Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/29/2009, 06:07 PM   #26
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I have read alot of post asking about dips and what "I shold do with new corals". Putting new additions in QT is the best option but for many is not an option. Here is a dip procedure that I have used with great results:

What I do is acclimate for how ever long it takes me to get 5 gal worth of water. Normally that about 2hr. After an hour I add the interceptor. 10x the recommended dosage of .025 gram per 10 gal. So for 5 gal its .125 grams. Add a small powerhead, MJ 400 for me and a heat set to 79 degrees. Put a top on the bucket and set over night for 12 hrs.

After 12hrs is finished, I get one gal of fresh tank water. Remember Corals have already been acclimated and add the Corals. Add my AEFW killer (TMPCC or Revive) for 15 min with a MJ 400. Some time I will use both at different times, NOT TOGETHER. I turkey bast the coral every 5 min too. Just to make sure everything comes off.

After the 15 min, I get one more gal of fresh tank water and raise the coral off in it.Than I look for eggs with a magnifying glass. If I see any worm or eggs, off to the trash they go. If all looks OK than into the tank.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2009, 06:17 AM   #27
Leonardo_
TRC

In addition to Brian, I always snap off the rock where the corals in encrusted on and trow it away. You will lose the encrusted part, but eggs are always on rock or dead skeleton, so the risk of introducing eggs into the system is even smaller then.

Leonardo

Unread 11/01/2009, 09:26 PM   #28
madkeenreefer
Registered Member

I would like to add a pic of a "critter" I found today that was one of three that I removed from an Acro frag that had been loosing tissue over the last 4-5 weeks the loss was rapid to start, then seemed to slow ( at this slowing point I had moved the frag to the bottom of the tank away from the 250w ) I'm not sure if its relevent [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG] I was unable to take better pics of it , but to describe it ,it had a pointy clear tail almost the same lenth as its body which was a transperant darkish brown with darker parts to the head and tail reigion.
the drill bit is for refference it was a 5/64ths

It I belive has been feeding on the acro for over a month now does anyone know what this is. Oh no other Acro frags show signs of damaged tissue

Current Tank Info: 300gl sps shallow reef.
madkeenreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 03:05 PM   #29
snake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Interceptor is really the best treatment out there. If you show the info I posted most vets should be able to help you.
Well I've seen kind of dificult to find interceptor here because seems that this dog desease is not very common here in mexico

but I see that Ivermectin is being used to treat heartworms in dogs also and I'm wondering is this could be or has been used to treat red bugs in corals.

snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 03:58 PM   #30
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Well I've seen kind of dificult to find interceptor here because seems that this dog desease is not very common here in mexico

but I see that Ivermectin is being used to treat heartworms in dogs also and I'm wondering is this could be or has been used to treat red bugs in corals.
The active ingredient in interceptor that kills RB's is Milbemycin Oxime. I have never heard of people using Ivermectin, as interceptor is available state side. If Ivermectin has the active ingredient Milbemycin Oxime in it, it should work. The dosage might change as a large dogs, 51-100lbs tablet of interceptor are just under 1 gram each and contain 23mg of Milbemycin Oxime.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Unread 11/02/2009, 04:59 PM   #31
snake
Registered Member

No Ivermectin does not have the same ingredient but, as seen in this page http://pethealth101.com/heartworm/he...ds_chart.shtml
it is used to treat the same heartworm parasites

Unread 11/02/2009, 05:07 PM   #32
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
No Ivermectin does not have the same ingredient but, as seen in this page http://pethealth101.com/heartworm/he...ds_chart.shtml
it is used to treat the same heartworm parasites
It not that is doesn't kill the same parasites in dogs, there are many meds out there that do. The question is, is it safe for corals and fish.

Unread 11/04/2009, 12:47 PM   #33
crispyreef
Registered Member

A good dip for AEFW is Marine Melafix. I battled them for about a year until I got them out of my tank. They are a definate nightmare. The Melafix is aggressive on pests and does not seem to hurt the coral. I have double dosed and it didn't kill coral. JME

crispyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 02:43 PM   #34
snake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyreef View Post
A good dip for AEFW is Marine Melafix. I battled them for about a year until I got them out of my tank. They are a definate nightmare. The Melafix is aggressive on pests and does not seem to hurt the coral. I have double dosed and it didn't kill coral. JME
What about Montipora Nudis, does this Melafix get rid of them too?

Unread 11/04/2009, 02:53 PM   #35
Wd40
Registered Member

Hey snake try coral rx.. I have those freaking nudis and the coral rx destroys them!!!!
The only thing is you have to dip the coral and then dip again in four days because it doesnt kill the eggs. I can tell you that the dip is pretty safe for the coral as i overdosed and left the coral in longer and doesnt look like it stressed it out. I also believe that coral rx kills AEFW and other things..

Wd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 06:53 PM   #36
fishdoc11
catch and release

This is a nice "how to" dipping thread:

ct vol's dipping method

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2009, 08:22 AM   #37
Los
Registered Member

FYI, CoralRX does not apparently kill nudis. It "removes" them and it is stressful for LPS corals if left in for 10 minutes, which is the upper end of what they recommend. At 5 minutes, I didn't have any problem, but at 10 minutes it caused several of my LPS to eject their zooxanthalae.

.\ ~ / The Big Mo' - in honor of Trey and Matt

Current Tank Info: 360 reef / 700 system with 4xSfiligoi XR6s, Sfiligoi XR4, BubbleKing 300 Deluxe Internal, Deltec PF601s, PM Kalk, Deltec FR616, Deltec FR509, AquaController APEX, Tunze 6305, 2x6205, 2x6101, 6100, 3xDart Golds, Barracuda, Snapper, 2xOceans Motions
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 10:54 AM   #38
doca
Registered Member

in wild reefs must be a red bugs predator...isnt it?????

doca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2009, 06:52 PM   #39
doca
Registered Member

i cant believe my eyes.....

2 hobbyist, 2 tanks, both with tons of redbugs...suddenly, in 1 nigth, no more redbugs....

only thing in common???....both in the same city, in the same neighborhood...and a very cold nigth, with 70 F degrees or less in both tanks...

no other thing has changed...but we both are pretty sure thats no more adult redbugs at least by now (the eggs could be alive)...

its very possible...finally, are only bad copepods....what do u think????

Unread 11/27/2009, 08:13 AM   #40
snake
Registered Member

Oh that's a good observation, so you are saying that red bugs are sensitive to low temperature, but I would say that also other inhabitants could suffer that temperature change and it would be very risky to expose all tank to that?

What fish do you keep in your tank? do you have crabs? snails ? starfish?

Unread 11/27/2009, 09:05 AM   #41
snake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkeenreefer View Post
I would like to add a pic of a "critter" I found today that was one of three that I removed from an Acro frag that had been loosing tissue over the last 4-5 weeks the loss was rapid to start, then seemed to slow ( at this slowing point I had moved the frag to the bottom of the tank away from the 250w ) I'm not sure if its relevent [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG] I was unable to take better pics of it , but to describe it ,it had a pointy clear tail almost the same lenth as its body which was a transperant darkish brown with darker parts to the head and tail reigion.
the drill bit is for refference it was a 5/64ths

It I belive has been feeding on the acro for over a month now does anyone know what this is. Oh no other Acro frags show signs of damaged tissue
Hi MadKeenreefer, I don't believe that is one of these unwanted redbugs, redbugs are much smaller, I would say like a half or less than a grain of salt

That seems more like a copepod (but I can't count it's legs) or other not harmfull pod

Unread 12/02/2009, 02:54 PM   #42
Dale Gribble
Moved On

Those are some nasty bugs. Hopefully I never get any of those. Yikes

Dale Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2009, 11:30 AM   #43
Phildean
Registered Member

Can you kill Acropora Eating flatworms (aefw).

Phildean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2009, 07:47 PM   #44
doca
Registered Member

for AEFW, the camel shrimp its a good solution, the thing here is to get it out the tank once he has finished the labor, without that bugs become a coral predator too....

Unread 12/04/2009, 09:40 PM   #45
N-A-S-O
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doca View Post
i cant believe my eyes.....

2 hobbyist, 2 tanks, both with tons of redbugs...suddenly, in 1 nigth, no more redbugs....

only thing in common???....both in the same city, in the same neighborhood...and a very cold nigth, with 70 F degrees or less in both tanks...

no other thing has changed...but we both are pretty sure thats no more adult redbugs at least by now (the eggs could be alive)...

its very possible...finally, are only bad copepods....what do u think????

I experienced the same type of situation in regards to temp. Six months ago I downsized tanks and my acros sat in four separate totes without a heater for about 12hrs. The temp of the one tote I was monitoring drooped down to 71F. After that I never had a red bug again. I always wondered if it was the temp.

Current Tank Info: 110g sps
N-A-S-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2009, 03:25 AM   #46
sabien
Registered Member

Seems as though there are hundreds of different pests that can ruin your tank.

sabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 09:31 AM   #47
snake
Registered Member

Well I did an experiment taking the afected acroporas out of the tank to keep them in a bucket for a week and let temperature get down to 22°Celsius.

Well the theory seems to work but I lost one acropora frag I believe because temp went below 22°C a midnight or so, I only monitored temp at morning and at evenining.

I believe I should have keep a heater to not let temp get lower than 22°C

Well I returned the acroporas to the main tank after the seventh day, to let any remaining bug in the tank die without having a host, Right now I belive I'm clean of redbugs so I can tell temp do kill red bugs but if you do not monitor closely you have a risk of having RTN also.

Unread 12/10/2009, 01:22 PM   #48
doca
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-A-S-O View Post
I experienced the same type of situation in regards to temp. Six months ago I downsized tanks and my acros sat in four separate totes without a heater for about 12hrs. The temp of the one tote I was monitoring drooped down to 71F. After that I never had a red bug again. I always wondered if it was the temp.
Ive been in contact with Borneman and he believes its possibel....in fact, now were 3 of us (in Mexico) that has the same results...and you...

good news...

in my tank, now is 2 weeks with no redbugs...

Unread 01/02/2010, 07:01 AM   #49
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

Great thread

After many pests and many years of dipping here's my conclusion.

While I still go thru the motions. Living with pests is like being married , when new you are really expsosed and after several years well if they are there you simply live with them and try to tolerated them b/c the alternative can be really painful. LOL

Current Tank Info: Officially lurking!
gasman059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2010, 05:20 PM   #50
customdusty
Registered Member

I just detected AEFW in my tank. I was thinking of doing dips and basting corals in CoralRx once a week, but I don't have a QT tank and it is really not an option for me to set up a whole new system.

What should I do?

Current Tank Info: 105g Mixed Rimless Starphire by Miracles - Reefthreads.com "Noteworthy Tank" November 19, 2010 Podcast #13 - Sfiligoi Stealth 12x39 T5 - 2x Vortech MP40W - BK/Vertex Alpha Cone 200 - Neptue Apex - 2 Part - Tunze ATO - BRS 5 Stage RO/DI
customdusty is offline   Reply With Quote