Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2019, 10:40 AM   #1
bmxman37
Registered Member

125 stand build question...

I have a lot of downtime at my job so I've been wanting to redo the stand that came with my standard trimmed 125, because i want it taller and i do not trust the one it came with.

so anyway after watching and reading for days, I have came up with using 2x6 for the top and 2x4 for everything else. using the basic schematics found on this site, and i will be using center braces on the front and back as i do not need to have doors (i have a fish room where the sump is going to be).

so my question is do i need to skin the tank with plywood for sheer support, or will following the basic plans be sufficient? i plan and wrapping the tank with this thin cedar planking i have and lightly burning it (it looks amazing the pieces i have torched so far), but will not provide any additional support to the the frame.

additionally, if i do not need to trim the stand with plywood, do i need to use cross supports on the sides? the plans show the basic frame with 2 additional verticle pieces placed on each corner.

any help will be greatly appreciated as i could have built ten stands in the time i have been reading about it!

bmxman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2019, 08:44 AM   #2
bmxman37
Registered Member

Please not all at once..

Unread 07/09/2019, 09:23 PM   #3
Mickey13
Registered Member

i built a stand for my 75 using some basic internt plans. mine is all 2x4 and doesnt use any center brace going down. i have center brace across the top frame where the tank sits. 3 2x4 on each leg and a bottom frame, no brace. holds up fine, no plywood needed.

very easy to do if you have a flat leve floor. that was my big problem but i got it done and it is good

i'll be building one for my 150g in a week or 2

Mickey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 07:48 AM   #4
bmxman37
Registered Member

ya i ended up putting a sheet of plywood on the top to level it out, my floors are so uneven its not even funny (scary would be the word ha) so it was hard to get everything perfect when it was 6 foot long but got it the best i could. i think i just have been overthinking it

Unread 07/16/2019, 07:00 PM   #5
Mickey13
Registered Member

are you using shims to level it out?

Mickey13 is offline   Reply With Quote