Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2017, 03:06 PM   #1
winterpeg
Registered Member

Need comment 250g aquascaping

Just did some aquascaping

Need some comments on my 250g tank

It 7 feet long x 24 wide x 30 heigh

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 04:44 PM   #2
Indymann99
Registered Member

I would change the "island" in the center, looks too square. I would take the upper left most rock and put it on top to make that "island" higher than the rest. Do note that having the rock lean on the back wall will make cleaning back there difficult.

What power heads you planning on and where you going to place them?

Unread 10/21/2017, 05:30 PM   #3
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymann99 View Post
I would change the "island" in the center, looks too square. I would take the upper left most rock and put it on top to make that "island" higher than the rest. Do note that having the rock lean on the back wall will make cleaning back there difficult.

What power heads you planning on and where you going to place them?
Looking to get the maxspec gyro

Thanks for input

Unread 10/21/2017, 05:32 PM   #4
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
Looking to get the maxspec gyro

Thanks for input

As for the leaning on the glass no need to clean it as all my rock is up on it.

Unread 10/21/2017, 07:51 PM   #5
Reefpuck
Registered Member

With that long of a tank...I'd want more of a predominant looking trench/valley. Just my .02.

Nevertheless...I'm jealous...that's my dream tank.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 09:46 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Aquascape is really a personal choice based on what appeals aesthetically. I have a tank this size and my corals overgrew it in less than 3 years. Note to self to use less rock next time.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 04:45 AM   #7
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Aquascape is really a personal choice based on what appeals aesthetically. I have a tank this size and my corals overgrew it in less than 3 years. Note to self to use less rock next time.
100% some good advice there

Owner Hidden Treasure Corals LLC
Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 02:04 PM   #8
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Thanks

Just looking to make sure it looks ok.

I understand personal pref. But got advice one rock structure was to close to other so I opened it up.

Unread 10/22/2017, 02:08 PM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

Aesthetics is a personal choice agree, but there is something to it as far as keeping from having dead spots(Yours is bunched close to glass in back which may be hard to get) and cleaning.

I also prefer it not to be all the same level, but again personal choice there.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 02:41 PM   #10
ReefBum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer40b View Post
100% some good advice there
Ditto on these comments

Current Tank Info: Eurobraced 187g Low Iron Glass Tank
ReefBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 03:25 PM   #11
10Seconds
Registered Member

I like some various levels in the tank too. And I dont typically leave pieces stranded by themselves either. But just one guys opinion

10Seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 04:45 PM   #12
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Aesthetics is a personal choice agree, but there is something to it as far as keeping from having dead spots(Yours is bunched close to glass in back which may be hard to get) and cleaning.

I also prefer it not to be all the same level, but again personal choice there.

This

With your rocks against the back, it will be impossible to avoid fairly large areas of little to no flow. That will trap detritus and end up being an issue down the road.

Also - are your rocks on top of the sand? Stacking them the way you have them will create the possibility (probability?) of rock slides as fish and other critters dig down into the sand.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 04:53 PM   #13
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
This

With your rocks against the back, it will be impossible to avoid fairly large areas of little to no flow. That will trap detritus and end up being an issue down the road.

Also - are your rocks on top of the sand? Stacking them the way you have them will create the possibility (probability?) of rock slides as fish and other critters dig down into the sand.
Not much sand in the back.

Plus I really wiggled them around to get them down to glass.

Unread 10/23/2017, 08:31 AM   #14
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

I like to have shaded areas under rocks and so do my fish. Check my homepage. Fish can go from one end to another under cover. I think you need at least some area they can hang out and not be in the light.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 09:01 AM   #15
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
Not much sand in the back.

Plus I really wiggled them around to get them down to glass.

As well I'm placing 2 maxspec gyro on the back of the tank not the sides.

Unread 10/23/2017, 10:06 AM   #16
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I want to expand on what Simon said (har har)

Aquascaping is definitely personal preference but there are basic usability and longevity concerns that are often overlooked. For me, they really fall in to two categories.

First, maintenance. Does your scape allow for good flow, given the pumps or powerheads you are using? Can you reach all areas of the tank? Even if you don't want to clean the back glass, what if you drop a frag or tool behind the rocks - can you reach it? Are there areas where detritus will collect? Not always a bad thing if it's accessible with a siphon hose, sometimes it's convenient to have it all blow to the same spot.

The second concern is perhaps more important but less often emphasized. How long will you keep the tank? How much coral are you expecting? 99% of people posting or commenting on Aquascaping threads seem to forget that corals take up room. This has a visual impact - coral in a mature tank can be half or two thirds of the visual weight - so if you're considering shape or size of the rocks, you should build half of what you eventually want in terms of visual impact. The coral growth has an impact on maintenance, too. My current tank is only an 18" cube, and it's only been up for 6 months, but there are already several spots where the SPS have grown enough that my scraper can't reach to the bottom of the glass any more. I wish I had kept the rock back from the glass a few more inches to allow room for coral.

So, yes, it's personal preference, but you want to temper that with the full grown look of the tank, too.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 12:39 PM   #17
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

As a previous owner of a 7' long 400 G tank, I offer the following.
Are you planning on any large show piece fish? If so, then you may want to rethink the rock work. As they get larger, they need more room to swim.
Even smaller fish like angles and tangs like swimming room.

On my tank, I basically put a large island near each end, rising up to the top of the water. I then had a middle island of lower rock. Gave plenty of room for corals to grow and fish to swim. On the islands, think of incorporating "shelves" to place your corals on.

Good luck.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 12:41 PM   #18
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
As a previous owner of a 7' long 400 G tank, I offer the following.
Are you planning on any large show piece fish? If so, then you may want to rethink the rock work. As they get larger, they need more room to swim.
Even smaller fish like angles and tangs like swimming room.

On my tank, I basically put a large island near each end, rising up to the top of the water. I then had a middle island of lower rock. Gave plenty of room for corals to grow and fish to swim. On the islands, think of incorporating "shelves" to place your corals on.

Good luck.
Thanks as you can see from the side there is plenty of room for a large fish to swim

Thanks for info

Unread 10/23/2017, 07:51 PM   #19
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Define large.
My male Naso tang I had in my reef was over 12" long not counting his 4" streamers. My majestic angel was pushing 7".
So depending on which fish you plan to have will dictiate how much room they need to swim and turn around.
My tank was 30" wide and I had at least 18" of room between the rock/corals and the front glass. But my tank was also 36" tall so that helped with swimming room.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Unread 10/23/2017, 08:26 PM   #20
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Define large.
My male Naso tang I had in my reef was over 12" long not counting his 4" streamers. My majestic angel was pushing 7".
So depending on which fish you plan to have will dictiate how much room they need to swim and turn around.
My tank was 30" wide and I had at least 18" of room between the rock/corals and the front glass. But my tank was also 36" tall so that helped with swimming room.
Thanks for the advice.

I should have enough room for fish to turn around.. the far right has plenty of room.

The left has good amount as well.

My left structure only goes half way..

Unread 10/23/2017, 08:48 PM   #21
lionfish300
Registered Member

If I may say with your rocks stacked up again the back there no flow can get thru. That is how everyone does it back in the 80. We learned from the old days that is why just about everyone is feel negative about your back of the tank

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 08:58 PM   #22
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

If he puts pumps back there to move water, he should be OK. Been there done that.

Best quote ever!

Unread 10/24/2017, 06:58 PM   #23
Fish'InMN
Premium Member

It's still two or three times as much rock as needed depending on what coral and fish will be added. And how long until you want to upgrade again.

Fish'InMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 07:32 PM   #24
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish'InMN View Post
It's still two or three times as much rock as needed depending on what coral and fish will be added. And how long until you want to upgrade again.
So how many pounds of rock do you think for 250g

And upgrade again don't think so it's in wall no more room. Need new house

Unread 10/24/2017, 07:32 PM   #25
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
If he puts pumps back there to move water, he should be OK. Been there done that.
Thanks