Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2012, 11:25 PM   #1
JAStoodz
Registered Member

160 60x24x26 Gallon Mixed Reef Build

I have used this site to retrieve a lot of information and also as a place to gain a lot of great ideas. I have been in and out of the hobby for the past 3 years. My first tank was a budget built 180 gallon mixed reef which for the first few months went great. Unfortunately 6 months in disaster struck and a large crack developed in the glass, somehow the tank did not leak or drain completely. I decided it was clearly unfit to keep up and took the tank down. After a short time out of the hobby I have decided I miss it enough to start over again and build another tank. After a lot of thought I have settled on a mid-size tank that will allow me to grow into, but not bog me down with too much maintenance. Here is what I have come up with:

The stand will be custom made by a friend who works in a cabinet making shop. It will be build to 34" high to bring the aquarium up to a nice and easy viewing height. And even with the AI SOL lighting I have decided to have him build a 14" tall canopy.

Aquarium: 160 Gallon 60x24x26 Custom Perfecto, Single Corner Overflow. Really want this to be fully viewable from the front and left sides.

Lighting: 4x Ai Sol Blue LED's

Powerheads: 2x MP40W

Protein Skimmer: Trigger Systems Bursa

Sump: Trigger Systems Ruby Elite 36x18x15

Controller: ReefKeeper Elite W/ Net

I already have purchased the controller, a new RO/DI unit, and 130 pounds of dry pukani rock from BRS.

I am planning on ordering the tank next week and beginning this journey. The biggest regret I have from my last build was not documenting enough of what I had done. With this build I am fully planning on updating regularly and keeping a lot of pictures.

Please feel free to leave any comments and give any advice, I appreciate any feedback that is given to me.

Thanks!

JAStoodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 07:46 AM   #2
lotusstar
Registered Member

Great build I'm planning My next system with almost the exact same dimensions. Look forward to seeing this for sure.

lotusstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 01:14 PM   #3
pgr11
Registered Member

Looking forward to pics. Tank should be nice. I just got som ai sol as well for my new tank

pgr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2012, 07:56 PM   #4
JAStoodz
Registered Member

Aquascape

Well, in anticipation for the tank to arrive I figured I would give a quick update. I spent a few hours today aquascaping. I am by no means a very creative aquascaper and with my past two tanks have done the old rock wall method of stack and go. This is my first real attempt at an aquascape like this.

I laid out a template and laid out the rock and began to build what I had in my mind. I really wanted to go for a three island look with shelves and plenty of swim through spots for fish.

All rocks were attached using E-Marco mortar, this was very easy to work with.

Here's what I started with: 100lbs BRS Pukani, 30lbs Marco Shelf

And Partially through my right island:

And my "Finished" product. Still need to do the left island(no, that isnt what it is going to look like =])

Let me know what you think!

I am getting antsy, really excited to get my tank in a couple weeks!

Unread 03/04/2012, 07:57 PM   #5
JAStoodz
Registered Member

You can see right where the tank is going to that last picture, It is going where that toy chest is in the background. The wall there is 27" Deep and 64" Long, the stand and canopy with crown molding will fit perfectly on that wall!

Unread 04/08/2012, 06:44 PM   #6
JAStoodz
Registered Member

Update

There have been a few changes since I last updated this thread.

For starters, there has been a change in size of the actual aquarium. I will be getting a 185 gallon 60x24x30, hopefully within the next two weeks.

I also had a change of plans in the lighting and I have been working on a DIY LED rig for this tank.

I started by ordering two 8.46" x 28" heatsinks. Attached to these heatsinks are 96 LED's total with a ratio of 2blue:1white. I have 9 meanwell dimmable drivers attached in total, these will be wired in to an ALC module for my ReefKeeper.

Here are a few pictures of the nearly completed project, just a few wires to tidy up.

This is the box which I used to conceal all of the drivers, two medusa cable organizers, and two 6 strip outlets.

Next is the actual lighting unit itself

And this is the method I used to set as a quick connector for the leds. Two 37 pin dsub adapters, it was a blast getting these soldered

I was able to get the drivers set to 800ma, and plugged everything in for a test run. Luckily for me everything worked with the first attempt! I bet the neighbors though it was strange seeing our house glowing blue