Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2009, 07:29 PM   #51
luther1200
Premium Member

Well I blasted a few Acro's today and I think I saw 1 fly off of my ATL Crayola Plana. But I am not positive, another Milli I basted looked like stuff was flying off but it could have been anything really. How can you tell for sure you are getting them?

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
luther1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2009, 07:44 PM   #52
plyle02
Registered Member

Blast the corals at night, the AEFW seem to be more active during this time. If you found 1, quite sure you will find more. Good luck, keep us posted.

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2009, 07:48 PM   #53
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fishkeeper View Post
I know we just had Joe at our local reef club meeting give a talk. You can find his thread on here the 20,000 gallon tank. But he said something that made me think. The use of fresh water while blasting them. Suck up some RODI water in your turkey blaster and blow off your corals then. The change in water pressure will blow them off and also can kill them at the sametime. Maybe someone can shed more light on this way.
Iteresting thought, I can tell you they die pretty instantly when I put them into contact with tap, RO/DI probably a bit more harsh, if I were to guess. You need RO/DI to top off anyway, might be worth a shot... I have heard of RO/DI dips for corals, for a very quick, like 10 second period of time, but heard it is a last resort too, very harsh on corals. I am not really ready to go to that extreme, other issues I would like t resolove first, lol...like red turf algae...ugh..

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 11/28/2009, 06:53 AM   #54
Ricunger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Iteresting thought, I can tell you they die pretty instantly when I put them into contact with tap, RO/DI probably a bit more harsh, if I were to guess. You need RO/DI to top off anyway, might be worth a shot... I have heard of RO/DI dips for corals, for a very quick, like 10 second period of time, but heard it is a last resort too, very harsh on corals. I am not really ready to go to that extreme, other issues I would like t resolove first, lol...like red turf algae...ugh..

+1 on the RO/DI water stunning the AEFW. I have had them and basting them seemed to be a temporary fix to the situation. I was having problems with the tank thank I'm sure also affected the situation. I have heard that when basted off it takes the AEFW a long time to find a coral again. Could possibly outlast the AEFW's life cycle.

Does anyone know what the life cycle of AEFW is? I have removed all sps from my new display and are in QT. I am sure they are in the rock, sand, etc. just wanted to know if i have no sps in the tank, what duration can i expect to see them eradicated from my system?

Ricunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2009, 07:51 AM   #55
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricunger View Post
+1 on the RO/DI water stunning the AEFW. I have had them and basting them seemed to be a temporary fix to the situation. I was having problems with the tank thank I'm sure also affected the situation. I have heard that when basted off it takes the AEFW a long time to find a coral again. Could possibly outlast the AEFW's life cycle.

Does anyone know what the life cycle of AEFW is? I have removed all sps from my new display and are in QT. I am sure they are in the rock, sand, etc. just wanted to know if i have no sps in the tank, what duration can i expect to see them eradicated from my system?

Ric,I would count on 4 to 6 weeks to be safe.they would be starved out by then.the tank has to be completely acro free for that to work effectively.
good luck man

TOTM December 2010
Coral Magazine Sept/Oct 2012

Current Tank Info: 180 gal SPS dominated display, 3 X 250 watt Radiums , lumenarc III minis , with VHO actinics, ETS downdraft skimmers, closed loops and 2 Tunze 6105 & 7095 controller,DIY calcium reactors DIY custom built sumps,since 1992
rigleautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2009, 08:32 AM   #56
Ricunger
Registered Member

Thanks Dan! 4-6 it is... Then i will be ready for Rigle frags!

Unread 11/29/2009, 07:17 PM   #57
luther1200
Premium Member

I said it on a few other threads already, but I found out for 100% that I have AEFW today. I dipped a heavily infected Milli in Seachem coral disinfectant in a white bowl and after I was done there they were at the bottom. I dipped the Milli and a green polyp Birdnest that looked like it had bites. Do AEFW affect birdnest? Because I didn't notice any after I dipped that, but it had wgat definitely looked like bite marks. And the Milli started to produce a mucous or something, it almost looked like the tiny AEFW were disolving or something. I didn't find any huge ones which I contribute to my Sixline Wrasse eating them.

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
Unread 11/29/2009, 08:16 PM   #58
Ricunger
Registered Member

Mine didn't go after my birdsnest and it was right next to the millies. With the thousands of different AEFW it can happen im sure.

Unread 11/30/2009, 10:33 AM   #59
kev apsley
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post

kev apsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 02:14 PM   #60
cobra2326
Registered Member

Birds nest is Seriatopora sp., so I don't think Acropora eating flatworms can affect those.

Does anyone know where to buy fluke tabs at? I've heard that they're discontinued and am having trouble finding them.

Aquatic Log: http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/cobra2326/1
Nuvo Fusion Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2636370

Current Tank Info: Nuvo Fusion 10
cobra2326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 02:57 PM   #61
luther1200
Premium Member

Thats what I thought, but it clearly had bit marks. Don't tell me I have some other pest. What else could leave those kinds of marks? I would have seen RB so I don't think thats it.

Unread 11/30/2009, 04:48 PM   #62
luther1200
Premium Member

I don't know if it helps identify them or not but the ones I saw yesterday were very small and reddish/clear in color. But like I said before my Wrasse could just be eating the larger ones. I actually had the harmless flatworms a while back and never ever saw 1 in my DT, but my fuge was loaded with them. I started dosing a carbon source, AA's, and a bacteria Supplement and they just went away on there own, not so lucky with these guys I guess,lol. Anyway back from my tangent, they definitely had a slight red color to them, and I could barely make them out with a magnifying glass. I actually used a cheapo pocket microscope with 30x magnification to get a good look. Which they were crystal clear with that. But still very small, I would say the size of a ball point pen tip.

Unread 11/30/2009, 07:53 PM   #63
jahorgos
Registered Member

2 major things that I did not see in this post that I feel have been most helpful to me are:

1) http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html
2) Salifert Flatworm eXit

I recently discovered a colony I had bought from a local reefer had AEFW which did not in anyway kill the coral but took away all of its color aside from the polyps which seems to be common. I gave the colony to someone who was already in the quarantine process and was willing to give the colony a chance.

I was very devistated when I found out I had AEFW (in much disbelief as you typically won't know until you take corals out and blast them) as my tank was just filled with frags from SunnyX's beautiful tank http://www.rimlessreef.com

After doing some reading I came across the wonderful log of the experience of melevsreef and this so far is how I have decided to deal with my problem.

First I had one other coral that I expected to have the dreaded worm and dipped it in Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure (an iodine based dip) twice over a 24 hour period and looked for any eggs to scrape off of it. Luckily for me my tank is newer and does not have any really large colonies for AEFW to feed on but as I said before I was devistated that all of my new frags could already be infected.

Not knowing how large my infestation really was I took the necessary precautions before dosing. I prepared for a 15% water change and had ro/di water ready for a second. I also put 1lb of activated carbon in to my dual BRS reactor to run actively as suggested once I saw AEFW death via the instructions recommendations.

I then dosed 50 drops of Salifert Flatworm eXit in to my 100gal and with in 5 minutes saw a few AEFW floating around in my tank. Now according to the directions the carbon is suppose to only help remove the bad chemicals released by AEFW as they die but since it says to turn off carbon until you see them die I was skeptical that the carbon would also hinder the ability of the product to do its job so I closely watched the tank for 30 minutes and realized that the product was doing its job but that my infestation was definitely on the low side. At the 30 minute mark I turned on the carbon reactor and about an hour after that decided to dose 2ml of vodka as an extra carbon boost (because I'm over concerned since the directions say I could need 1 lb of carbon per 50gals of water). After this I continued to monitor my tank for the next 8 hours to check the health of my tank and all of its inhabitants. After 8 hours I realized I would not need to do a water change and that I would rather allow the treatment to stay in my tank (that is if the Carbon doesn't completely clean it out anyways...).

My next plan of action happens in 14 days when I then dose the last of the Flatworm eXit bottle, roughly 50 more drops (I will dose the rest of the bottle up to 75 drops if that much more exists). Ideally any eggs will hatch, a real unknown, and this will help erradicate the last of the AEFW. As long as the death count appears very low I only plan to run 0.5 lbs of carbon afterwards and dosing 2ml of vodka. Then after 24 hours I will do a 15% water change. Of course all of this depends on how my tank health looks.

If all goes well I will continue to watch my frags grow and pay particular attention to color loss. This experience will most definitely impact my awareness of the subject and I do plan on dosing Flatworm eXit down the road in 3 months and probably again 3 months after that. If results are positive then I will probably dose once a year as a proactive way of keeping my tank healthy.

I will update you with my future results. Thanks for everyones input thus far.

jahorgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 08:22 PM   #64
sportzfish
Registered Member

Not trying to be smart or anything but you are sure they were AEFW and not reddish planaria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahorgos View Post
2 major things that I did not see in this post that I feel have been most helpful to me are:

I recently discovered a colony I had bought from a local reefer had AEFW which did not in anyway kill the coral but took away all of its color aside from the polyps which seems to be common. I gave the colony to someone who was already in the quarantine process and was willing to give the colony a chance.

I was very devistated when I found out I had AEFW (in much disbelief as you typically won't know until you take corals out and blast them) as my tank was just filled with frags from SunnyX's beautiful tank http://www.rimlessreef.com

After doing some reading I came across the wonderful log of the experience of melevsreef and this so far is how I have decided to deal with my problem.

First I had one other coral that I expected to have the dreaded worm and dipped it in Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure (an iodine based dip) twice over a 24 hour period and looked for any eggs to scrape off of it. Luckily for me my tank is newer and does not have any really large colonies for AEFW to feed on but as I said before I was devistated that all of my new frags could already be infected.

Not knowing how large my infestation really was I took the necessary precautions before dosing. I prepared for a 15% water change and had ro/di water ready for a second. I also put 1lb of activated carbon in to my dual BRS reactor to run actively as suggested once I saw AEFW death via the instructions recommendations.

I then dosed 50 drops of Salifert Flatworm eXit in to my 100gal and with in 5 minutes saw a few AEFW floating around in my tank. Now according to the directions the carbon is suppose to only help remove the bad chemicals released by AEFW as they die but since it says to turn off carbon until you see them die I was skeptical that the carbon would also hinder the ability of the product to do its job so I closely watched the tank for 30 minutes and realized that the product was doing its job but that my infestation was definitely on the low side. At the 30 minute mark I turned on the carbon reactor and about an hour after that decided to dose 2ml of vodka as an extra carbon boost (because I'm over concerned since the directions say I could need 1 lb of carbon per 50gals of water). After this I continued to monitor my tank for the next 8 hours to check the health of my tank and all of its inhabitants. After 8 hours I realized I would not need to do a water change and that I would rather allow the treatment to stay in my tank (that is if the Carbon doesn't completely clean it out anyways...).

My next plan of action happens in 14 days when I then dose the last of the Flatworm eXit bottle, roughly 50 more drops (I will dose the rest of the bottle up to 75 drops if that much more exists). Ideally any eggs will hatch, a real unknown, and this will help erradicate the last of the AEFW. As long as the death count appears very low I only plan to run 0.5 lbs of carbon afterwards and dosing 2ml of vodka. Then after 24 hours I will do a 15% water change. Of course all of this depends on how my tank health looks.

If all goes well I will continue to watch my frags grow and pay particular attention to color loss. This experience will most definitely impact my awareness of the subject and I do plan on dosing Flatworm eXit down the road in 3 months and probably again 3 months after that. If results are positive then I will probably dose once a year as a proactive way of keeping my tank healthy.

sportzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2009, 07:11 AM   #65
jahorgos
Registered Member

These are certified good old AEFW. This was made clear when I did my first dip and then again after I had a pet store worker and hobbyist confirm the bugs in person. And to make sure nobody comes up with assumptions this infestation had nothing to do with my new frags and did not come from SunnyXs tank.

Unread 12/01/2009, 10:20 AM   #66
JonWu61
Moved On

I have notice all my SPS like millie, valida that having small crabs in there (not the hairy crab) they do not have AEFW in them. I also have couple small millie. Some I got from friends and some that raise as a frag without small crabs in there when I dipped them after I was done I noticed a lot of flat worm coming out. Now I won't remove any small crab in the SPS unless is the hairy crab.

JonWu61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2009, 10:56 AM   #67
sportzfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahorgos View Post
These are certified good old AEFW. This was made clear when I did my first dip and then again after I had a pet store worker and hobbyist confirm the bugs in person. And to make sure nobody comes up with assumptions this infestation had nothing to do with my new frags and did not come from SunnyXs tank.
I have heard that Flatworm Exit did not really work, but in your case it sounds like it did. It would seem a 100 gallon tank would require about 80 drops though according to directions. I always heard it would take typically more Exit than less Exit to do the job.

sportzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2009, 03:26 PM   #68
jahorgos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzfish View Post
I have heard that Flatworm Exit did not really work, but in your case it sounds like it did. It would seem a 100 gallon tank would require about 80 drops though according to directions. I always heard it would take typically more Exit than less Exit to do the job.
Yeah sorry, I did do 100 drops and I meant to add that I would do up to 150 more drops even though the bottle says roughly 200 drops so we'll see whats left after the first 100. I would modify my post but I can't.

Unread 12/01/2009, 03:28 PM   #69
jahorgos
Registered Member

POST UPDATED FOR CHANGES

I was very devistated when I found out I had AEFW (in much disbelief as you typically won't know until you take corals out and blast them) as my tank was just filled with frags from SunnyX's beautiful tank that I did not want to infect http://www.rimlessreef.com

I then dosed 100 drops of Salifert Flatworm eXit in to my 100gal and with in 5 minutes saw a few AEFW floating around in my tank. Now according to the directions the carbon is suppose to only help remove the bad chemicals released by AEFW as they die but since it says to turn off carbon until you see them die I was skeptical that the carbon would also hinder the ability of the product to do its job so I closely watched the tank for 30 minutes and realized that the product was doing its job but that my infestation was definitely on the low side. At the 30 minute mark I turned on the carbon reactor and about an hour after that decided to dose 2ml of vodka as an extra carbon boost (because I'm over concerned since the directions say I could need 1 lb of carbon per 50gals of water). After this I continued to monitor my tank for the next 8 hours to check the health of my tank and all of its inhabitants. After 8 hours I realized I would not need to do a water change and that I would rather allow the treatment to stay in my tank (that is if the Carbon doesn't completely clean it out anyways...).

My next plan of action happens in 14 days when I then dose the last of the Flatworm eXit bottle, roughly 100 more drops (I will dose the rest of the bottle up to 150 drops if that much more exists). Ideally any eggs will hatch, a real unknown, and this will help erradicate the last of the AEFW. As long as the death count appears very low I only plan to run 0.5 lbs of carbon afterwards and dosing 2ml of vodka. Then after 24 hours I will do a 15% water change. Of course all of this depends on how my tank health looks.

Unread 12/01/2009, 04:09 PM   #70
luther1200
Premium Member

I have a whole bottle of FWE. I don't have the other FW's, only AEFW so should I just try it out? What negative affects could it have? The only real harm from it is the toxins the FW's release when they die, right?

Unread 12/01/2009, 06:58 PM   #71
jahorgos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luther1200 View Post
I have a whole bottle of FWE. I don't have the other FW's, only AEFW so should I just try it out? What negative affects could it have? The only real harm from it is the toxins the FW's release when they die, right?
Correct but remember if you have a huge infestation that means you could potentially have a toxic bomb which is why it is recommended to vacuum out all the ones you can see (if you can see them you probably have a huge infestation) and otherwise make sure to have water changes ready and lots of carbon.

Unread 12/01/2009, 07:07 PM   #72
luther1200
Premium Member

Well I can't really see them with the naked eye in the tank. And they are only on my Arco's which I don't have a whole lot of, maybe 8 frags, and 5 small colonies. I only dosicovered I had them after seeing the bite marks then I dipped 1 and saw a few small ones in the dip bowl. But they are impossible to see otherwise. Do AEFW release the same toxins when they die as do the Planaria?

Unread 12/01/2009, 07:43 PM   #73
luther1200
Premium Member

I will continue basting and try the FWE this weekend after I make a bunch of water. But I am pretty sceptical that its going to work. I have heard other people say it has worked for them, but I also heard many say it didn't work at all. Well I guess I will find out.

BTW how often do you baste the corals? I have been doing it daily, is this to often?

Unread 12/02/2009, 12:38 AM   #74
JonWu61
Moved On

Put the crab in your acro you won't have Flatworm.

JonWu61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2009, 08:31 AM   #75
plyle02
Registered Member

Never heard of AEFW releasing toxins after death, I have definitely heard of red planaria releasing nasty toxins that can cause death to the tank if they die in huge numbers. I think it may be important to distinguish the difference between the 2. I do not know FWE to kill AEFW, I think we are mistaken on the identity of the flatworms here.
GL