Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2017, 06:36 PM   #4926
GfordQC
Registered Member

Orcus,

How did you transition your reef to using the T5's? I'm looking to add 4 T5 at the beginning of the new year and was wondering how you acclimated everything.

Build Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600702
GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 10:11 PM   #4927
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfordQC View Post
Orcus,

How did you transition your reef to using the T5's? I'm looking to add 4 T5 at the beginning of the new year and was wondering how you acclimated everything.

If switching from the AB+ full power profile I would switch to my t5ho profile and add 1 bulb a week over a month. When I made the change I just kind of switched thinking everything would be okay since PAR was roughly the same. Well that was a bad idea, I lost some corals and bleached others. I think the downfall was I failed to take into account that even though PAR was the same coverage was worlds better. In essence previously shaded regions of my corals were suddenly blasted with way more PAR then they were used to and they bleached out. After the initial adjustment period though I must say that I couldn’t be happier with the results. Just take it slow and you’ll be alright!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 10:23 PM   #4928
Kinetic
Registered Member

Just took some PAR readings with my AI Hydra 52 HD, with the SPS AB+ high power (w/ peaks) program that Orcus had posted, with one modification. I increased the whites by a lot (probably bumped them up to twice as much as the baseline).

I have no corals (yet), and just anemones. The H. Magnifica is getting toasted with over 400! It hasn't moved from the pedestal rock I made for it, and the lighting probably has a lot to do with it. When I introduced it to the tank, I put it right where it is today, and it hasn't moved since.

The BTAs I'm guessing are pretty happy. The flow is a bit strong for them, but light seems to be enough.

My whites are bumped high because I subjectively like the aesthetics of the lights to be less blue. Still plenty of color and coolness to the tank, but my home office still looks nice.

When I get SPS, I'm going to probably have to modify the whites... since they may just totally burn the SPS up. Or do you guys think they'll be fine with slow acclimation?

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 05:09 AM   #4929
GfordQC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
If switching from the AB+ full power profile I would switch to my t5ho profile and add 1 bulb a week over a month. When I made the change I just kind of switched thinking everything would be okay since PAR was roughly the same. Well that was a bad idea, I lost some corals and bleached others. I think the downfall was I failed to take into account that even though PAR was the same coverage was worlds better. In essence previously shaded regions of my corals were suddenly blasted with way more PAR then they were used to and they bleached out. After the initial adjustment period though I must say that I couldn’t be happier with the results. Just take it slow and you’ll be alright!

Sounds good! I will definitely do that. Thank you for your efforts on this thread. I think it has been a benefit for everyone with hydra lights for sure.

Build Thread:
Unread 11/13/2017, 05:17 AM   #4930
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Just took some PAR readings with my AI Hydra 52 HD, with the SPS AB+ high power (w/ peaks) program that Orcus had posted, with one modification. I increased the whites by a lot (probably bumped them up to twice as much as the baseline).

I have no corals (yet), and just anemones. The H. Magnifica is getting toasted with over 400! It hasn't moved from the pedestal rock I made for it, and the lighting probably has a lot to do with it. When I introduced it to the tank, I put it right where it is today, and it hasn't moved since.

The BTAs I'm guessing are pretty happy. The flow is a bit strong for them, but light seems to be enough.

My whites are bumped high because I subjectively like the aesthetics of the lights to be less blue. Still plenty of color and coolness to the tank, but my home office still looks nice.

When I get SPS, I'm going to probably have to modify the whites... since they may just totally burn the SPS up. Or do you guys think they'll be fine with slow acclimation?

I have unfortunately never been able to acclimate sps to more then 24-25% whites even with a slow acclimation. The Cree XP2 Cool White diodes are very hard on sps for some reason. I like you much prefer a color temp closer to 10k, the way I achieved this was by adding some Geissmann tropic 6500k & ATI Coral Plus t5 supplements.

By the way you have a darn nice setup, looks fantastic. I can’t wait to see that mag literally take up the entire tank!!!

Unread 11/13/2017, 05:19 AM   #4931
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds good! I will definitely do that. Thank you for your efforts on this thread. I think it has been a benefit for everyone with hydra lights for sure.

You are very welcome! I thank you and everyone else for participating and keeping this thread going for so long.

Unread 11/13/2017, 09:31 PM   #4932
Reeftub
Registered Member

I just wish they had an upgrade from hydra52 to the hd as I have 6 -52s over my 190 and I’d have to sell my 52s to buy the new HD’s which sucks but I’ll wait until they change the white leds and also add warm whites like the radions. I’m sure that will be next for these guys.

Reeftub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 10:14 PM   #4933
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeftub View Post
I just wish they had an upgrade from hydra52 to the hd as I have 6 -52s over my 190 and I’d have to sell my 52s to buy the new HD’s which sucks but I’ll wait until they change the white leds and also add warm whites like the radions. I’m sure that will be next for these guys.

As AI are owned by Ecotech now I would definitely expect a lot of similarities between the Radion G4 and next generation hydras. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they merged the two brands keeping the hydra moniker as a mid range lighting brand. The addition of some warmer white diodes I have to agree would be wonderful. Something around 6500k would be ideal imo!

Unread 11/14/2017, 03:26 PM   #4934
d3nrh
Registered Member

Hi Orcus,

i realy like you SPS AB+ settings and they work very well . I'm running 3 Hydra 26 HD on a Reefers 525xL.

I would like to add a Bluelight Phase for 2-3 Hours to have great fluorescent look in the very late evening. Do you have any suggestions how this will not stress out the corals and what would be the best fluorescent settings you can recomment ?

I have tryed a lot of times, but to get the very good fluorescent look i have to much lightblue what will make the water shine to much.

Many thx for awnsers ,
greatings from germany
Mike

Some Picture of my Tanks:

d3nrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 03:31 PM   #4935
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
As AI are owned by Ecotech now...
Didn't know that until now lol

Are you guys turning your Red and Green settings to 0%? From a lot of online sources, it says to turn them down to 0% on the display tank because it promoted algae growth.

What are people doing with this?

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 06:21 PM   #4936
rishma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post

Are you guys turning your Red and Green settings to 0%? From a lot of online sources, it says to turn them down to 0% on the display tank because it promoted algae growth.

No, I turn them up with white to get the look I want. I always assume Algae is a nutrient problem not a light problem. Not many watts of red/green to worry about.

rishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 06:27 PM   #4937
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post

I’m with @rishma nutrients cause algae not light imo. I think the red and green channels are essential for proper chromatoprotien formation and zooxanthella health. Most of our corals are from less then 20’ of water. As such they get plenty of this wavelength light in their natural environment.

Unread 11/14/2017, 06:30 PM   #4938
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Leaving the blues on 5% or less for a few hrs at the end of the day shouldn’t be an issue.

Unread 11/14/2017, 08:01 PM   #4939
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

One of those rare photos where everyone’s posing!

Unread 11/15/2017, 12:14 PM   #4940
GfordQC
Registered Member

Orcus,

What is the height of your lights off the water now that you added T5?

Thanks

Build Thread:
Unread 11/15/2017, 09:46 PM   #4941
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Orcus,

What is the height of your lights off the water now that you added T5?

Thanks

About 14”

Unread 11/27/2017, 09:50 AM   #4942
dxdoan
Registered Member

hi all,
I just purchased a used AI Hydra 26 HD
I would like to connect it through the web so that I can upload profiles from other reefers.
It says that "Device with serial number XXXXXXX is already registered."
If I contact the previous owner can they de-register to allow me to add? Or will it stay on their account which will require me to ask for their user name and password? (ask them to change their password of course).
Thanks guys!

Current Tank Info: Cade HL1500 (5FT) - 160G/650L
dxdoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 10:22 AM   #4943
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdoan View Post
hi all,
I would like to connect it through the web so that I can upload profiles from other reefers.
If I contact the previous owner can they de-register to allow me to add? Or will it stay on their account which will require me to ask for their user name and password? (ask them to change their password of course).
Thanks guys!
you have to ask the previous owner to remove the device from his myAI account.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 02:34 PM   #4944
SGT_DAO
Registered Member

I've acquired a Prime (Non HD) and currently running a Hydra 26 (Non HD). Not sure if this question has been asked, but I plan on using the Prime for my fuge (Overkill....I know) so is there a way to run opposite photoperiods or would have to get another director?

SGT_DAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 03:56 PM   #4945
qfrisco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_DAO View Post
I've acquired a Prime (Non HD) and currently running a Hydra 26 (Non HD). Not sure if this question has been asked, but I plan on using the Prime for my fuge (Overkill....I know) so is there a way to run opposite photoperiods or would have to get another director?

I'm about to install a Vega over my refugium, so no, I don't think using a Prime for your fuge is overkill. :-)

I believe the only way to have your Prime run on a different schedule from your Hydra 26 is to setup a separate tank within your Director. I have a second tank setup within my Director called Refugium and have discovered the Vega for that tank. You can then setup a schedule that is opposite your display tank's schedule. The Director supports multiple tanks so no need to get another Director.

qfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 07:01 PM   #4946
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdoan View Post
hi all,
Thanks guys!

Can call AI as well I had them switch a second hand light I bought on the forums last year.

Unread 11/29/2017, 07:07 PM   #4947
SGT_DAO
Registered Member

Thanks Frisco!

SGT_DAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2017, 02:19 PM   #4948
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

So I changed from an ledzeal Zeus unit to a hydra 26 hd today and the disco effect on the wall behind my tank and the roof above it is horrendous. What's that all about? The light is 8" above the water line on a 2ft cube. The surface water isn't still but it's not rippling like crazy either as I have a single vortech mp10 for my anemone cube.

Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2017, 08:25 PM   #4949
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfer View Post
So I changed from an ledzeal Zeus unit to a hydra 26 hd today and the disco effect on the wall behind my tank and the roof above it is horrendous. What's that all about? The light is 8" above the water line on a 2ft cube. The surface water isn't still but it's not rippling like crazy either as I have a single vortech mp10 for my anemone cube.

Raise the light up to 12-14” above the water line. It greatly reduces the disco effect while still retaining decent shimmer.

Unread 11/30/2017, 11:10 PM   #4950
BAR reject hehe
Registered Member.

anybody running the David Saxby light schedule with peaks and dips throughout the day?

BAR reject hehe is offline   Reply With Quote