up some meds while you're in the store. I would.

>Sarah

Unread 01/21/2006, 06:03 PM   #13
BruceW
Registered Member

Someone has made a big import of these H. kelloggi and they are all over right now. There is no info anywhere that I can find on breeding this species. I did hear from someone in Thailand that they were commonly for sale in that country. I went round and round with my friend who has purchased 7 of them as to their postive ID.
Doing some research on the differences between them and kuda produced only two key differences. One the kelloggi have a very small 5 pointed crown and the top of the kuda crown is somewhat flat. Two, kelloggi average 40 tail rings and kuda 36.
They have a bigger range then most seahorses and are found in much deeper waters.
So far my friends says that they are very healthy and great eaters. She also says that they are very active. Other then that we will have to wait and see about breeding them in captivity.

Bruce

BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2006, 01:19 AM   #14
pledosophy
Registered Member

Hi Bruce, welcome to RC!

How long have you been breeding seahorses?

Unread 01/22/2006, 11:42 AM   #15
BruceW
Registered Member

I have specialized in seahorse breeding for the last 3 years. I am now working with my 3rd generation erectus and also have capensis. In the past I have kept barbs, H.comes and kuda. I am a moderator on Syngnathid.org and a lifelong fish breeder. Oh and I hope to someday have a reef tank if I ever can find the space, time, electrical outlets and $$$.

Bruce

BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote